Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi help for Helix with Rockman XPR

FacemanJoe

Hi all.

I've used analog gear for 30+ years and have never used midi before. Now that I'm firmly in the digital world, I could use a bit of help.

I am patching a Rockman XPR rack unit into one of the Helix effects loops. Midi out from Helix is connected to midi in on the XPR.

If only I knew what to do next!

My goal is to change the presets on the XPR using the Helix. If I'm thinking right, I can only make one midi change on the XPR per Helix preset - right? Or can I use snapshots to make multiple XPR preset changes within a single Helix patch?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe

While I haven't integrated the Helix with my XPR (sold it actually because of the Helix) I'm very familiar with the XPR.  It ONLY accepts patch changes.  So you can't as example, send midi to the XPR to engage the chorus.  You can only pick patches.    

FWIW, I kept my Sustainer and an EQ, but Glenn is coming out with a Scholz preset this month...  and I can't wait..   Take notice at the little "trick" at 6:26 !!!!    

Thank you for the reply. It took about an hour but I was able to get the Helix to play nice with the XPR. Patch changes on the XPR via the Helix work perfectly.

Glenn's stuff is great. Looking forward to his next Artist series.

Joe

Just in case you weren't aware, there is a plethora of info on rockman.rf  and perfectsoundrefurbs  

Although I put it aside awaiting the latest update.. I think the bucket brigade delays in the Helix can mimic the Rockman delays and I find I can tweak the Line 6 Chorus to be about spot on too.   Now with the 10-band EQ I may jump back on it, but waiting for Glenn's preset for a starting point.

I have used the Rockman gear since the beginning, but not to get the "Boston" sound but rather my own.  The Rockman gear came so close, but was always lacking in some aspect for me.  I wanted the trails of the delays longer, the chorus deeper and slower, a more spring reverb sound, and for things like the XPR, I wanted a way to gracefully bypass the compressor altogether more easily, and adjust the EQ of the signal going to the delays and reverbs. etc..      

With the Helix, I have all of those capabilities, the only thing that has eluded me is getting anywhere near the sustainer sound and more importantly character. 

We shall see...   no pressure Glenn !!!  (if you're reading this).

Thanks Miles. All good stuff there. 

The combo of the XPR and Helix really puts the XPR over the top and addresses some of the shortcomings that some felt the XPR had back in the day - mainly that it was limited in the effects areas.

I've got the XPR in the Helix loop but I haven't found a way to use XPR without having a cab model in the signal chain. That's more of a curiosity though, as I'm getting an absolutely amazing tone. I put a para eq after the XPR and it really sounds great and highlights those mid frequencies.  The funny part is that the para eq was from one of Helix Scott's patches and I dropped it into my Boston patch. Worked a charm. I added a studio preamp block in front of the XPR today but it didn't improve on the tone I'm getting so I'm going to leave it as is. 

I'm going to be jamming loads of Boston with a band soon so I'm glad that i got it all sorted. Thanks for the advice.

Rock on!

• 4 months later...

Hi help please i have a rockman xpr rack module what are the best type of speakers to buy covering the full freqency range to get the best from the Rockman xpr i have a stereo amp but really need advice on which speakers for home use say 50 watt per side stephenfell1@hotmail.co.uk