Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fremen's Helix presets

fremen

Hi guys ! I just released my much anticipated pack of presets... Get them here :

http://axefremen.blogspot.com/2016/08/fremen-helix-big-pack-175-presets.html

You can check the presets list here : http://pages.intnet.mu/fremen/Misc/Femen_Helix_presets.xls

I've yet to record a proper demo but I posted a few teasers already :

• Upvote 8

This is what I get to play with all week!

Had worship team this weekend so I didn't have time to load them yet. :(

Same here. I actually bought these in Church between Sunday School and the service. I probably won't start loading them until tomorrow (or maybe late tonight) since I am busy all day.

• Upvote 1

Anyone who already owns Glenn Delaune and HELIX Channel presets  AND these FREMEN ones care to comment ? 

I own some GDL and HELIX Channel presets but have to commit time to setting them up  and buying IRs ( in case of HC )   so am curious if its worth just focusing on Fremen -   

I want to get to a limited set of patches that i can just run with for a long time-  basically gert over this incessant downloading of CustomTone - maybe learn how to set up amp tones myself - dunno 

but as someone not used to setting up amps for crunch or OD much - dunno if to bother learning or just get the best patches and tweak those... 

decisions decisions !

• Upvote 1

I got through the presets tonight through a Tech 21 Trademark 60 and through my studio monitors (JBL 305s and sub). I'll try to go through my powered monitor tomorrow. All I can say, is "oh fuuuuuuuddddddggggggeeeeeee." Only I didn't say fudge. A number of these presets will be the basis of my tones going forward. They really are that good compared to everything else I've tried on my own, bought or downloaded. There is so much in this pack that it will take me a while to figure out what I'll use and then I'll add my own effects etc.. to them. Feels like money well spent to me.

• Upvote 1

Anyone who already owns Glenn Delaune and HELIX Channel presets  AND these FREMEN ones care to comment ? 

I own some GDL and HELIX Channel presets but have to commit time to setting them up  and buying IRs ( in case of HC )   so am curious if its worth just focusing on Fremen -   

I want to get to a limited set of patches that i can just run with for a long time-  basically gert over this incessant downloading of CustomTone - maybe learn how to set up amp tones myself - dunno 

but as someone not used to setting up amps for crunch or OD much - dunno if to bother learning or just get the best patches and tweak those... 

decisions decisions !

In my opinion, there's no comparison.  My Delaunne artist presets go unused.  They're nowhere close to this league.  YMMV.

I also think that due to Fremen's IRs, I couldn't get the quality of his tones no matter how much tweaking I did with the stock cabs.  There's something special here.  Really.  

• Upvote 3

decisions decisions !

I've never bought patches, though I don't fault anyone who buys or sells them.  So I can't comment on the quality of any of these guys' work.  

I know they are all talented and I'm sure they make good sounding presets.  I also don't fault them for charging for their time they put into building these presets.  It can be time consuming, although the Helix really makes it much faster than other units I've used.  The Fremen pack is 175 presets....wow!  Dude has some patience to make that many :)

I do think however that you really should learn to program the Helix to your taste and figure out what works for you.  I wouldn't count on other people's patches being your "dream tone" because it's your ears you have to satisfy, your guitar affecting the tone, and the way you play ultimately.  Not to mention the speakers you play through.  No two players and setups are exactly alike.  

So whether it starts with someone else's patch first, or one you've made from scratch, I don't think that learning to dial in the Helix for your own specific needs will be a waste of time.  

Like the saying goes:

Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day

Teach him to fish he'll eat for a lifetime :)

Just my .02

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Freman's new preset pack is STELLAR. Even comes with IR's. I purchased IR"s previously to this pack which I don't need to use now (could have saved that and put it towards the FREMAN pack). I had to pay in Canadian funds which put me close to $70.00  :( :( :( 

But worth it !

These are amazing. And yes, I can and do make some of my own patches. This saves me hours though. There are so many great patches that I can add an effect to tweak just a hair to suit my needs. There are a bunch I will use as is. Great stuff and well worth it

How does anyone produce this many patch/presets???

I have been laboring over just 4 for days and nights.

Every time I think I have it, another idea springs up. Man I so dig this unit.

Been perfecting a template of stereo split dual Path A preamping and dual stereo split Path B post amp mod, delay, reverbs out to stereo power amp cab and powered EV pair that is just blowing my mind.

So much more to this puppy than turning on an amp block. Takes a while to experiment with the extent of the DSP on each path as to what works the best.

It's a tweaking vortex of infinite params. 

Ah, funny thing regarding dual paths : it's only after a while that I realized that each has its own DSP. I was hitting the ceiling with everything on the first one on a dual metal amp setup when I remembered that I read that somewhere…

I found a cool trick by splitting the amps from the cabs and putting the cabs on PathB helps my DSP. I also find many times I can just use preamps instead of amps even w cabs and it sounds better in some cases, less buzzy and bass muddy but "djents" like a mother. I think we forget some times these things are not really amps and cabs and you can do some outright freaky weird routing but come up with amazing tones. If you stay in the traditional mode of basic rig line stuff you miss the more bizarre things you can do with this unit. 

I do not know how you rendered so many cool presets, I am working on just my 5th one right now but want to go back and change to some of my new ideas. You must have a extreme talent for programming on this puppy. 175 presets, wow, and low priced as well. Hope to get that bundle maybe first of the month, that Dream Theater one sold me. 

• Upvote 1

Good patches! Of course the ones I use will be eq'd to my exact tastes. I tend to have more low mids in my presets, but that's just personal preference. Great building blocks/starting points to your own versions of them, though!

Good patches! Of course the ones I use will be eq'd to my exact tastes. I tend to have more low mids in my presets, but that's just personal preference. Great building blocks/starting points to your own versions of them, though!

Some may disagree here (heck Thibault might disagree) but I look at these more as amazing templates. Obviously some of the second setlist are meant to be ready to fly presets, but most of the others are just amazing sounding templates that you can plug stuff in like delays, extra dirt etc. I actually think his ear is amazing and can't imagine people tweaking the eq as that is what makes his stuff great to me but to each their own. We all have different tastes, and rigs that make a difference. I highly recommend these to all new Helix users. I get the people that say to make your own but these are a great way to learn the building blocks of the unit.

• Upvote 1

Thanks ! I used to use more low mids but it was conflicting with other instruments...

Next I'm going to work on a smaller pack for Variax users. My JTV 89 models has been customized to death, that should be fun !

Some may disagree here (heck Thibault might disagree) but I look at these more as amazing templates. Obviously some of the second setlist are meant to be ready to fly presets, but most of the others are just amazing sounding templates that you can plug stuff in like delays, extra dirt etc. I actually think his ear is amazing and can't imagine people tweaking the eq as that is what makes his stuff great to me but to each their own. We all have different tastes, and rigs that make a difference. I highly recommend these to all new Helix users. I get the people that say to make your own but these are a great way to learn the building blocks of the unit.

No, I agree, you can use them as starting points for sure !

Question Thiboult :- do these FREMEN presets come each clearly labelled as to whether they're made for a humbucker guitar, single-coil Strat type, or P90 single coil ? or are just general purpose ?

I'd like to know - and even sort presets according to which model (JTV) or mag pickup to use.

Usually I use bridge humbuckers for everything high gain, single coil on cleans (or both humbuckers like the middle position on a Les Paul), and either one for crunch. The preset list is very comprehensive in that regard, check in what category is a preset

http://pages.intnet.mu/fremen/Misc/Femen_Helix_presets.xls

• Upvote 1

I finally had the time to do a proper video demo… one hour playing (warning : extreme overindulgence !), 2:30 hours editing, 20 min uploading and here it is :p
  • Upvote 5

I've always enjoyed watching Glenn and Scott talk about their presets, but I never really felt inclined to buy them because I enjoy tinkering with the machine as much as playing the guitar. I enjoy the trial-and-error and discovering the cool stuff, in short I tend towards "do it yourself". That said, your stuff floored me and I think I'll be throwing down for this package, even if just to learn from it! Really impressive!

Got these presets last night and so far I'm liking it a lot!  I'm a casual player and really don't have a lot of time building my own presets, and this helps me enjoy my Helix even more.  Although I also enjoy the process of building my own patch from scratch, having a quality-made presets at my disposal is a luxury that I like to have.  

Great Job Freman! I loved the demo, and the extreme overindulgence !

I purchased the patches! Great work!

I used my Les Paul Traditional, look forward to testing my strat, and everything I tested sounded great!

I like how well you balanced the eq on all amps to work great with both (middle position) pickups on! This shows the quality of your ear/design! So many downloaded patch's don't work on that. Also you set up volume level, like you state, close to what the original Line 6 patch volume level is set, paying attention to clipping issues! so they were equal to all my original settings (so I didn't tear off my head phones upon switching to next patch, like some patches I downloaded...)

​This is a great start for so many amps, gives us all who purchase a great spot to start/Templates, and basically add your personal effects, and I would say minor tweaks on eq, if you need too.... I didn't for my head phones but I'll find out with my FRFR at studio.

The IR's are better than the ones I have purchased, I'm going to use some on my patches that I have made.

I only used my headphones so far, I look forward to hearing this through my FRFR at my studio!

Someone asked about purchasing compared to others, or learning from your own ears and experience?

I am one who always jumps in without the manual, and the Helix is awesome for that so easy to use! But I also like to learn what others are doing.

Glenn Delaune and Scott at Helix channel are great! They have helped me a lot.

I purchase from Glenn, and loved what he has to offer, His matching of artist's is awesome, and love Scott's teaching too, but this Freman 175 download is different as it offers so many presets ready to go! You could use these as is!!! and add to them the effects you want, and if needed for your Guitar and speaker system, tweak to your liking...

Very much a quality job!

I added them to my USER 2 and 3 not to mess up my originals, mind you, Also freman you might want to state in your READ ME you have preset imports (preset 1 changed my USER2 to USER1, but it is easy to rename on device back to USER2) And I think the preset 2 changed my USER 3 to USER 4. It kind of startled me at first seeing 2 USER1 after the import.

Also freman what are you using for your FRFR Speaker? 

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your feedback !

I tried to rename the setlists on the editor but couldn't

I'm using a pair of Atomic CLR - but also my old hifi speakers, as my ears are tuned to them.

I did another demo, a much shorter one. This one is from a tweaking session 12 days ago, I was mostly adding a volume block and tweaking the delay/reverb in all presets - but I left out the tweaking parts, there's just some noodling on different blues-rock and rock tones here

• Upvote 2

Fremen, you hit a homerun on Helix!

Not surprising considering your success on other platforms, too!

Great investment.  you get a lot of useable presets for a good price!

Now all I need is for Glenn to finish his latest batch...  hehehe   :P

• Upvote 1