Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fremen's Helix presets

fremen

Anyone here who's purchased the pack - and is a "crunch" or "clean" type of player who goes for tones more like say fusion guys like Robben Ford, Scofield, Larry Carlton - and their tones - rather than HM or more high gain "shredder" type stuff   care to comment on whether the pack suits that sort of playing too ? 

Something more "Creamy" - ?  

Thanks ! I used to use more low mids but it was conflicting with other instruments...

Next I'm going to work on a smaller pack for Variax users. My JTV 89 models has been customized to death, that should be fun !

Oh, this I am GREATLY interest in. I haven't used my JTV 89 much lately (it's been at my parent's house for some recording my dad is doing), but I definitely feel like I'm under using it's capabilities with the Helix.

Thanks again for your response guys !

In case you missed it, I also released this :

http://axefremen.blogspot.com/2016/07/line6-helix-acoustic-simulation-presets.html

Anyone here who's purchased the pack - and is a "crunch" or "clean" type of player who goes for tones more like say fusion guys like Robben Ford, Scofield, Larry Carlton - and their tones - rather than HM or more high gain "shredder" type stuff   care to comment on whether the pack suits that sort of playing too ? 

Something more "Creamy" - ?  

Check the first minutes of that video :

I always have Larry Carlton tone in "The BP Blues" from "Last nite" live album when I'm after a blues-rock tone, or some of Robben Ford tones too

Of course I'll let the users comment on that ;)

• Upvote 2

Thanks ! I used to use more low mids but it was conflicting with other instruments...

Next I'm going to work on a smaller pack for Variax users. My JTV 89 models has been customized to death, that should be fun !

sign me up for that one bro!!! just got my 89F and loving it!!! how soon you think?

A few weeks, I worked too much on those presets and need to recharge my batteries :) However I may upload a few bonus presets for the current pack soon, as I just captured IRs from my 2x12 cab with G12 EVH speakers

• Upvote 2

<I always have Larry Carlton tone in "The BP Blues" from "Last nite" live album when I'm after a blues-rock tone...> 

didnt recall that tune - so youtubed - it .  Sounded familiar - then thought - I've heard that melody on a Crusaders LP of mine i'm sure.  So bit more listening. and yes.  Pretty sure the Crusaders did it as "My Mama Told Me So" - in the Southern Knights album.   I suspect the Crusaders added a middle section to it- as they tended to do a lot - hence the different name.  

But of course Larry Carlton was in the band and does the first chorus of the tune.  

Well done Freman! 

I purchased the patches! Great work!

I'm a Bass Player, but  use to play different instruments in my home studio, to build my own songs (Guitar,Keyboards).

Have you never think to work and sell patches for Bass instruments ? 

I think you have a lot of experience on Helix device to do a great job also with that instrument.

There are so many great 'sound' from Marcus Miller, Jimmy Haslip,Victor Wooten,Nathan East, to emulate with Helix device

BR/Massimo 

• Upvote 2

I don't have a bass guitar unfortunately, but I thought of borrowing one, yes. If I do bass (and acoustic guitar) presets, I'll just add them to the existing pack for free

• Upvote 2

Absolutely not... I should be playing the local tropical music to make money where I live :/ selling presets is the only way to earn something out of music for me !

• Upvote 1

Fremen you are an awesome player, and you have a great EAR too!!!

You need to get off that island and and get over here in the US and find someone to tour with, you would have a great following here! Actually anywhere in the WORLD! The way you adlib to those works of art, you EXPAND on them! Extreme additions yes!, But you know you're adding extreme, That means your ability is Steve Vai'ish and you know when or not to go extreme if there was a vocal involved... I hope that makes since!

Thank you for your work on theses presets!!! Look forward to your future work!!!

I am Happy to contribute to your success, by purchasing to your work!!!!!

• Upvote 1

A new experiment :

Haha. I did something similar in a short section of one of my songs (Strings Of Dimensionality, starting around 5:45), but with the harmony delay. Snapshots certainly add a nearly unlimited flexibility to an already incredibly flexible device.

I had an opportunity to finally use the Fremen presets at rehearsal last night.

In addition to sounding great at home with just me playing, i can say the presets i used at rehearsal were eq'd perfectly to cut through the mix with the rest of the band. I could easily he heard without being overly loud.

I didn't tweak anything either. Bone stock these presets are great.

• Upvote 1

Just bought the pack. I'm loving the tones you designed!! Worth the $50 and then some. This is awesome brotha!! Thanks for your hard work!! So far all the cleans and blues tones I'm playing on my Eric Johnson Strat< and the metal and other sounds I'm using my Jackson and Ibanez. SICK!! Thanks again< rock on!!

• Upvote 1

Hey Fremen - tempted though I am to just buy these - I think as a JTV owner i'll wait for the Variax pack. I'm kinda hoping that the VARIAX pack will be nothing but SNAPSHOT presets - since this seems to me to be the future. And most versatile . 

But in the meantime - is there any chance you could add  Dr Z  and Divided By 13  SNAPSHOT presets to your current set of snapshots in your pack ?  since those two models are ones i've been curious about and used in the Pod 500 a fair bit.  

------------------------

Also - how soon do you reckon your Variax patches will be ready for release ?  

I'd love it if i could just have one bank for Strat model, one for LP, another for 335, Another for Archtops ( maybe for a SPECIFIC arch top - i'd go for the Super 400 ) and one for the acoustic models etcetera etcetera. ( I think we need a separate patch for EACH most used steel string model - martin. gibson )

Maybe a "vote" might be useful for you to establish which JTV models we owners would most like to see you do patches for ? (  so you don't have to do them for every model - just focus on those most likely to be used the most ) 

And maybe if you can provide one custom Variax Workshop model for metal users ( i'm not one of them ) who want a high output pickup type ?  ( although seems to me just setting a gain block at the beginning of a patch achieves exactly the same thing ! ) 

------- lastly ----

personally i'm thinking of moving to a modus-operandi where I ONLY have a MAXIMUM of 8 presets in each of my setlists, ideally even less - even just 4 -  Why ?  simplicity and choice-stress-minimisation for one thing - and secondly because 8 is the maximum number of presets we can see in one go on the HELIX screen. And also the number of patches we an switch with by means of the pedals. 

Should be said - this MO is because I don't have  need to keep setlists for an *actual* song set because I don't actually gig in any cover band or a band that would need separate presets per-song in a setlist. So just want a set of universal go-to  patches I can use for everything. 

So a bank of 8 Strat model Variax snapshots - with each preset being for a different amp - and so on for different models would be cool :)

just my ideas - my tuppeneths :)

Well, been at this for a good month now, tried all sorts of user "presets" which range from complete programming crap to just unusable. Why so many of these terrible things are being loaded into the custom tone section is beyond me, every one I have tried either needs almost a start over edit or they are just not worth the trouble. Really have just deleted them all after about 30 secs if that long. One cat had a couple nice Pagey ones I kept and mod'ed but in general I will not be wasting my time with the custom tone section again. 

Then I started listening to Doctor Freman's work, and this guy, wow, he has a gift, or Helix has a gift. 

From what I have heard so far not only are these worth the money they save me hundreds of hours of programming sweats. I thought I was coming up with some cool well thought out stuff but this guy, he is like what "meambobbo" was to the HD POD writing his own user manual on programming, but all things considered Mr. Freman is a bloody genius! I am waiting on payday to get this pack. 175, really, it's taken me a month to get 20 good personal cool ones. He should consider writing his own user manual with the tips and understandings he has come up with. From just a few I have heard even if the rest are are mediocre still well worth the price for such well thought out and tweaked presets. 

God of the Helix! 

Line 6 you should be paying this guy to load in the factory presets!!! 

• Upvote 1

I just got this awesome bundle the other day and I believe the IR's are supposed to be loaded in slots 72-98. He tells you where in his notes on his blog where you purchase them from. They are truly great tones!! Enjoy!!