Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fremen's Helix presets

fremen

Just purchased the pack. You can see just how much work has gone into these patches just by taking a good look at the amp settings. Fremen has really tweaked things to get them absolutely right. The emphasis is on tone. You'll need to do a fair bit of work to incorporate Fremen's models into snapshots, add effects/ wahs etc. Some of the models are so jam packed with good stuff that when you add alternative snapshot settings you overload the system and get digital artefacts and other odd stuff switching between snapshots. I added a wah to the Rectoball patch and an alternate setting for the Simple Delay for a lead snapshot - when switching back to snap 1 all sorts of digital mayhem could be heard. I spent a couple of hours tweaking the patch to get it to work ok. In any case, the tones are amazing and well worth the bucks.

Ps. I also noticed an 'electrical' -sounding spark type sound when using the acoustic sims.....weird.... I checked the power supply immediately.....only occurred with acoustic sims....

I just got this awesome bundle the other day and I believe the IR's are supposed to be loaded in slots 72-98. He tells you where in his notes on his blog where you purchase them from. They are truly great tones!! Enjoy!!

Yes, I put them there on purpose because I thought that most guys that use IRs would use at least the first 50 slots.

Thanks for your comments guys !

I won't work on the Variax presets soon unfortunately, I barely touch my guitars these days... I'm sick with a nasty tropical flu that doesn't want to go away :/

Just now getting to play more with this pack. Im enjoying it!

LOL I finally figured out just where and how to install the IR's that come with this pack. Duh on my part  :P

Neat trick I learned is you can click-hold & drag 5 or more IR's from the folder "right into" the IR slots in the editor!

I didn' t know you could do that until now. Its the little things  :D

Now what we need IN A BIG WAY, is a save function for those IR's into a file so that they can be swapped, renamed and reloaded and then re-saved before or after an update, change or re-install. And if this already exists then just color me stupid once again and let me know please... Duh...  ;)

Variax patches in Helix that include pickup selection, automation controllers with volume and tone controls, and tunings would be great. These work especially well for changing guitar and open tuning settings within the same patch using snapshots.

But there's also a world of things you can do with a Variax using Workbench HD that can make a real difference in tone. For example, I found I can get much better Tele, Strat and Les Paul tones on the Variax Standard using the Masonic Plank body model instead of the stock body models. To me, this body model makes the tones much more realistic and usable (same with the Variax 300). Also balancing the string volumes can make a big difference in overall tone, as well as making sure the overall output level isn't too hot.

These are not things Helix can address. But like recording, getting it right at the source is the place to start. So Variax patches in Helix should start with maximizing the Variax output, not compromising for source issues in the amp and block models.

Great info, amsdenj; I'll give those ideas a try asap. When you combine the Helix assortment of amps and the Variax assortment of models (especially when tuned using Workbench), one is faced with a mind-boggling array of tones to sift through.

That's why I am very interested in a freman pack that might include Variax + Helix presets + IRs designed to compliment each other. BTW, Fremen it would be great if you included a preset(s) for rock/blues slide guitar (open G or A, ala Lowell George, for example).

Just purchased the pack. You can see just how much work has gone into these patches just by taking a good look at the amp settings. Fremen has really tweaked things to get them absolutely right. The emphasis is on tone. You'll need to do a fair bit of work to incorporate Fremen's models into snapshots, add effects/ wahs etc. Some of the models are so jam packed with good stuff that when you add alternative snapshot settings you overload the system and get digital artefacts and other odd stuff switching between snapshots. I added a wah to the Rectoball patch and an alternate setting for the Simple Delay for a lead snapshot - when switching back to snap 1 all sorts of digital mayhem could be heard. I spent a couple of hours tweaking the patch to get it to work ok. In any case, the tones are amazing and well worth the bucks.

Ps. I also noticed an 'electrical' -sounding spark type sound when using the acoustic sims.....weird.... I checked the power supply immediately.....only occurred with acoustic sims....

I found that on many presets the settings on the effect block was the same and they where also bypassed and not even had a footswitched assigend to it.

Especially delay and modulation effects.

So my guess is he just added some effect blocks when he built the preset that have defaualt settings and left it there bypassed so its just a matter of delete some block to free up some DSP

Interesting. To me the Axe sounds the most present, but there's so much variability possible in settings, really I think this says more about your good ear for this than the units themselves.

He didnt use the same amp or effects on clean and dirty sounds

On Axe he used

Ultraclean, Morgan+DC30 crunch, Friedman BE HGSP, Mesa MKIIC+ lead

Amplifier

Plexi 1959 LIVE, MK IV lead LIVE, JCM800 crunch 1, JC120 clean.

And Helix no mention anywhere but My guess is MK IV Lead and maybe a marshall crunch and Roland clean

And then there is different modelled pedals in the presets aswell

He mention something about this in a comment "which is now deleted?" that he just wanted to reamp the first Helix video using presets from his Axe and Amplifier "packs"

So its not really a "fair" comparison as he didnt use the exact same amps and effects

But yes the Axe sounds fuller and to my ears also better.

He didnt use the same amp or effects on clean and dirty sounds

On Axe he used

Ultraclean, Morgan+DC30 crunch, Friedman BE HGSP, Mesa MKIIC+ lead

Amplifier

Plexi 1959 LIVE, MK IV lead LIVE, JCM800 crunch 1, JC120 clean.

And Helix no mention anywhere but My guess is MK IV Lead and maybe a marshall crunch and Roland clean

And then there is different modelled pedals in the presets aswell

He mention something about this in a comment "which is now deleted?" that he just wanted to reamp the first Helix video using presets from his Axe and Amplifier "packs"

So its not really a "fair" comparison as he didnt use the exact same amps and effects

But yes the Axe sounds fuller and to my ears also better.

It was not meant to be a fair comparison because, with each processor, I chose my favorite amp models for these type of sounds. For the lead, in the Helix it's the MKIV, in the Amplifire too, and in the Axe it's the MKIIC+ - but I could also uses the Tucana etc

I found that on many presets the settings on the effect block was the same and they where also bypassed and not even had a footswitched assigend to it.

Especially delay and modulation effects.

So my guess is he just added some effect blocks when he built the preset that have defaualt settings and left it there bypassed so its just a matter of delete some block to free up some DSP

There's more effect blocks than footswitches so a choice had to be made on a per preset basis, and I think that each user can easily customize. Some effects are not assigned to a footswitch because their on/off status is attached to a snapshot. The modulation settings are the same through all presets on purpose because, as I said for my big pack, « My presets are first and foremost a very big collection of amp/cab tones, effects are a bonus » – I've just selected the settings I like the best for the chorus, flanger and phaser. Generally there's minimal differences in reverb and delay settings ; this time I decided to use the Hall reverb instead of the plate. Drive blocks settings are different to match the amp model used.

First and foremost, again, it's a collection of amp tones - an acoustic simulation, different types of clean, a few crunch, a Dumble-like tone, a few Marshall, a few high gain ones… These are the tones that get all my bases covered, and if I play a song which will need a specific delay or modulation, the preset I will use will be based on one of those. That's my approach :)

Variax patches in Helix that include pickup selection, automation controllers with volume and tone controls, and tunings would be great. These work especially well for changing guitar and open tuning settings within the same patch using snapshots.

But there's also a world of things you can do with a Variax using Workbench HD that can make a real difference in tone. For example, I found I can get much better Tele, Strat and Les Paul tones on the Variax Standard using the Masonic Plank body model instead of the stock body models. To me, this body model makes the tones much more realistic and usable (same with the Variax 300). Also balancing the string volumes can make a big difference in overall tone, as well as making sure the overall output level isn't too hot.

Yes I'm thinking of all this. Just after the HD update, I was displeased with the Strat sounds so I did a lot of tests, and I also identified the Masonic as the best body for quack sounds. I saved different "customized" Strat models in position 4 (middle+bridge) and I’m thinking of a preset where each snapshot will select a different one. I also have some open tunings for slide work ; I even have a bank, on my Variax, where each "preset" is a different open chord (G, D, A and C), it's fun to strike the open strings, or even harmonics from all strings, and move the selector

Here's a demo of the Variax from my youtube channel :

Interesting, I noticed no volume adjustment on your patches.  Any changes to the global string volume?

yes, I adjusted them, can't remember the settings though, my Variax isn't home at the moment

Now what we need IN A BIG WAY, is a save function for those IR's into a file so that they can be swapped, renamed and reloaded and then re-saved before or after an update, change or re-install. And if this already exists then just color me stupid once again and let me know please... Duh...  ;)

You can export your IRs now, but the rub is that when you reload them, they will fill the slots in whatever order they are in your computer's file system, which very likely won't be the same order they were before you exported.  There are some cumbersome work-arounds.  There's an IdealScale entry that addresses this, and several other really nice features that has the potential to make IR management much more intuitive and transparent without the need to worry about slot numbers at all, or you having to shuffle your existing IR's around to accommodate preset packages like Fremen's, and so on.

Check it out - and if you like it, consider voting it up:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Improve-Impulse-Response-IR-Management/836099-23508

I didn't used it live yet, only in rehearsals, however I guess I would do as with the Axe-Fx : it will depends on the PA and the acoustic of the venue. I would probably cut at 80 hz for a start

Bought the Big Pack yesterday.

That's all I can say is THANKS!!

You have made my transistion from a real amp in 4CM to a Direct Solution a quick, easy and painless move - I have everything I need in the pack, a few tweaks to effects etc (which is what its all about yeah!!?) and thats it.

For the 1st time in 25+ years I will be gigging this weekend without a real amp behind me - we as a band have a rehearsal with full PA some time this week to finalise EQ tweaks etc but I'm there...and I couldn't have done it in such a short time frame without this pack.

If you're still working on a pack for JTV Variax users  i'd love for there to be a preset ( with snapshots ) for each most commonly used acoustic guitar too - J200, D20, 12 string etc  

Maybe one for the arch top too ? which I think might benefit from an IR WITHOUT an amp at-all i the chain ( the tone for the JTV arch top is quite subtle and  much gets lost when put through some tube amps

Quick Question for all of you who are you using this pack in a live direct situation - how are you addressing Lo/Hi cuts - Global? (Not Ideal) or by adding a block somewhere?

Or, do you really need to add anything..!!!!!

Check higher up on this thread for answer.

Similar to question from Rocco_Crocco 23rd Sept, asks:

"Fremen, I searched this thread and others and can't seem to find the answer... how do you set your global EQ in Helix for live with a band applications?"

See subsequent replies.

Hope this helps.

Check higher up on this thread for answer.

Similar to question from Rocco_Crocco 23rd Sept, asks:

"Fremen, I searched this thread and others and can't seem to find the answer... how do you set your global EQ in Helix for live with a band applications?"

See subsequent replies.

Hope this helps.

Yes, seen that - however, not sure where the Hi/Lo cuts are applied - Global, at cab/IR level, existing EQ blocks or in an additional EQ block at the end of path to address the cuts?

all of the above are all valid options really, no one method is best. Depends on model and cab, room, speaker, cables, pickup, guitar, humidity, air conditioned, temperature.  For me personally I start with 130 hz low cut (bass player and kick cover all of that) and about 7 hz high cut on the cabinet as a start. 

I use fremens and glen's stuff almost exclusively and for me personally I start with 130 hz low cut (bass player and kick cover all of that) and about 7 hz high cut on the cabinet or ir as a start. 

If the room is trouble then I use the global eq.

I am also very careful of what frequencies I send to a patch that is reverbery.

In my opinion, there's no comparison. My Delaunne artist presets go unused. They're nowhere close to this league. YMMV.

I also think that due to Fremen's IRs, I couldn't get the quality of his tones no matter how much tweaking I did with the stock cabs. There's something special here. Really.

Have not tried these yet, but the GDL patches I've purchased are not working as well as I would have hoped in my studio. No disrespect to Glenn, there are too many variables beyond his control to make everyone happy. But I was able to get a small set from Glenn for $9.99, so not all is lost - and I haven't fiddled with them much either - so there's that too.

i have a quick question. fremen did u make these patches with your tone and vol knobs on your guitar on full?

Yes

Free update for owners of the big pack : 20 presets (some updated, some new), two new IRs, and my Variax bundle

• Upvote 1