Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fremen's Helix presets

fremen

I redownloaded the big pack. I am seeing the new Pink Floyd presets but not the Variax ones. Where are they located?

Rocco_Crocco.

Have a look inside the "Bonus Presets - Pink Floyd" Folder there is a Workbench HD Bundle which is the thing you're seeking.

File Name: TDR 28.09.2016.bun

That will contain the required Variax Patch info.

Hope this helps

So when I double click this file it opens Workbench and, if my Variax is connected it downloads to it correct? Which presets in the pack are controlling the Variax?

Hi slicbald,

First up hook up your Variax to Workbench as usual - if you have any custom Variax settings of your own in your guitar - make a backup copy, just to be safe!

Now load the "TDR 28.09.2016.bun" into Workbench and then click on the "Upload All" button to overwrite the models that are already installed.

Now when using The Pink Floyd preset patches in Helix, your Helix will automatically detect and reconfigure you Variax with Fremen's custom Variax programmes.

Hope this makes sense. You can always revert to your custom or factory presets for Variax whenever you wish - just reload those instead.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 2

Just to totally clarify things - Are you issuing a *seperate*  patch set JUST for JTV?   or is the intent just to include it all in the Big 175 pack as an addendum ( which you already have done )  ?

And were you meaning HELIX presets for the JTV  or specifically just a Variax Workbench Custom pack for the JTV itself ?  

or both ? 

Am just wondering whether to wait or just buy the BIG pack and get everything later...

Just to totally clarify things - Are you issuing a *seperate*  patch set JUST for JTV?   or is the intent just to include it all in the Big 175 pack as an addendum ( which you already have done )  ?

And were you meaning HELIX presets for the JTV  or specifically just a Variax Workbench Custom pack for the JTV itself ?  

or both ? 

Am just wondering whether to wait or just buy the BIG pack and get everything later...

It is an addendum to the big pack, and they are workbench patches for variax, not helix patches.

Hi DC,

Thanks for clarifying that. It will be easier when we can do these things in the editor through Helix(hopefully). I've been using the JTV69S as my main guitar since the first of the year and mostly the Lester. Have not really been too impressed with the acoustic models. I would sure like to see Line 6 give us the raw piezo output option so we can take advantage of the IRs from Redwires.

Thanks 

Hi DC,

Thanks for clarifying that. It will be easier when we can do these things in the editor through Helix(hopefully). I've been using the JTV69S as my main guitar since the first of the year and mostly the Lester. Have not really been too impressed with the acoustic models. I would sure like to see Line 6 give us the raw piezo output option so we can take advantage of the IRs from Redwires.

Thanks 

No problem.

See the comment above from "taylorbeats" - these Variax edits seem so breathe a new life into his JVT69S acoustic models!  Even his wife is impressed! WoW!!!!!!

Yes, the addendum is for Helix users that also have a Variax. But most presets will also work great even if you don't have a Variax, only the acoustic ones won't sound the same

Yes, the addendum is for Helix users that also have a Variax. But most presets will also work great even if you don't have a Variax, only the acoustic ones won't sound the same

But what about this ?:  <Next I'm going to work on a smaller pack for Variax users. My JTV 89 models has been customized to death, that should be fun !> 

Is this going to be a HELIX preset pack dedicated for JTV guitars culled and adapted from the Big 175 pack - or just a pack of workbench settings for the JTV ? 

But what about this ?:  <Next I'm going to work on a smaller pack for Variax users. My JTV 89 models has been customized to death, that should be fun !> 

Is this going to be a HELIX preset pack dedicated for JTV guitars culled and adapted from the Big 175 pack - or just a pack of workbench settings for the JTV ? 

Not sure about that one currently, for various reasons I'll develop later.

What's everyone opinion about this ? Your answers may help me decide what to do...

That Creed sound is good. However, I do originals and studio work, not covers, so would much prefer a focus on useful and versatile tones, without worrying so much about the FX, or about duplicating popular tones for specific artists or songs. Tone, tone, tone. Provide a combination of Variax models/pickups (workbench settings)  and Helix presets with IRs that you design to work well together. Examples to provide:

- clean tones (for various genres; eg rock, blues, etc)

- crunch tones (for various genres; eg rock, blues, etc)

- lead tones (for various genres; eg rock, blues, etc)

- etc tones

- acoustic

- open tunings (typical, such as for rock or blues slide ... of course, user could change these as needed)

Of course, the Variax tones and Helix tones would stand on their own separately, but together they would change lives, and eliminate hunger and poverty.

The user could add FX modules to suit their needs. The method you used on the smaller Helix pack (snapshot for clean, crunch, and lead for a given tone) would work nicely. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the suggestions. My big pack is already meant to be like that, a big collection of tweakable tones in many genres. The issue I'm having with the Variax, and it's why I posted the video above and wanted some feedback, is that I like it for clean sounds, but not as much for high gain. Each time I make a crunching tone I want to use the magnetic pickups, not the models :) So it's hard to make presets. But on the video I also used some altered tuning, that made things worse... I'll keep on tweaking !

Fremen, I was looking at your Variax patches in Workbench HD the other day and had a couple of questions. I see that in your Strat patch overlays the middle pickup on the neck and bridge pickup. That's a common technique for changing the pickup voicing and fattening the tone. But the overplayed pickups are turned off in the patch. Wondered why you did that.

Thanks for the suggestions. My big pack is already meant to be like that, a big collection of tweakable tones in many genres. The issue I'm having with the Variax, and it's why I posted the video above and wanted some feedback, is that I like it for clean sounds, but not as much for high gain. Each time I make a crunching tone I want to use the magnetic pickups, not the models :) So it's hard to make presets. But on the video I also used some altered tuning, that made things worse... I'll keep on tweaking !

I'm OK if Vax magnetics are used on some hi-gain presets. After all, if the models can't compete with the magnetics on some tones, why argue? Best available from a given Vax/Helix/IR combo should be the goal, right? Also, perhaps some magnetic and model blends might work. Keep tweaking — we know you'll nail it.

Also, I have a Standard, and am wondering if using magnetics will result in a diff between JTV89 and Standard tonality.

I'm OK if Vax magnetics are used on some hi-gain presets. After all, if the models can't compete with the magnetics on some tones, why argue? Best available from a given Vax/Helix/IR combo should be the goal, right? Also, perhaps some magnetic and model blends might work. Keep tweaking — we know you'll nail it.

Also, I have a Standard, and am wondering if using magnetics will result in a diff between JTV89 and Standard tonality.

One of my models is in fact my bridge magnetic pickup. However, it's a humbucker, a Dimarzio Norton, on a JTV 89

Fremen, I was looking at your Variax patches in Workbench HD the other day and had a couple of questions. I see that in your Strat patch overlays the middle pickup on the neck and bridge pickup. That's a common technique for changing the pickup voicing and fattening the tone. But the overplayed pickups are turned off in the patch. Wondered why you did that.

Yes, I tried to use dual pickups on those models, but decided to not do it afterwards

...which has me wondering. If you are connected to the Helix via a VDI cable, the Helix receives a digital signal even if you are using the magnetics. Or, you can connect like a normal guitar: analog output via 1/4" cable to Helix. So where is the A-to-D done in each case? I am assuming:

magnetics via Variax cable: Variax A/D --> Helix processing --> Helix D/A --> out

magnetics via 1/4": Helix A/D --> Helix processing --> Helix D/A --> out

Will one get a different sound with the magnetics using the VDI cable vs using 1/4". If you assume the A/D circuitry in the Helix is better than that in the Variax, using 1/4" would be best (although more prone to noise).

Is this a fair assumption?

...which has me wondering. If you are connected to the Helix via a VDI cable, the Helix receives a digital signal even if you are using the magnetics. Or, you can connect like a normal guitar: analog output via 1/4" cable to Helix. So where is the A-to-D done in each case? I am assuming:

magnetics via Variax cable: Variax A/D --> Helix processing --> Helix D/A --> out

magnetics via 1/4": Helix A/D --> Helix processing --> Helix D/A --> out

Will one get a different sound with the magnetics using the VDI cable vs using 1/4". If you assume the A/D circuitry in the Helix is better than that in the Variax, using 1/4" would be best (although more prone to noise).

Is this a fair assumption?

ive got a variax standard plugged in through vdi, and an ibanez shred machine into the guitar input. i only use these 2 guitars so its great i can just pickup whatever guitar i want, and the patches stay the same , but u can tell when im not using the ibanez. because it doesnt sound like an ibanez. plus the hot single coils on the variax makes the level more even as well.

sorry for ramblng and im not even sure i answered you lol

Just been playing with the snapshot presets.  Cleans are great (  i'm primarily a clean dude )

But is there any chance Thiboult - that in the future you can add more snapshots to the collection ?

for the Mesa IV , DivBy13 ,  Fenders, and Dr Z ? 

Yes

Free update for owners of the big pack : 20 presets (some updated, some new), two new IRs, and my Variax bundle

Sorry for asking but is the Pink Floyd presets that is in the update the same as before but with added snapshots?

Do i really need this update if i dont have a Variax guitar?

Well the snapshot feature would be great of course i havent added snapshots to your artist presets yet.

Just bought these and most of them are good. The cleans are a little to compress out for my taste but are def a great starting point. Has anyone taken any of these presets to a FOH situation?? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks for the great work Fremen! You def have a great ear. I used some of your Axe FX 2 presets for FOH application when I had one.

This is something to bear in mind  and i've reported it to Line6 as a bug/problem 

I've been enjoying working thru the presets and came to Pull Me Under.

i've been using the HELIX Mac 1.0 USB driver for a while now with no problems.  I was playing backing tracks via iTunes from my 2011 iMac ( El Capitan latest ) into the HELIX via USB.  

All was fine until I selected the preset  Pull Me Under - which must be using a lot of DSP power. 

When using the preset by itself - no issues. but as soon as i tried playing a track o iTunes along with it - got lots of noise and crackles. 

Switching to a different patch ( a Fremen one ) made all the crackles go away.  

This is something to bear in mind  and i've reported it to Line6 as a bug/problem 

I've been enjoying working thru the presets and came to Pull Me Under.

i've been using the HELIX Mac 1.0 USB driver for a while now with no problems.  I was playing backing tracks via iTunes from my 2011 iMac ( El Capitan latest ) into the HELIX via USB.  

All was fine until I selected the preset  Pull Me Under - which must be using a lot of DSP power. 

When using the preset by itself - no issues. but as soon as i tried playing a track o iTunes along with it - got lots of noise and crackles. 

Switching to a different patch ( a Fremen one ) made all the crackles go away.  

same here. that's the one preset of fremens i hate because i cant use it because of what u said above. it craps a bigone each time i try and use it. and what sux is ive heard him ue it and its sounds so good! cant complain though 174 of them work brilliantly.

Just bought these and most of them are good. The cleans are a little to compress out for my taste but are def a great starting point. Has anyone taken any of these presets to a FOH situation?? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks for the great work Fremen! You def have a great ear. I used some of your Axe FX 2 presets for FOH application when I had one.

satch,

They are great for a starting point, he even states that! I have been using them as templates.

I have 8 different amps so far using his patches, and have just added Distortion/OD's and effects to my liking.

I find some I may need to cut some lower ends or some high end or both, but very little, I 1st started cutting using EQ's , and now I'm finding just a little cuts on the amp is actually better. Just like you would using a real amp.. 

Especially when turning up to 95 -110db. Which if playing live, so important to play that loud during practice and when setting up, before you go live!!!

At low volume or in my head phones (AKG 240, bass heavy) they sound great stock...

I'm now using the Line 6 L2t, if your use something different, you may find it different.

Yes, for some of the cleans, I have turned off the comp, or used it. Comp is a always personal preference!

What I loved from the start, they are so close to what I prefer as far as how I would setup/eq my amp, and even better on some amps. But so easy to fine tune to your desire!

Again thank you freeman! You cut so much of my time setting up all those amp patches! the $ was so worth it for me!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVJ_xKJG_28

Free update for owners of the big pack : 20 presets (some updated, some new), two new IRs, and my Variax bundle

Fremen. In your updated big pack have you modified the settings for any of the the original patches in the pack? In other words since I already purchased the original big pack can I just download the free update?

Thanks.