Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fremen's Helix presets

fremen

Happy holidays to everyone.

If anyone out there is thinking about buying this pack here is my initial thoughts.

I had been thinking of taking the plunge on purchasing some presets for a while and these were top of my list. With the special offer on until today I finally decided to treat myself for Xmas and purchased them yesterday. I had a full setlist prepared on the Helix that I had made up myself and was happy with it. It was better sounds than I have ever had and I had received nothing but complimentary comments. But I also knew that my patches tended to be basic and there was some extra polish that could be applied. For me, and all this is of course subjective, this pack of presets does exactly that. I have only had a few hours with it so far but I know that I am going to completely recreate my setlist using these patches as the basis of all my patches. Apart from the learning about programming the Helix that is possible from these patches the main thing is the quality and professionalisn that is inherent in the sounds themselves.

I am VERY happy with them. They will be the backbone of a completely new setlist of patches (after I've finished just enjoying playing for many hours, I'm currently on the Heavy 5150 1 patch and loving it).

If you are thinking about getting them I don't think you will regret it. I certainly haven't :)

Can't wait!
I'm a big fan, will keep an eye on your releases, I love your work... I could never get close to your programming and tone design skills / techniques but you sharing the huge talent keeps me on playing the strings and not wondering in the dark between menus, settings and math :D

I could make a few but I really want to make a new pack that will include not only this but all the other stuff and tricks I discovered since I released the first one

if u were to replace the litigator amp with an amp in one of the bigpack patches, which patch would u do it on. and how would you set the amp. what settings for the litagator.

Really liking the 175 pack, always good to compare what other ears hear.

Especially love the tones on the "Rock" amps!! Moving all of those to my personal setlist. I am going to have to tweek around with the "Clean" amps, they're too squashed for me. I'm just getting started and still working through them all trying to spend more time on each one.

Question for Fremen: on the presets using snapshots, why did you drop out the volume pedal on snapshots 2,3,4? I haven't tested all of them, but the ones I have only snapshot 1 allows volume control via the expression pedal. Easily fixed but is this by design? A Variax thing?

Edit: For example, '4sn AC15' (excellent tone), snapshot 1 uses EXP1 and the volume pedal is turned on, but snapshots 2-4 all switch over to EXP2 and the volume pedal turns off.

I bought this pack. They're outstanding for using as a base to build tones from and learn how to set up some of the amps.

This and a Glen pack have probably convinced me to keep the Helix and sell the Axe-FX II XL+.

Getting great usable tones is simply easier and less neurosis-inducing on the Helix.

I bought this pack. They're outstanding for using as a base to build tones from and learn how to set up some of the amps.

This and a Glen pack have probably convinced me to keep the Helix and sell the Axe-FX II XL+.

Getting great usable tones is simply easier and less neurosis-inducing on the Helix.

You're welcome.( I'm the guy who  first pointed you to Fremen's stuff to compare Helix with AXFX with, over at the Fractal Forum.  ) I own and use both, but I was using Helix mostly as a router/controller/stompox  until recently, when latest FW put Helix in serious sonic parity with Fractal;  the integration of the two is now  truly astonishing .the superior depth of the number of FAS amp models, editor and FX and the far superior routing and UI  , and now comparible tones of Helix make either a win, and the combination may make it worth it for you to go into temporary debt...........

Would appreciate some verification from anyone using Fremen's snapshot patches without a Variax. I am trying to determine if my Helix (ver 2.11) is/is not behaving with his snapshot presets. 

EX: In his Floyd patch set, please try MoneyRTM+LD 3S

1. When first loaded, Snapshot 1 the volume pedal works as normal (EXP1 scribble lights up)

2. Switch to any other Snapshot and volume pedal no longer functions (EXP2 scribble lights up)

3. Switch back to Snapshot 1, volume pedal no longer works (scribble stays at EXP2)

Feedback would be much appreciated, thx!

Would appreciate some verification from anyone using Fremen's snapshot patches without a Variax. I am trying to determine if my Helix (ver 2.11) is/is not behaving with his snapshot presets. 

EX: In his Floyd patch set, please try MoneyRTM+LD 3S

1. When first loaded, Snapshot 1 the volume pedal works as normal (EXP1 scribble lights up)

2. Switch to any other Snapshot and volume pedal no longer functions (EXP2 scribble lights up)

3. Switch back to Snapshot 1, volume pedal no longer works (scribble stays at EXP2)

Feedback would be much appreciated, thx!

Snapshot 1: Pedal works

Snapshot 2: Pedal doesn't work

Switch back to Snapshop 1: Pedal works

Snapshot 1: Pedal works

Snapshot 2: Pedal doesn't work

Switch back to Snapshop 1: Pedal works

Thank you sir! All of the snapshot patches from Fremen are acting similarly on my rig... hmmm? I've loaded them as setlists and individually just to see if the setlists were corrupt. No diff. I have no issues with any snapshot presets from any other source including my own.

I'll try to email Fremen to discuss.

Again, thanks. 

So I did the 2.12 upgrade and now all of the Snapshots that switched to different Variax models all come up [Don't Force]. This is a known issue with this upgrade. So Freman is there anyway you can make a list of what Variax models go with what snapshots?

So I did the 2.12 upgrade and now all of the Snapshots that switched to different Variax models all come up [Don't Force]. This is a known issue with this upgrade. So Freman is there anyway you can make a list of what Variax models go with what snapshots?

Line 6 has stated that this bug will be fixed in the next firmware release which was announced at NAMM and should be here in February. Meantime, don't discard those v2.12 presets. I think they still carry the Variax model information in the snapshots - it just isn't being properly recognized. Even better, keep the 2.11 presets which definitely have the information.

Line 6 has stated that this bug will be fixed in the next firmware release which was announced at NAMM and should be here in February. Meantime, don't discard those v2.12 presets. I think they still carry the Variax model information in the snapshots - it just isn't being properly recognized. Even better, keep the 2.11 presets which definitely have the information.

ok. I still have the originals as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for the next firmware to fix this too, and to release new things !

Fremen -- just purchased the 175-pack and it is as advertised.  Just terrific tones -- ready for use.  Can't wait for your next release.  Would love to see even more snapshot-enabled presets for us live players.  With a few mild tweaks, your 4-snapshot JCM-800 preset is the patch I live on for 75% of my gigs.  And your U2 and Floyd patches are the best I've ever heard.

• Upvote 1

I know I missed something somewhere ... so a few questions if I may .

1) where , how do I purchase the latest complete Fremen Big Pack ? 

could someone please supply a current active purchasing link ... 

The blog link i went to from the original post in this thread seems very outdated ...

only offering 2.01 stuff ... which seems  downloadable without buying anything .

2) I am confused as to whether or not this pack includes some Variax presets.

thanks  in advance to Freman ... or anyone else who might be able to answer these questions .

I know I missed something somewhere ... so a few questions if I may .

1) where , how do I purchase the latest complete Fremen Big Pack ?

could someone please supply a current active purchasing link ...

The blog link i went to from the original post in this thread seems very outdated ...

only offering 2.01 stuff ... which seems downloadable without buying anything .

2) I am confused as to whether or not this pack includes some Variax presets.

thanks in advance to Freman ... or anyone else who might be able to answer these questions .

http://axefremen.blogspot.com/2016/08/fremen-helix-big-pack-175-presets.html

No Variax-specific, afaik

Well worth it both for helix and fractal users (guess he does Amplifire as well, but I've no experience with them)

http://axefremen.blogspot.com/2016/08/fremen-helix-big-pack-175-presets.html

No Variax-specific, afaik

Well worth it both for helix and fractal users (guess he does Amplifire as well, but I've no experience with them)

If you feel you are not getting all the current presets, Thibault is easily accessible by email (check his blog)
  • Upvote 1

If you feel you are not getting all the current presets, Thibault is easily accessible by email (check his blog)

I just bought them a couple of days ago.  Everything was included in the download, even the extra Floyd patches and IRs he made a couple of months after his initial release.  He is also super responsive, as noted by bradlake.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...