Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fremen's Helix presets

fremen

Picked up the pack with the synth pads, mainly to help wrap my head around blending oscillator frequencies.  It opened up a few doors to me that I was unaware of.  Well worth the price of admission.

I purchased the "big pack" a couple weeks ago and am enjoying the tones a lot, but had a question about the 4 snapshot presets and how the volume pedal is assigned.  I saw a previous post about this, but didn't see an answer. 

All 4 snapshots have the volume pedal assigned to "Exp 1".  When on snapshot 1 the expression pedal itself is on "Exp1".  But when changing to Snapshots 2-4 the expression pedal changes to "Exp 2".  So when changing to snapshots 2-4 the volume pedal no longer works. Hitting the expression pedal toe switch changes it back to "Exp 1" but also bypasses the volume block. 

This is fixable by changing snapshots 2-4 to Exp 1 and turning the volume block back on, but I'm not sure why it was setup like this, and if changing it would affect anything else.  Or.......if I have something set up in my global setting that is causing this.....

Hello, did you experience this before updating to 2.20/2.21 ? There was a bug regarding using the volume pedal with EXP 1 instead of EXP 2, which I do, and it was fixed, maybe it changed the presets behavior. If that's the case, I'll fix this for 2.21, only a few presets are concerned

Hello, did you experience this before updating to 2.20/2.21 ? There was a bug regarding using the volume pedal with EXP 1 instead of EXP 2, which I do, and it was fixed, maybe it changed the presets behavior. If that's the case, I'll fix this for 2.21, only a few presets are concerned

Which makes me think: does the recent firmware version have a bad influence on the quality of the sound and behaviour of older presets in the Megapack (who were developed with older firmware)? I am considering buying the Megapack.

To put it differently: older presets were made/developed with older firmware, now if I use older presets with new firmware will they sound (and behave) better/worse/the same/different (then intended) ? What is the effect of the new firmware on older presets? Perhaps this is easier to ask then to answer. :)

I updated to 2.20/2.21 before purchasing the "big pack", so I don't have experience with previous firmwares.  All the tones are great and am enjoying playing with them, just wasn't sure what was going on with the volume pedal.....

Fremen , you make some great presets however I wanted to compliment your synth drone work as well.

I have been using those patches as a fantastic practice tool for running my scale and arpeggio ideas over static chord types. Tons of fun for keeping my ear and brain in tune with the sound and emotion each idea creates. Grab my morning breakfast beverage, fire up the Helix, put on my headphones, pick a chord type, glance at my cheat sheet of ideas, and I'm off.

I've only had them a week, about 30 minutes each morning of practice time, and my playing/incorporation of different tones/ideas has shown a noticeable improvement.

When musicians you play with regularly start commenting on and complimenting your playing after shows it's a good if not rare event.

I'm very glad I made the investment in your work.

Thanks so much for making it available!

• 2 weeks later...

Took these for a ride at a gig.  Really, really detailed through two Alto TX10's!  Compliments abound from band, fans and no complaint form the sound man.  Only thing sound man wanted was a bit of a bump on solos, told him to anticipate, they didn't need and bumping.  Fresh out of sound school-certified sound engineer kid!  He did a great job though.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, important announcement : the Big Pack has been updated (both through the e-junkie service and in my website) with around 18 presets that I customized for the rhythm guitar player of my Tribute to Pink Floyd band. Each of this preset is for a specific song. As the rhythm guitar player also sings, in each preset, left channel is for guitar, right channel for voice (specific delay settings which he can trigger when needed). The presets also uses Variax models (but a regular guitar will work), and I included my Variax bundle too.

Here's a few videos from that gig. I use a Axe-Fx, and as stated, the rhythm guitar player uses a Variax + Helix

• Upvote 2

I would like to know if the IR's are already included in the presets , or do I have to add them into the helix IR banks before they work.

also I bought the Megapack but I don't see any Variax specific patches .

You do need to have the IR's in the IR bank and in specific slots. The IR's are numbered to coincide with what slot they are to go in to match the patch. Can't speak to the Variax patches as far as where they are. I'm not at home. They are there but, as I recall, not obvious.

You do need to have the IR's in the IR bank and in specific slots. The IR's are numbered to coincide with what slot they are to go in to match the patch. Can't speak to the Variax patches as far as where they are. I'm not at home. They are there but, as I recall, not obvious.

thanks for the help ... much appreciated .

shoot me a line if you run the across the location  of the Variax patches .

thanks for the help ... much appreciated .

shoot me a line if you run the across the location  of the Variax patches .

Here's a post describing where they are. By the way, some of the Variax models themselves were changed so it you load this into your Variax it will overwrite some factory presets.

Hi slicbald,

First up hook up your Variax to Workbench as usual - if you have any custom Variax settings of your own in your guitar - make a backup copy, just to be safe!

Now load the "TDR 28.09.2016.bun" into Workbench and then click on the "Upload All" button to overwrite the models that are already installed.

Now when using The Pink Floyd preset patches in Helix, your Helix will automatically detect and reconfigure you Variax with Fremen's custom Variax programmes.

Hope this makes sense. You can always revert to your custom or factory presets for Variax whenever you wish - just reload those instead.

Enjoy!

This is in this thread somewhere if you want to see the original.

Here's a post describing where they are. By the way, some of the Variax models themselves were changed so it you load this into your Variax it will overwrite some factory presets.

Hi slicbald,

First up hook up your Variax to Workbench as usual - if you have any custom Variax settings of your own in your guitar - make a backup copy, just to be safe!

Now load the "TDR 28.09.2016.bun" into Workbench and then click on the "Upload All" button to overwrite the models that are already installed.

Now when using The Pink Floyd preset patches in Helix, your Helix will automatically detect and reconfigure you Variax with Fremen's custom Variax programmes.

Hope this makes sense. You can always revert to your custom or factory presets for Variax whenever you wish - just reload those instead.

Enjoy!

This is in this thread somewhere if you want to see the original.

good deal , hopefully this weekend I'll get a  around to it ...

i've never messed around with workbench. , so I should have a fun play day.

• 3 months later...

1 : no, because I only use my IRs, which I custom made, I don't like to work someone else's idea of what a cab should sound like/be miked etc. Of course I can get good sounds with the stock cabs but I don't like them as much as real IRs

2 : I probably will have Black Friday and Christmas sales, yes

I forgot to share my latest Helix video here :

Just purchased this morning, the Big Pack and the Big Pack Add On.....can't wait to redo all my presets and just tweak for my performance needs and not worry about tone. 

I downloaded the Hot Plexi and Alter Bridge free presets to check them out as a test run and liked what I heard. 

Thanks for your work!  I'm sure I'll have questions on how to adapt them to my needs. 

On a quick note, to speed up time later, do I have to import the files one by one, or can I do a bulk load and they will load correctly?

• 1 month later...

Hello, yes it's true, I've been sick (nervous breakdown), but I'm starting to recover. In still don't play guitar everyday because the antidepressants makes me weak. But as soon as I can stop them, I'll resume work on my presets. I don't think it will be for this year though, January is more likely.

Btw I have Black Friday sales right now, until the end of the month !

Bipolar here, bro... Feel your pain.  Ever since 2007, I've gotten much better each year!  All I take is a little lithium now!

I wish all the amp/cabinet simulation madness come to an end. I am eagerly waiting for the effect processors that aim to create unique, musical, dreamy sounds that fit the space age, but not the nonsense technological noises.

I wonder if it is a bit possible with helix. I would love such presets.

By the way I am waiting for a Christmas sale, if it ever happens :)