Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fremen's Helix presets

fremen

Thanks guys ! Now I'm going to revisit some of my previous pack to enhance some presets in the same way...

here's how to use the "Boulevard" preset :

The Helix has 4 effects loops, and I wanted to use them all to compare Friedman BE models sounds from various processors : Fractal Audio AX8, Kemper, Atomic Amplifire...and a real amp, the Friedman Runt (*), which is not a BE but is based on it. So here as you can see the first in action is the Helix ; can you guess the others ?

I'm using a looper here so all the processors are treating the same signal. All are also using the Helix reverb. Apologies for the stupid riff, it's completely improvised, I wanted to have both rhythm and leads

For the Friedman Runt I used a Torpedo Captor and a speaker simulation from the Axe-Fx II

• Thanks 1

On 2018-05-07 at 10:14 AM, fremen said:

The Helix has 4 effects loops, and I wanted to use them all to compare Friedman BE models sounds from various processors : Fractal Audio AX8, Kemper, Atomic Amplifire...and a real amp, the Friedman Runt (*), which is not a BE but is based on it. So here as you can see the first in action is the Helix ; can you guess the others ?

I'm using a looper here so all the processors are treating the same signal. All are also using the Helix reverb. Apologies for the stupid riff, it's completely improvised, I wanted to have both rhythm and leads

For the Friedman Runt I used a Torpedo Captor and a speaker simulation from the Axe-Fx II

Hmm hard i guess Axe - Kemper - Real amp as it sounded soo different much brighter - Amplifier

I am probably totally wrong..

Here's how good this new Helix 2.30-2.50 pack is: my IR slots were nearly filled up and I was going to have to put the pack's IRs in different slots than they were numbered for, and then reassign them in the presets. But instead, I decided to give Fremen's IRs priority, and reshuffled all the rest of my IRs around them. That's a pain in the arse because Line 6 locks preset IRs to a numbered slot instead of specific IRs (wtf!!), but last night I did it, and I'm glad I did. So there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soundog said:

Here's how good this new Helix 2.30-2.50 pack is: my IR slots were nearly filled up and I was going to have to put the pack's IRs in different slots than they were numbered for, and then reassign them in the presets. But instead, I decided to give Fremen's IRs priority, and reshuffled all the rest of my IRs around them. That's a pain in the arse because Line 6 locks preset IRs to a numbered slot instead of specific IRs (wtf!!), but last night I did it, and I'm glad I did. So there.

lol great post  :)

Just wondering Thiboult -  have yo considered doing a preset collection for HELIX + POWERCAB  owners ? 

Ie no IRs  just patches that use one of the POWERCAB models or built in IRs - and set up for AMP-IN-ROOM  vibes  ? 

50 minutes ago, d0stenning said:

Just wondering Thiboult -  have yo considered doing a preset collection for HELIX + POWERCAB  owners ? 

Ie no IRs  just patches that use one of the POWERCAB models or built in IRs - and set up for AMP-IN-ROOM  vibes  ? 

I'm definitively going to order a Powercab, however it won't be the one which can load user IRs. So if I did that, the presets won't use my own IRs, which are a key element to my sounds...

While we're asking ... at one time you mentioned putting out a Variax pack of Variax tones and presets. Any chance that might happen one day? Smaller market, perhaps, but it sure would be useful to us Variax owners.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:15 AM, fremen said:

I'm definitively going to order a Powercab, however it won't be the one which can load user IRs. So if I did that, the presets won't use my own IRs, which are a key element to my sounds...

[EDIT]  would be interesting to see what you come up with preset-wise when you get one. 

Or if it works out for you, make a set for the built-in "cabs", the non-IR speaker models. Everybody with either model PC could use them, with (I think) zero setup. It'd be great to see what you came up with in that environment.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:15 AM, fremen said:

Any reason why you're not going for the PowerCab 112 Plus ? 

Is it because you primarily use Fractal in live gigs so wouldn't benefit from things like L6 Link ? 

Regarding the Variax : I started doing presets for it, but I'm not a fan of the models for high gain, and I swapped the pickups with DiMarzio on mine, so even using the magnetics won't work... So I had to abandon the idea of a special pack. I use mine only for some open tuning ; even for the acoustic I prefer my acoustic simulations. I liked the older acoustic model much more, and the Strat too, which was properly quacking

Regarding the powercab : I use my own IRs, they're an important part of my presets, so the regular model is sufficient for me. But I may change my mind when I order one !
I'm definitively going to try to make presets with the stock cabs. I'll also try to come with some stock cabs presets with the Helix too :)

Ah .... good to know about Variax. I was hoping a future preset pack would somehow save mine! I find myself using it mainly for tunings/slide or rhythm on some models. Not using it as much these days. Curious, though .... what  pickups did you use?

DiMarzio Norton in bridge, Liquifire in neck... It's a pity that the wiring with the 5 positions selector doesn't work like on an Ibanez RG ; positions 2 and 4 are just splits of neck and bridge. I would love combinations of both but it's very risky to solder the pickups that way

I have the big pack - do I keep that loaded and just addon this new update pack - not sure what the difference is - basically these are all new tones that will compliment the big pack ? or these updates to some of those older tones ? thank you much

IR'S numbering they different from big pack or do we have to play with them a bit ?

On 13.5.2018 at 6:06 PM, fremen said:
New preset ! watch the till the end for some "sequenced" synth rhythm

A free addon after purchase? Great, thank you!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @fremen ,

I bought the Mega Pack in 2017. If I download the Starters Pack again via Purchase History, will it be the 2.50 updated version? Hope so, think it is fair.

By the way, I also bought your 2.30/2.50 update pack recently, great tones in there!

Greetings, Marcel

3 hours ago, LutherDeLorme said:

Hi @fremen ,

I bought the Mega Pack in 2017. If I download the Starters Pack again via Purchase History, will it be the 2.50 updated version? Hope so, think it is fair.

By the way, I also bought your 2.30/2.50 update pack recently, great tones in there!

Greetings, Marcel

Nope anything before now is staying the the way it was I think - you can tell by his latest videos, see nothing that looks like its been updated - just moving forward - could be wrong but doubt it 

17 hours ago, rsvette12 said:

I have the big pack - do I keep that loaded and just addon this new update pack - not sure what the difference is - basically these are all new tones that will compliment the big pack ? or these updates to some of those older tones ? thank you much

IR'S numbering they different from big pack or do we have to play with them a bit ?

The 2.30/2.50 complements the big pack ; it's focusing on new amp models. IRs numbers are coherent through all mypacks

10 hours ago, LutherDeLorme said:

Hi @fremen ,

Greetings, Marcel

Hi Marcel, yes exactly, you will have the old versions AND the new versions in the bonus folder

8 hours ago, rsvette12 said:

Nope anything before now is staying the the way it was I think - you can tell by his latest videos, see nothing that looks like its been updated - just moving forward - could be wrong but doubt it 

I updated all the presets, small but significant tweaks (like naming snapshots, adding gain control through snaphots etc.) - and for the British LD I now use the Placater Dirty

• Like 1

The "Synthpad and Tonematches" pack has now been updated. Mostly, I added snapshots to "Tonematches" presets that didn't have any. And now, the chords play immediately when you select a "Synthpad" preset - this was the case originally but the synth block was "bypassed" by another firmware (2.30 I think), before that bug was corrected.

I also recorded "Epilogue for Lisa", a Shawn Lane song, with the relevant preset. Playing and changing the chords (via snapshots) at the same time can be tricky !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So....  2.60  out...

You can guess what i'm going to ask  Thiboult ............

........ Any chance or plans to update your 2.50 pack with new presets for the new CLEAN models in 2.60 ?

Would be a nice rounding off of that package ( which I own & is superb ) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, d0stenning said:

So....  2.60  out...

You can guess what i'm going to ask  Thiboult ............

........ Any chance or plans to update your 2.50 pack with new presets for the new CLEAN models in 2.60 ?

Would be a nice rounding off of that package ( which I own & is superb ) 

The first thing I thought when I saw the details of 2.6 - is he going to add Clean snapshots to the 2.5 pack?  I've been absolutely loving the Play on This patch. 

Liking the Friedman patches, but miss having a Clean snapshot, so I guess I know what I'll be doing this afternoon when I get things updated.

It makes sense that @fremen can't go back and update everything when Line 6 makes minor updates. But in this case, I use LoneStar all the time in recordings now, but miss having a clean Snapshot, so really do wish he would add a preset for the clean channel. Or maybe even a quick note on method to copy his CH2 preset, switch CH2 and CH1 amps, use the same IR, and adjust parameters.

21 hours ago, fremen said:

I'm planning another smaller pack, for metal, but will include the two new amps with it

thats great - but i don't "do" metal - so could we have another option - a pack just with the clean amp patches ? 

Most of the Friedman patches in my last pack already have snapshots with a clean amp ; but I can update a couple with the proper clean model, no problem ! But I'll give priority to my new pack. As from now, I'll probably mostly do small packs - including one for clean amps + special effects. When I'm in programming mode I'm a workaholic and most of a time I just work too much, I need to take care of my health too ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/5/2018 at 11:59 AM, rsvette12 said:

Sounds good guys but being huge Gilmour fan was hoping for something updated in Gilmour camp this time around

I don't know if you've done this yet but...Grab yer Strat. Call up the Hiwatt. Put in a univibe and a transistor tape echo, maybe throw some reverb in. Now you will need to do some tweaking but it will get you the rhythm guitar for the song Breathe. I did a quick search on the internet and got this.

Uni-Vibe

– volume 100%, intesity 100%, rate 40-50% (chorus mode)

Binson echo
– 310ms (“repeat” mode) with variable feedback and volume.

I have not personally tried those settings and I'm not at home to give you mine but IMHO this sound pretty spot on.