Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

some questions about the pro hd x

mictian

I've been a pod xt live user for more then 10 years now and am currently looking into upgrading my rig.

I've been comparing the PRO HD X with some other multieffects pedals / racks and I think this is the best value for money (altough i'm quite biased because i've used line 6 gear that long)

But being a purchase of about € 950 (rack + footcontroller) i have a few questions.

I know the hd pro is practicly a hd500x but in rack form and with a lot more routing options. So I was wondering if it is possible to

send a preset WITH cabinet simulation to the XLR output and simulatniously send the same preset WITHOUT cabinet simulation to the 1/4 jack outputs.

(this is so i can send the simulated preset to front of house , but still have a good tube amp with me on stage)

I'm currenly also looking into the Digitech GSP 1101 (which i know can do that sort of routing) but am afraid of the preamp qualitys (i do not want to spend money to sound worse than my XT Pro Live now)

Next question :
if i compare price with the hd500x (being +- € 450) and the hd pro x + footcontroller (being +- 950), its a pretty huge price diffrence (at least in my opinion) does this mean that the hd pro x contains all amp model packs aswell (or do you still neet to buy the model packs to ?) , because if i where to buy all the model packs to , total price would be above € 1000 and thath i could very wel just find a good use axe fx ultra. Which i'm guessing (i've never heard one) has a far superior tone.

If anyone would give me tips, pointer of some information regard text above,

I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

"...send a preset WITH cabinet simulation to the XLR output and simulatniously send the same preset WITHOUT cabinet simulation to the 1/4 jack outputs."

No. I've never tried this, but seems like if you can set up a dual amp rig and keep the signal paths separate, you might be able to send WITH CAB > Left and WITHOUT CAB > Right. Non stereo, DSP allowing. This is the kind of need that sells HELIX.

"...does this mean that the hd pro x contains all amp model packs aswell ?"

No

If you're even considering spending € 1000 (what is that, about 1100 USD?), you might want to also consider spending a couple hundred more on Helix. You could probably find one for two or three hundred less than the 1500 USD (the rack version with controller is around 1800 USD) they sell for new without even looking too hard. Helix would easily do everything you list above, way more in fact, and no need to worry about amp packs.

I can't comment on HD modeling over the XT Live as I've never had the XT Live. Helix modeling over HD modeling, however: Helix is in a league all its own. That doesn't necessarily make HD modeling bad though. There's plenty of good sounds in the HD, but they can be difficult to find and dial in. If you really care about the tone for your guitar, and don't mind forking over a little more money, Helix does not disappoint in the least. It's also likely something that will last you for a very long time, considering the XT Live lasted you more than a decade.

I have been using an HD and an XTL and the HD is better. With the metal pack I regained (pun intended -ooh) some of the XTL amps I like but can use them with the HD. This gives me a flexible signal chain, dual amps and to my ears better FX. While yes the HD has some drawbacks (EQ in %, learning curve for ex.) they are small hurdles in the overall picture.

Duncann does make a really good point though.. for a few more $$ the next level is within your grasp. But budgets are budgets.

OR

For $200, you buy yourself a used HD500X --- which is the floor version of the rack but doesn't require a separate floor unit because it is the floor unit

Seems to make more sense than spending $1000 a new one or $2000 for the newest one.