Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I get this foam or sponge?

thank you! I read some thread that helps reducing buzz or warble? for variax

You realize fret buzz is a guitar setup problem right? Either your action needs to be set up or your neck relief is messed up.

It could only reduce warble if sympathetic string noise is noisy to the point that it bleeds into the signal and confuses the pitch shifter.

Again, if you have fret buzz, get your guitar set up. No evasive action is going to fix your fret buzz. You can't amputate someone's arm and wonder why the foot still has gangrene.

Guys, be nice. :lol:

To "leemh", you can find the details here.

As mentioned above, you can use a sponge or velcro.

haha thank you man. I think my low level english fluency bothered people.

I got my guitar to some repair shop to fix buzz and whole set up. But all of them denied because they dont know variax and said nothing to fix(even still buzz happens).

So I am ordered some self fret leveling and dressing tools and waiting for them.

I got my guitar to some repair shop to fix buzz and whole set up. But all of them denied because they dont know variax and said nothing to fix(even still buzz happens).

Well that's ridiculous. It's still a guitar. The same things that cause fret buzz on every other guitar on earth, will cause it on a Variax...and the solution(s) are identical. I can understand them not wanting to mess around with the electronics if they're unfamiliar with them, but a set-up is a set-up.

And I'd be careful about leveling your own frets if you are not experienced at doing so...it's very easy to do irreparable damage to both the frets and the fingerboard itself, and you could easily wind up with far bigger problems than you'vw already got, like a $1K pile of firewood...

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding in what is happening. Based on what I have read the goal is to reduce any extraneous vibrations causing the piezos to give the warbles. Bridge springs would be the #1 thing I would look at, the foam at the nut idea doesn't look like it would be that effective. At least that is my take.

To mute strings, when pick sweep picking I used to use a thick "hair scrungie" round the neck in front of the nut not behind like the foam.

For actual fret buzz like Cruisin sez, is fixed like any other guitar but it depends on where on the neck the buzz is. Is the neck twisted? Does it need a new nut, neck shim, truss rod, bridge raised? fret files would be the last resort. It may be you have not had it set up for a gauge of strings you changed to.

Repair shops are a YMMV thing _ I appreciate a shop that admits they can't do the work prior to any butchery but that doesn't mean you cannot go find a better shop.

Is the neck twisted? Does it need a new nut, neck shim, truss rod, bridge raised? fret files would be the last resort.

Agreed...fret buzz can usually be cured by any or all of the above. Bringing out the files is only necessary in cases of poorly seated (usually high), or badly worn frets.

I'm comfortable doing just about anything to my guitars. I'll install pickups, adjust the truss rod, action, intonation...hell I've even done the old Dan Erlewine "bone dust and crazy glue" to fill/re-cut an old nut slot (as a temporary fix). But I don't touch the frets...don't have the tools, or the patience.

It's a set-up issue. Have a Line 6 authorized tech do this,

as they will have the service specs for doing guitar set-up

of our product , and can do a proper job of it.

Fret buzz :: either neck relief or action needs adjusting.

Warbling  :: after fret buzz is dealt with, the pick-up height between

string and pick-up pole piece needs to be checked.

Both fret buzz and warbling are a result of set-up.

@Leemh: what kind of (unwanted) noise would you say your guitar suffers from?

I see you are not native English speaking, so please look through the link I gave you and see if you are more confident in any of the different (warble, buzz, artifacts, clang, plink etc). I'm not native English myself either, so I know how difficult it can be on a forum :)

As all the other guys say, different issues requires different treatment. Though, it is most common a setup issue.

Or, even better would be a soundsample so we could hear it ourselves.

haha thank you man. I think my low level english fluency bothered people.

So I am ordered some self fret leveling and dressing tools and waiting for them.

Please don't do anything to your guitar that you might regret unless you absolutely know what you're doing.

I don't understand how they could deny a setup. It's all the same hardware to setup as any other guitar. They should of setup the truss rod neck relief, action and intonation, and it would fix the buzz on your guitar. You don't need to unscrew crap and mess with the electronics to do this.

Perhaps they're scared because it's a Variax, but come on, none of that is going to damage the electronics.

Honestly, filing frets is probably more dangerous to the Variax than a basic setup, because metal debris could go into the electronics cavity, though it's highly unlikely.

Again, don't do anything you're not sure of.

• Upvote 1

@Leemh: what kind of (unwanted) noise would you say your guitar suffers from?

I see you are not native English speaking, so please look through the link I gave you and see if you are more confident in any of the different (warble, buzz, artifacts, clang, plink etc). I'm not native English myself either, so I know how difficult it can be on a forum :)

As all the other guys say, different issues requires different treatment. Though, it is most common a setup issue.

Or, even better would be a soundsample so we could hear it ourselves.

quite long to say, but let me explain whole thing.

I have posted about my alt tune warbling sound. 

Original post: http://line6.com/support/topic/21214-alternate-tune-sounds-weird/?hl=weird

Many good people advised me to go Line6 service or go get ordinary set-up. (Sorry for annoying you people and staff)

1. First, there's no Line6 service center in my country. One official distributor exists, but they said 

they don't provide service for JTV, because they don't treat JTV currently. They just can order JTV parts and replace them. 

So, no way to get a test and diagnosis by authorized and experienced person. That's why I entirely rely on this forum.(So kind of you people, thank you)

2. Second, I have real buzz on my guitar. So I strongly believe it is the cause of alt-tune issue like forum's advice. 

I brought my guitar to best, most well-known, skillful and kind repair shops. 

I showed them alt tune sound and of course they don't know how to solve it!

-One of shops guessed it is mix of real frequency and alt frequency. So out of his ability.

-Another one said it is variax system issue so go line6. But he knew there's nowhere to get official service

I said forget about it just fix this buzz (asked normal set-up) 

They commonly diagnosed that

-nut is little low on low string (6th and 5th)

-frets are uneven

-buzz can occur with low action

I asked them please replace nut or leveling fret or make action higher or do whatever to fix buzz.

But they denied because nut is not too low and whole set-up is quite ok, so nothing won't change.

I don't still understand. They caught problems but said nothing will change? I was disappointed there and got home back.

Go back to my original question about alt tune warbling,

I think it was OK first time, but after I change my set-up, it started, I guess.

Not sure for that, but if it's true, set-up is THE solution.

And in my opinion, leveling fret is the most priority to fix buzz.

Let me bring my guitar to a new rising star of repair shops.

It is getting famous, so I hope it accepts set-up.

I won't touch my guitar until then. But what if it also denies? I have no idea.

Sorry for making you guys angry and annoyed.

Thank you always.