Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X Input Settings - Was that Old Issue Fixed?

bluebluetones

Hi everyone,

I'm sure a lot of us here recall the topic "What every HD500 User Needs to know..."  

Such was the mystery and confusion that was that whole topic that I decided the HD500 was too complicated.  Which setting was right?  Was I losing input gain or gaining it?  Argh.  So for now the HD400 has been my go-to.

Now I would like to explore the HD500X if simply for the additional amps that are available to purchase.  Am I going to encounter the same parameters as I did on the HD500?  If I select "Same" or "Variax" (or whatever it was) as the second input all my patches are going to act differently and no-one is able to tell which one is correct?

I just want to play and have fun - not too much comparison fiddling...

• Downvote 1

Yes, that issue is still with us. I use Guitar/Variax with my Gibson because 1) I don't use the Variax so it becomes a "not connected" input, 2) the noise (aka "hiss") level is minimized with this configuration, and 3) the Gibson output signal is hot enough that it NEEDS the 6dB input loss this configuration gives me. Otherwise I'd be clipping everything. It has worked very, very well for me.

Ugh... Yes I remember that topic. I have a pod hd500x. I use the 4CM and input "Same". In the mixer, I add +3db in each path.(I think I'm loosing gain/dB because of the fx-loop block)  For me everything sounds good. I place the fx Loop block right after the mixer. I tried the input 2) Variax, and if I am using a single amp chain, everything is cool...

Am I going to encounter the same parameters as I did on the HD500? If I select "Same" or "Variax" (or whatever it was) as the second input all my patches are going to act differently and no-one is able to tell which one is correct?

Well its not really a matter of the settings being "correct" or not...if you like the sound you get, and nothing is clipping, then it really doesn't matter whether input 2 is set to "same", or something else. Does it affect the input level and the tone...yes, to varying degrees depending on the amp model, the guitar you're using, etc, but I've never once asked myself, "Is this patch set up correctly?"...if I like the way it sounds, and it does what I need it to do, then it's "correct".

Thanks everyone,

I appreciate the tips - I may bite the bullet and try the 500X regardless, but I was hoping Line 6 had addressed the issue.

There's nothing to address, really. The fact that there are two inputs for signal processing is a fundamental design element and that won't be changed. The fact that you can use the same physical input for both processing inputs is also part of the design.

The only 'issue' is that the factory presets use Same as Input 2, and that this is also the default assignment when you create a new preset from scratch. Some people like this arrangement, others don't. It's not something that L6 is going to change. You can change it yourself in any preset.

• Upvote 1

Thanks - I do understand that there is nothing wrong with the HD500 or 500X...it is just my nature to explore all these parameters.

I was not sure if anyone had determined the "best" way to approach setting the HD500 up with a guitar.  If one setting was better than the other.  

Thank you cruisinon2 for your idea - indeed, if nothing is clipping then that is the best approach to use!

I use same, or both on guitar lately because I'm using two amps. A few months ago I was only using single amps, and therefore single paths, so input 2 was set to Variax.

That's MY "best" way to do it

I found this out too. For some patch setups, you have to have Input 2 set to same, and just deal with the gain.