Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Valve 1x12 or 2x12??? Can't decide....

Death_machine

After a couple of months of amp hunting and trying a few amps that I am not overly happy with, last week I was out of town and stopped at a cain music store and I saw a used Spider Valve 2x12. I wasn't gonna try it as I had the MKII head version about 4 years ago and though I liked it ok just didn't love it through my cabs. Anyway, I decided on a whim to try it out and next thing I know about an hour went by. I couldn't stop playing it. I really liked the cleans but was really impressed by the distortions. Out of all the different modeling amps I tried out so far this had the best distortion. It popped out to me and didn't sound sterile. I had tried out the 2x12's when new and liked them a lot but they were WAY over my budget. I didn't buy it because there was an issue with the presence knob and also I want the MKII version for more amp choices. Now I really wish I kept the head and got the matching cab.....

So anyhow, my "issue" is this.... After looking at various websites for a used Spider Valve I found a couple I am interested in. 1 is a 2x12 MKII and the other a 1x12 MKII. The total price difference is about $85. Is it worth the $85 for the extra speaker? I am mostly going to be doing home recording and playing with an occasional gig here and there and playing death/black metal. Will having the 1 speaker make it sound muddier? Also while on the subject, has anyone with one of these ever tried different speakers? Last thing.... Has anyone tried the head version on a DT50 cab? I have the chance to get one cheap enough that putting together a half stack will be just outside what I budgeted. 

Thanks for any info Dann

All I can say, as a regularly gigging SV Mkii 1x12 owner, is that I have never once seen any reason to wish for another speaker.

The 1x12 amp is SO LOUD that I've never had to turn the master volume past 5/10 (12 noon) EVER, even for the biggest venues (of course, at large shows, I mic the amp).  In my basement, 2/10 (8 pm ish) is too loud.  I think it sounds great - sharp and clear - but I've never owned a 2x12.

My vote is no, it's not worth any money for the extra speaker - just makes a heavier amp to have to carry around!

I have a SV212 MKII and I have to tell you it is $#@% heavy. I would concur with AquaRegia that you would probably be just fine with the 1x12.

You may find for a used amp you "might" need to change the tubes for best performance and of course tweek the bias if you do so.

I have since become a DT25 Head/Cab convert and the MKII is a backup amp but it still sounds killer. Great amps both.

Thanks for your input guys!! After taking some time and talking to a few other people I decided on a 2x12. Main reason is that I saw one come up while I was trying to decide that was only about $40 more than the 1x12 I was looking at and in better shape than the 2x12 I was originally looking at. Should hopefully get the amp Thursday :)

Just got it in yesterday. Thanks for the congrats and suggestions. Not sure about the castors as I may be sending this back but if I keep it I def will!!! Who ever owned this before switched the speakers out and put cheap crappy speakers in it and the music store I got it from online never mentioned it had the wrong speakers so I have a couple to try (Which I planned on anyways) and if it doesn't sound better then I will see about returning it or exchanging it. Cleans are great just distortions not so much.

The 212 is so heavy that eventually one of the screws that hold the handle in tore out from hauling it to gigs and practices. I suspect it rattled loose from the volume this beast puts out. However, I have rarely used it anymore since I went direct to PA or FRFR from Pod HD.

As with napynap I have not played through the SV212 for a long time but I would never sell it as it is truly a great amp for what is was designed to do and still lives as a backup. I always hire movers to take it places .... lol. It is a heavy beast. I use a DT25 Head/Cab for loud gigs and go through the PA (Line 6 LT3's) for softer gigs from a POD HD 500. I am very impressed with the DT25.

• Upvote 1