Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

BB King

electricfactory

B.B. used Fender Twin Reverb amps before the Lab 5.  On the Helix I use the "US Double Vib" amp+cab model, the "421 Dynamic" mic, and a touch of "63 Spring" reverb. 

Having a dual humbucker semi-hollow body guitar is essential.  My solid body guitars through the same patch don't sound anywhere close.

B.B. used Fender Twin Reverb amps before the Lab 5.  On the Helix I use the "US Double Vib" amp+cab model, the "421 Dynamic" mic, and a touch of "63 Spring" reverb. 

Having a dual humbucker semi-hollow body guitar is essential.  My solid body guitars through the same patch don't sound anywhere close.

Tweed based amps (as well as certain JM style and Dumble) tend to play better with humbuckers than Blackface amps. What's cool about Helix is that, for the most part, if you know what's going on in the real world of music production, you can emulate that with the Helix.

• 3 weeks later...

JMP45 called it - Early on BB used Fender combos, often a cranked twin.  I have read interviews that stated he was often told to "turn down" during recordings, but live he would open up the amp to get more power amp saturation.  Later BB switched to the Lab 5 amps (same amp as Ty Tabor in the early days of Kings X), which he often closed-mic'ed with a good ole SM-57.  Here is a template to help if needed: http://line6.com/data/6/0a0643891080a57b6450bd1eef/application/pdf

Funny, the video starts, and I'm looking at amps of both BB and Eric, and then about half way through to the end, all that mattered was listening to them jamming it was magic!!!!

Sry I'm no help, just a fan of them two!!!

But I love how this community works together trying to help each other find the tone! awesome!

Yup, the Twin seems to me the way to go too. Someone above mentioned humbuckers being essential to the recipe, I agree. And you know what's a pretty nice semi-hollow for the dough ? The ubiquitous Epiphone 335 DOT[ street price $300-$500], with very few upgrades [ if any] this guitar is a killer buy in the world of serviceable semi-hollow guitars. A good neck, nicely finished fretboard and frets, serviceable pickups and hardware, good looking finishing-  and all for $300 or so ??

JMP45 called it - Early on BB used Fender combos, often a cranked twin.  I have read interviews that stated he was often told to "turn down" during recordings, but live he would open up the amp to get more power amp saturation.  Later BB switched to the Lab 5 amps (same amp as Ty Tabor in the early days of Kings X), which he often closed-mic'ed with a good ole SM-57.  Here is a template to help if needed: http://line6.com/data/6/0a0643891080a57b6450bd1eef/application/pdf

• 3 weeks later...

FYI This is not a patch per the original OP's request but I just had this built and put into my Helix FX loop. If you're interested Mark Moore of Mark Moore Audio Solutions in Wilmington, NC is building them. You can also search online to find the DIY project for yourself. I can't speak to getting BB's sound with this. I'm more of a fan of Ty Tabor's earlier tone which used the same amp.

lab-series-pedal.jpg

FYI This is not a patch per the original OP's request but I just had this built and put into my Helix FX loop. If you're interested Mark Moore of Mark Moore Audio Solutions in Wilmington, NC is building them. You can also search online to find the DIY project for yourself. I can't speak to getting BB's sound with this. I'm more of a fan of Ty Tabor's earlier tone which used the same amp.

lab-series-pedal.jpg

Huge BB fan here....If you don't mind me asking, what kind of coin are these running?  Went to Mark's site but there is no mention of this pedal....have a beautiful semi-hollow and would like to get close to BB's tone, though will never have that kind of soul....RIP BB!!!

Huge BB fan here....If you don't mind me asking, what kind of coin are these running?  Went to Mark's site but there is no mention of this pedal....have a beautiful semi-hollow and would like to get close to BB's tone, though will never have that kind of soul....RIP BB!!!

Mark only made a pedal for himself and me. When I picked this up the other day I asked if he'd be open to making more and he said yes. I would contact him directly to see what he would charge for the build. I spent about $400 on it. Not cheap but it's essentially a two channel amp with compression in a box. These are built from plans that can be found online if you're handy with a soldering iron. https://aionelectronics.com/project/lab-series-l5-preamp/

Mark only made a pedal for himself and me. When I picked this up the other day I asked if he'd be open to making more and he said yes. I would contact him directly to see what he would charge for the build. I spent about $400 on it. Not cheap but it's essentially a two channel amp with compression in a box. These are built from plans that can be found online if you're handy with a soldering iron. https://aionelectronics.com/project/lab-series-l5-preamp/

Thank you!!!

Don't forget the guitar has tone caps which have that tone or less high end and warm low end BB uses no gain dist, maybe why he prefers the solid state for no clipping.Being a Les Paul user myself my guitars do not have those tone caps in the jazzier model guitars. Like to have that in my bridge position. BB's tone is really not complex, very simple really. But you cannot have the wrong gear and get it. As far as models in the Helix go with the Roland 120 not sure what else is in there that might be close as well. Food for thought though now I have to work on some more Jazz tone presets, 

BYW that is one major cool custom box!