Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider IV 150 using headphones?

DaltonC

So I just bought this amp and I really like it but it's too loud for my living situation but I still want to keep it. I've been trying to find info all over the Internet about running headphones through amps. 2 questions 1- does anyone have any suggestions for things I should look out for when buying headphones or Any suggestions on headphones. 2- how do I go about running them. I've read that the headphone out sucks and that I should run through a computer and then out through headphones. Please if any one can give me some tips that would be much appreciated.

Not sure what someone would mean by 'headphone out sucks'!   Running it into a computer and back out to headphones makes no sense unless you are trying to record the output on the computer.   What is different is the overall sound - much of which, with a guitar amp, is the way the speaker pushes the air (and hence how you hear it) and how that sound gets picked up by the guitar's pickups creating a natural feedback/sustain (not squealing feedback!)

Any set of headphones will work - even earbuds, although you would need to adapt them to the 1/4" stereo output jack of the amp.  Just plug the headphones into the jack on the back of the amp and the speakers are automatically muted.  Be careful of the volume - don't damage your hearing.

Dude thank you so much I was just looking for a straight forward answer I'm not sure why I couldn't find much info on it but thank you. Quick question I've found phones that claim flat sound they claim it's better for hearing sounds the way they are intended through the amp without having any kind of eq boost. This makes sense to me but I'd like a second opinion if possible

Dude thank you so much I was just looking for a straight forward answer I'm not sure why I couldn't find much info on it but thank you. Quick question I've found phones that claim flat sound they claim it's better for hearing sounds the way they are intended through the amp without having any kind of eq boost. This makes sense to me but I'd like a second opinion if possible

With headphones there really is no such thing as 'flat sound'.  Expensive ($99 and more) headphones made for music studio work (not those stupid overpriced Dr Dre things) will have a flatter response curve, but due to the nearness to your eardrums, all headphones end up enhancing bass.  For listening to yourself play guitar, don't be overly concerned.   I picked up a set of (probably counterfeit) Sony headphones on ebay for $20 - construction is not great (I had to reglue the cloth covers over the ear pads) but they've worked for me for 6 years.