Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Speaking of fuzz...

phil_m

No, I haven't tried it will do. Thanks for the tip.

As I said, it's not just treble, it's harmonic content. I'll check the legacy ones (I keep forgetting about those).

been reading about the impedance issues with fuzzes, I'm wondering if that might be affecting the sound. I wasn't putting the fuzz first in chain. There's always a volume pedal and I believe a compressor next, before the fuzz. Supposedly impedance should be at 10K to get optimal fuzz, and then back to 1M when the fuzz is off. Go figure.... Fuzz is fun and stupid and here I am reading about digitally triggered impedance circuitry.

BTW. Do volume pedals count for impedance matching?. 

See the attached list.
I usually assign an impedance of 10k to the same switch that controls the Arbitrator or the Industrial, so that when they're on, the impedance is 10k, and when they're off, it's Auto (or 1M)

ImpedanciasHelix.png

On 6/13/2019 at 2:12 AM, arislaf said:

Did you try the legacy? It has a treble knob that will give you high end.

OH man!. The legacy FuzzMuzz Pi (forget the exact name) was spot on!. You saved me. 

I had the Bigmuff on a loopfx and A/B the legacy version. Totally accurate. I did a blind test with band mates and they actually thought Helix was the real thing. Why?. The eq on that pedal is soooo useful. Added quite a bit of treble and sounded fuller than my Bigmuff, not better, but cut through more. It's great to have that control. 

Regarding the "legacy" folder... From a user perspective that name sort of implies "these are old, you might find something here but we're past this". And here are the particle verb, octaverb and now the fuzz muzz pi, some of my preferred pedals. I don't see the response or dynamics in this fuzz lacks anything compared to "current" fuzzes. 

Anyway. Thank u soooo much. 

BTW. Now that's its there I'm tempted to keep the Bigmuff in the loop, that thing is so beautiful. Just to look at it. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Inerzia said:

See the attached list.
I usually assign an impedance of 10k to the same switch that controls the Arbitrator or the Industrial, so that when they're on, the impedance is 10k, and when they're off, it's Auto (or 1M)

ImpedanciasHelix.png

HI, I'm intrigued by the impedance thing. 

Couple of questions. 

What happens when the pedal is not first in the chain as would be the case with the Cosmos echo?. 

If you put a phisical pedal BEFORE the Helix. Does it affect impedance?. I tried an "always on" Mammoth clone just to add a bit of grit and it causes bad feedback. Wondering if it might be related. 

I couldn't tell the difference in the case of the fuzz muff pi when changing impedance. 

5 hours ago, tahiche said:

HI, I'm intrigued by the impedance thing. 

Couple of questions. 

What happens when the pedal is not first in the chain as would be the case with the Cosmos echo?. 

If you put a phisical pedal BEFORE the Helix. Does it affect impedance?. I tried an "always on" Mammoth clone just to add a bit of grit and it causes bad feedback. Wondering if it might be related. 

I couldn't tell the difference in the case of the fuzz muff pi when changing impedance. 

First of all you are welcome! Legacy has also some great distortions and fuzzes that are missing from the new versions (example heavy distortion).

Regarding impedance, it changes as per 1st effect on chain, no matter if it is on or off (if you set it to auto). So if you put a volume pedal first(1ohm) and a cosmos second, the impedance will remain 1 ohm, resulting in an anutural sound of the effect. (Not bad always though)

If you put your mamoth clone in the loop, the impedance changes, depending in the position you place the effect, for example guitar to heli, first block volume pedal (1ohm) second the mamoth, impedance goes to 250k (random number) IF you pedal is buffered and not true bypass. If it is true bypass, it goes 250k when on, 1 when you turn it off.

If the mamoth is after the guitar and your mamoth goes to helix, then the signal starts 250k, and by putting it to helix, you force helix to convert it, which will sound unatural (and mostly bad) 

Another thing you can do, is change your impedance with snapshots, saves a lot of work like this.

Best advise, use the loopers with your effects. 

15 minutes ago, arislaf said:

If the mamoth is after the guitar and your mamoth goes to helix, then the signal starts 250k, and by putting it to helix, you force helix to convert it, which will sound unatural (and mostly bad)

Yes, it's guitar-Mammoth-Helix. I get extreme feedback this way. As I said, it's setup very mild. I had it to always-on at the beginning of my pedal chain. Going into helix even a simple compressor will cause feedback. Could it be impedance?. Should I set path input impedance at 250k?. Doesn't sound like impedance would cause the feedback. I'll try it in the loop but really I wanted to leave it on all the time.

In general, would you say pedals before helix are a no-go?. 

Great help. Appreciate it!. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, tahiche said:

Yes, it's guitar-Mammoth-Helix. I get extreme feedback this way. As I said, it's setup very mild. I had it to always-on at the beginning of my pedal chain. Going into helix even a simple compressor will cause feedback. Could it be impedance?. Should I set path input impedance at 250k?. Doesn't sound like impedance would cause the feedback. I'll try it in the loop but really I wanted to leave it on all the time.

Yeah, better avoid the before helix stuff. I don't believe is the impedance problem for feedback though, and yes better put it at 250, or what impedance is your pedal 

But general advise is put on the looper everything, even if you leave it always on.

Just a wild card, but does your pickups have covers on top,?

My pickup is a single coil. I play a CGB. The Helix is literally over 5 times the price of my guitar. If it's got to do with the quality of the pickups, I can assure you my pickup situation is not optimal. But man, does it sound good! Haven't picked up my Telecaster since I got this thing. 

The thing is I had no problems with my regular pedals. And i was going into a Voicelive3 as well. Helix seems more sensitive about what goes into it. 

Regarding the Big Muff tone, it's worth noting that on their last tour (not sure if it's still ongoing or not), both Billy Corgan and Jess Schroeder were using the Helix and/or HX Effects for almost of their effects. If there's a band that used the Muff tone more than them over the last 20 years, I don't know of it... So I do believe there are some really convincing Muff tones to be had...

1 hour ago, tahiche said:

If you put a pedal in front of the Helix, generally speaking the input impedance setting on the Helix won't matter, unless that pedal is true bypass and you have it bypassed. Your pickups will be loaded with whatever the first impedance they see is. If a true bypass pedal is bypassed, it just like having a cable running through the pedal, so practically no impedance (other than the cable itself).

The lower the input impedance, the more high end sparkler you'll lose, generally speaking. The low input impedance is kind of a design limitation in older pedals that some guitarists came to like. So it's kind of modeling an idiosyncratic behavior, in a way.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, phil_m said:

Regarding the Big Muff tone, it's worth noting that on their last tour (not sure if it's still ongoing or not), both Billy Corgan and Jess Schroeder were using the Helix and/or HX Effects for almost of their effects. If there's a band that used the Muff tone more than them over the last 20 years, I don't know of it... So I do believe there are some really convincing Muff tones to be had...

Second this. Smashing Pumpkins were sort of the reason I bought the bigmuff back then. 

I agree. The fuzzes in Helix are good and dirty. It was just that I needed the exact tone. The songs were made with the bigmuff and didn't quite work with the others. The legacy BigMuff  is spot on. Guess the legacy was modelled after my exact version. It's one of those pedals that really imprint a tone. 

• Upvote 1