Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Battery help

talljoe

Just got a new standard and am quite pleased with it.

Battery was flat out of the box, so i charged it up.

I did leave it in the guitar but turned off meddling.

two days later it's flat.

Is there a trick to this or is the battery a dud.

Also, does anyone know what strings are put on at the factory ?  I am used to 9's, these feel stiffer.

Thanks,

TJ

What you have described sounds normal to me. As long as you have a 1/4" cord in the jack the battery is being discharged, whether or not you have modelling engaged. Turning the Vol knob down to zero induces a sort of sleep mode, which helps prolong battery life while a cord is connected. The cord connection is effectively an ON/OFF switch for the battery. The Vol knob is a sort of standby mode.

To preserve battery life between sessions unplug the cord.

• 1 month later...

These batteries should not drain quickly on the shelf! Should go 6 months without much loss of charge. If they drain quickly when not used, they are defective.

Nobody said anything about draining "quickly"...but they will discharge eventually, no matter where they are. He asked if it would drain with VDI connected, which it will. He seemed to be inquiring whether or not the VDI connection would charge the battery...which it doesn't.

How long will it last sitting on a shelf? I have no idea, but I know the answer isn't "indefinitely". Never bothered to clock the process, as I don't use the battery anyway. Pretty sure it's dead...hasn't left the guitar case much in 3 years.

• Upvote 1

VDI won't drain the battery!

For the love of God, NOBODY ever said that it did! Not once...

But if you leave the battery in the guitar whilst using the VDI connection, it WILL eventually discharge. End of story. Is the VDI "causing" said discharge? NO, of course not. It would be a dumb question to ask, and an even dumber answer to offer. Fortunately for everybody, that's NOT the question that was asked, nor was it the answer that was given. But it ain't gonna stay magically charged forever either. And whether it takes weeks, months or years, is basically irrelevant to the discussion.

The guy asked "will the battery drain with the VDI plugged in?" Answer: YES. On a long enough timeline, it will do exactly that.

• 1 year later...

Excuse my novice question; I understand the battery drives the on-board electronics, but does it also act as amplification for playing?

I recently purchased s/h 300.

Not remotely...no guitar on earth has hot enough output to drive a speaker. That requires a power amp.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my Standard a few months ago and I did find out the hard way not to leave it plugged in. I use it at 2 rehearsals a week plus practice in between. i can usually get 4 rehearsals at 2 hours each (or more) and some time at home before I need a recharge. Not sure if it discharges while plugged into an amp, but it does seem to last pretty well. I don't have on all night, only when I use the effects. I really like the sound of the straight up guitar as well.