Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69 Loose Volume Knob

The volume control knob on my JTV-69 is loose and I am told it should just pull off such that I can tighten it.  This does not seem to be the case.  It does not pull off.  Occasionally if I catch it while playing I lose volume or get a crackle until I can settle it down.  Has anyone else had this problem.  If I take the scratch plate off I am faced with a maze of wiring so don't touch anything.

"If I take the scratch plate off I am faced with a maze of wiring ..."---

Yes. The volume and tone control knobs are on tight. They need to
be carefully lifted off to access the retainer nut underneath. It keeps the
potentiometers snug against the chassis ground under the pick-guard.
Most guitar techs will have a knob puller, keeps them from using a pry
that can scratch the pick-guard.

Also be aware that if the potentiometers are not aligned just right when
torquing down the retainer nuts, the Model knob can be mis-aligned and
hang up on certain Model selections. Recommend a Line 6 authorized
tech trained in guitars, who knows our product.

The volume control knob on my JTV-69 is loose and I am told it should just pull off such that I can tighten it. This does not seem to be the case. It does not pull off. Occasionally if I catch it while playing I lose volume or get a crackle until I can settle it down. Has anyone else had this problem. If I take the scratch plate off I am faced with a maze of wiring so don't touch anything.

Lotta knobs are on a little tight initially...but it can be done. Gotta get under it with something and GENTLY work your way around the knob prying it up a little at a time. Use a flat head screwdriver with a rag under it so you don't mangle the pickguard. Go slow, and don't be a maniac. It's not a crowbar, and you're not trying to lift a truck off an old lady.

Took all mine off (on this and a million other guitars) to swap out the pickguard. Had zero problems.

2 spoons works well too. Anything that can lever it off.

Make sure not to lever 1 side off too hard before you match the other side. Trying to force it off from 1 side will just bend the knob or damage something, you have to pry it off evenly.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  If it turns out there is a guitar tech within a sensible distance I will consult him.  The Line 6 service centre for the UK is 3 hours drive from me so something of a pain to get to.  I did speak to a guy there who suggested warming the knob up first with a hairdryer to make it come off easier.  I will try as gently as I can to see if this works.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If it turns out there is a guitar tech within a sensible distance I will consult him. The Line 6 service centre for the UK is 3 hours drive from me so something of a pain to get to. I did speak to a guy there who suggested warming the knob up first with a hairdryer to make it come off easier. I will try as gently as I can to see if this works.

Lol, the hairdryer is a new one for me. If they were those plastic Fender-style Strat knobs, I suppose that might help make the knob itself a bit more pliable, but I doubt it's gonna accomplish much with these knurled metal knobs...but who knows? Stranger things have happened.

Eureka, thanks again to you people.  I used the suggestion from the Line 6 service centre to warm up the knob with a hairdryer and then employed two spoons carefully and bingo; the knob came off quite smoothly.  Obviously tightening up the nut underneath is then a no-brainer and all is now snug and tight.

Just a point to cruisinon, I just saw your comment.  Yes warming up did the trick.  As you know the knobs on the JTV-69 are metal and it warmed up real quick with the hairdryer and it seems the expansion or whatever makes removing it easier.

Just a point to cruisinon, I just saw your comment. Yes warming up did the trick. As you know the knobs on the JTV-69 are metal and it warmed up real quick with the hairdryer and it seems the expansion or whatever makes removing it easier.

Fair enough. If it works, it works.

I'd look silly buying a hairdryer though...I'm as bald as a cue ball. ;)

Just a point to cruisinon, I just saw your comment.  Yes warming up did the trick.  As you know the knobs on the JTV-69 are metal and it warmed up real quick with the hairdryer and it seems the expansion or whatever makes removing it easier.

The model selector knob is molded plastic.

In reply to all you guys. This suggestion worked. The knob in question is metal, nothing else melted, goodness knows what hairdryers some of you use, like cruisinon I can dry mine with a single sheet of bog roll. I certainly don't need a welding torch. I do take the points, however. I just used the heat briefly and did no damage.

I don't think the knob really needs heat to be lifted off. It's snug tight but when you use 2 spoons, one on each side, it slides off like butter. I said to avoid prying from only 1 side, because technically if you did that, it would be lifting one side and pushing the other side against the knob, creating a tilt which makes it even tighter, and forcing any more lift is basically forcing an object onto another which can damage the knob shaft or the knob itself.