Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Options for monitoring/recording at home

Indianrock2020

I love the sounds I'm getting from my HD500x/powered speaker setup at home, but I'm tempted to leave the Alto TS112 at the practice space rather than lug it back and forth.  So considering some sort of headphones.

I always have a USB connection from POD to laptop for HDEdit and Workbench.  

What would you suggest as far as gear?

Well the headphones will give me stereo -- although not sure what that does since I don't use stereo effects. And they make it more difficult to dial in patches that ultimately run through our church PA.

You asked for gear that will allow you to play at home without lugging the Alto around...and you specifically asked about headphones, yet somehow they're suddenly a bad idea. So what are you looking for?

You also answered your own question. Its only stereo if you're using stereo effects. A mono patch with everything panned up the middle in the mixer block merely sends the same signal to both sides. Just because you're listening on both sides of your head, doesn't make it "stereo".

So, no...headphones will not make it difficult to make patches for a PA. It's either that, or a pair of studio monitors...either option is as close as you're gonna get without buying another Alto, or something similar. Reasonably flat-response headphones will get you very close to a reasonably flat-response PA. I've been doing exactly that for several years now.

NOTHING, however will be identical to the Alto...not even another Alto, necessarily. There are always differences, and greater or lesser degrees of compromise.

Thanks for the responses.  Obviously I'm unsure as how to proceed but headphones are a relatively cheap solution in the meantime.

I wouldn't want isolating headphones since I'm almost always jamming along to music from another source ( although I could try to mix the POD and music source )

Are these the AkG phones you suggested      https://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA

I'm also considering something like the JamHub for our jam group practice space which would mean I could leave the Alto at home.

JamHub

Thanks for the responses. Obviously I'm unsure as how to proceed but headphones are a relatively cheap solution in the meantime.

I wouldn't want isolating headphones since I'm almost always jamming along to music from another source ( although I could try to mix the POD and music source )

Are these the AkG phones you suggested https://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA

I'm also considering something like the JamHub for our jam group practice space which would mean I could leave the Alto at home.

JamHub

That's them...and that's a great price. Cheap as I've ever seen them. For a million years they were $100-$110 most places.

I have zero experience with the jam hub, so can't help you there...but if the goal is just to not drag the Alto around, not sure why you'd need that thing. Why not just plug into whatever PA you're running the vocals through at rehearsals?

I use Audio Technica Studio Monitor Headphones ATH-M50  for the last 3 years .  Still puts a smile on my face when playing EZ Drummer with a Bass guitar mix through these and just so gorgeous for guitar !! Distorted sound still remains punchy and clear at low end and clean sound with little delay and compressor sounds like Pink Floyd tone without messing with any effects !! ! They aren't the cheapest ones out there but i can recommend all day long . Ohhhh . and yes be careful when adjusting the volume cos those are very loud ! Too loud really but down the volume a bit and your brain will be in heaven  :)

RESPECT!