Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buzzing External Amp out

SimpleSi

Have had this problem with multiple amps.

When using the Helix to switch channels or what ever the amp has switchable (Real amps). When ever using a TS or TRS cable. regardless of which.

The Amps always get a horrific Buzzing. Consistantly. not sometimes.

Googling lead to no answers - but that obviously some people are experiencing the same thing..

This has NOTHING to do with my power source, as it doesn't matter if I'm plugged in at home, at a gig etc. 

The buzzing STOPS when unplugging the EXT AMP output.

I do have an external pedal that came with the Amp for switching the mid boost on and off, however I'd like to think I can use the actual functions of the Helix so I don't have to.

I don't really want to have to buy some stupid humbuster or isolating external box to stop this (as this is what some people have done on other forums) it's $30-100 i shouldn't have to spend.

I can't use this.

It's an American plug.

I really don't want to be buying things only to find that they don't fix it.

My question is, why am I getting this only with external amp out. And not any other cables.

Sounds more like a problem with the helix than a ground loop issue.

As it doesn't buzz with anything else.

I had this same issue also with multiple amps. The HumX by Ebtech didn't solve the issue. The only way I solved it was to use an Ebtech Hum Eliminator inline from the helix out to the Ebtech to the front of the amp. The hum was completely eliminated. I have since stopped using the helix with an amp but I struggled with this for quite some time. The Ext Amp control is my only real complaint with the Helix.

• Upvote 1

I had this same issue also with multiple amps. The HumX by Ebtech didn't solve the issue. The only way I solved it was to use an Ebtech Hum Eliminator inline from the helix out to the Ebtech to the front of the amp. The hum was completely eliminated. I have since stopped using the helix with an amp but I struggled with this for quite some time. The Ext Amp control is my only real complaint with the Helix.

where did you have to place it when using the Ext Amp out for switching? on the actual inputs of the amp? or inline with the Ext Amp switching cable?

I would also like to note to Line6 in general

we shouldn't have to be buying $30-50+ USD products to stop something a product shouldn't do..  :angry:

Yes this is very annoying indeed.

I contacted tech support and they said the Ext Amp works with "most amps"

I replied asking which amps it actually worked with... as it clearly does not work with Marshalls or Mesas to name but two of the major brands.

I did not get a reply to my question.

where did you have to place it when using the Ext Amp out for switching? on the actual inputs of the amp? or inline with the Ext Amp switching cable?

I would also like to note to Line6 in general

we shouldn't have to be buying $30-50+ USD products to stop something a product shouldn't do.. :angry:

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I'm the Aussie Product Special ist and have encountered this on a couple of amps. I found a quick 'fix' which I wanted to share.

Use a TRS cable for the ext amp and pull it out by 1/3 on either the Helix or amp. No this is not a joke and it reduces hum dramatically.

Our tech is checking out a fix when I have a bit of time to breathe on my end. It's amplifying an internal hum.

See if this helps

• 6 months later...

I also found this quick solution by myself after several tests. But is no reliable. First I was exhited but did not last long.
I just got a Helix and I really liked it, but this trs issue is driving me mad. Going midi is a solution, 40us$ and a externar box, plus you need to power it with 9 v, its a solution, but Helix was supposed to be a all in one pedalboard, that annoys me.
I am keeping the Helix anyway, it does a lot!

Just to inform other Mesa Electra dyne users, mine switch perfect, the problem is the loud hum when connecting a trs to the Ext Amp input.

I found this  Lehl accessories: http://lehle.com/EN/Accessories

MANUAL: 

http://lehle.com/EN/Lehle-DC-Filter/MANUAL#go

• I also found this midi, the size and no power required sounds like a great deal... but I am not sure it can work for controlling a TRS amp switch via midi with helix... https://www.amazon.c...x/dp/B001WAKOKS

• They also have a TRS to MIDI CABLE....Can this work with HELIX??? Actually this sounds like the perfect solution to amp switching but not sure  if it works...  http://lehle.com/EN/Lehle-MIDI-Kabel

• 11 months later...

I have the same issue with a Friedman Runt 50...so its 2018 and it does not work with Marshall Mesa and Friedman...

The solution is not buying an extra unit to fix it!! I love the Helix sound wise and for manx other reasons but this is bad!!

• 3 months later...

... quite sad, that this Problem is not even considered to be resolved...

I finally build up my rig with the Helix Effect as the control Center. I have two amps: a midi controled Blackstar series one 50 and for smaller venues a Friedman Runt20. If the chanel switch od  Runt 20 is connected to  ext.Amp of the Helix an unacceptable low frequenzy buzz occurs.

Since a fix is not in sight, I will purchase a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher and change to Midi Control. Anyway so I do not have to adapt all my presets and Snapshot to Midi and Amp switching Action... pphhhh

Its not just a Helix issue.  Whenever you connect two amps from a split of some sort, like stereo, or Wet - Dry etc, you will likely have hum issues.  Its the grounding and must be lifted somewhere. The advice given by other posters above will/should work.  If you had the amps hooked up before Helix without noise, you got lucky.  Some amps leak voltage to ground, in fact its hard not to when there are 400+ volts in there. 

Remember NEVER lift the ground of the Amp power plug!!!  Transformer isolation seems to work well.  Experiment with where to isolate and see what works for you.