Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Impulse Response supporting.

joeloduca

Hello all,

I am a huge Helix fan, great device!   Got a question regarding impulse response files and what it can support to the HELIX.  For example, I have bought many across the internet and for amp and speaker cabinet responses, you can slide it into your helix and --  -- there great..   But as I read on the topic of impulse responses on the internet (not necessarily referring to the helix), it's mentioned a lot regarding reverb.  In other words, there are folks out there that take a sample of a Hall, Cathedral, Church, whatever that they regard as "the greatest thing since sliced bread" and put those impulse response - Reverb sound finger print into a file....   So...   you now have a reverb impulse file and many software plugins can use those in DAWs.   My question is, CAN THE HELIX USE THESE REVERB FILES and  ....   Poof!  its like you are playing in your virtual sample of THAT ROOM?

I've looked at the documentation regarding this subject and unless I am missing it, its not there making me think the impulse response is STRICTLY going to recreate that AMP-SPEAKER-MIC combination and nothing else..

regards!

joe

The IR block in the Helix can only support IR files with 1028 or 2048 samples. A good convolution reverb probably has 20 times or more samples than that, and they require a lot in the way of DSP to process - like it could possibly use the resources of an entire SHARC processor. So, to answer your question, the IR block is just for cabinet IRs.

• Upvote 1

The Helix IR blocks also work well for acoustic guitar body images which also don't require a very long IR.

Very true... Not sure why I forgot that in my earlier comment, as I actually use a few acoustic IRs.

Hey, thanks to you both for the information..  You saved me some wasted time trying to make these reverb IR's work.  I actually tried a few...   And got absolutely nothing...       I do like the acoustic IR comments too..  And I do play acoustic (2 of them) and can stand some improvements on that..   I am going to research who but if you have any recommendations of web sites of things that you like, please let me know.  I also like personal recommendations over media hype..    For electrics, I found OWNHAMMER.com which I like very much..

have  a great day!