Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x buzz

sugardaddy1979

So I just acquired a used pod. I really like it. But I have an issue with buzzing /humming through headphones or amp. The noise stops when I touch the pod or metal on my guitar. The noise isn't there with no guitar plugged in and if I turn the guitar down the noise goes away. I've tested two different guitars and both do it. However, neither of these guitars buzz on any other amp. Another interesting thing, when connected via USB it seems to ground it and there is no buzz. Could it be the power supply? The guy had replaced the original with a cheap Chinese power supply. Could that be it or should I look for a different problem?

..... Could it be the power supply? The guy had replaced the original with a cheap Chinese power supply. .....

Yes, it could be. Make sure the specs on your power supply exactly match the specs of the official Line 6 unit. Using the wrong power supply can not only affect the performance, it can cause damage to your POD.

The correct specs are:

DC-3g: (POD HD 300/400/500/500X and HD Bean): 9V DC, 3A (3000mA) Plug length: 15mm, Diameter: 5mm, Center Pin: 2mm.

The specs all match except it is 2.5 amps. It also has a converter on the end from positive center to negative. I would get a line 6 replacement but $40 is a bit nuts for a psu....

But it won't buzz.

More importantly, it won't burn out your unit.

Hey, it could be the power supply.

BUT. Another possibility. It could just be the way the unit works. 

It all depends on what kind of buzz you are are talking about. 

Most of us have had our units awhile and know the difference between Pod buzz and problem buzz. 

The HD500 is a noisy unit. The noise is part of the "realism" of the unit. A noise gate in the signal chain helps. 

If it disappears when you touch stuff, it could be a ground problem. BUT, it could be a ground on your guitar, not on the Pod, that only gets amplified when dealing with the noise of the Pod. 

Endless possibilities. 

We've had an apartment dweller, who's neighbor's electronics on the other side of the wall caused a problem. 

We've had robotic lawn mowers causing interference. 

Headphones that didn't connect properly causing phase issues. 

They are great units. But they take a bit to learn all of the idiosyncrasies. Gone are the days when you plug something in far away from the refrigerator and microwave.  We have so many electronic devices in our lives, there is no way to really know what is causing what anymore.

Whatever" pianoguyy "said plus you should be happy that when you touch the unit or the strings on your guitar the noise stops !!!!

THIS ONLY MEANS that you have a proper earthing  on both unit and the guitar :)   and noise ? yeah noise will always  be there no matter what . even power cables inside the wall will make hell of a difference when you position the unit closer to the wall :)    crazy lollipop but its truth !

And by all means i agree that the quickest way to lollipop up your pedal and add some more unwanted noise is using WRONG Power supplier !  

RESPECT !! 

Where do you play your guitar while plugged into your HD?

Are you sat in front of your PC? Is it a laptop or desktop? Turn so that the bridge of the guitar is at 90 degrees to the PC.

What else is powered from where you plug your HD into? If there are other electrical loads being run off the same source, it can cause an audible "buzzing", also if you're running it from an extension lead. Try turning unnecessary items off (not on standby either - that still draws current).