Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Upgrading to Helix from POD XT Live

treater99

So, I'm wondering about compatibility.  I have many many patches that I've spend untold hours honing and tweaking on my XT Live.  Will I be able to import those patches into the HELIX and take them with me?  I just don't want to leave them all behind.  Anyone do this?

• Upvote 1

Don't worry.  We've all been through it with our previous systems.  I left behind almost 90 patches on my HD500X and have been in the process of rebuilding them.  The good news is there's MASSIVELY less tweaking necessary to get the sound you want, so creating the patches is a fraction of what it was on previous systems.

So, I'm wondering about compatibility.  I have many many patches that I've spend untold hours honing and tweaking on my XT Live.  Will I be able to import those patches into the HELIX and take them with me?  I just don't want to leave them all behind.  Anyone do this?

Hi treater99,

Simple answer - no!

It's a completely different architecture that is used to create the digital tone stuff in Helix - it's a whole world (galaxy) of difference.

I feel your pain, I ported patches from the old kidney bean POD to the XT Live, then to the HD 500 - a thankless task - and they never really fully work!

At least with Helix everything is a lot quicker when it comes to editing and getting a decent/good tone from scratch.

Also, check out "Customtone" for some starting points, all the usual suspects are in there. They will just need tweeking to match your set up.

Have fun.

You will find that a lot of your presets may go from 4 to make a song to one preset that has everything loaded and just toggling states using SnapShots!  I have a couple of presets that could be used all night long if I was forced to.

It's incredible, and I've owned everything but the Atomic Reactor Amplifire.

Welcome to the modern world. You will be able to create superb sounding patches much quicker than with XT, X3 or HD models. I have owned Pod models since 2.0 and there has always been something (or a few things often) that just grated with me with them. Even the HD500X (which I need to sell asap) was a frustrating journey. Not sure if it was me missing something with it but I was horrendously disappointed with it.

Helix is a different kettle of fish. The whole tone creation process is helped massively by the straight out great amp sounds. Please don't judge Helix by the presets as they are a poor (imo/to my ears) representation of the unit and quality available. I've never played the amount of guitar I currently do and it all started the day Helix arrived.

You will find that a lot of your presets may go from 4 to make a song to one preset that has everything loaded and just toggling states using SnapShots!  I have a couple of presets that could be used all night long if I was forced to.

It's incredible, and I've owned everything but the Atomic Reactor Amplifire.

+1 to this.  I had about 25 different patches on my HD500 that I used for live performance, and I was dreading the rebuild onto Helix.  It really was pretty painless -- it was actually fun because everything just sounded so much better, and the workflow of Helix is much quicker to work in.  Now, I have about 6 total presets live, and 5 of those are specialty patches for things like Hendrix, Gilmour, U2, etc.  But like glideman, I could really run on one "main" patch all night if I had to.  With snapshots, I was able to create a single preset to go from sparkling clean to nasty lead (and everything in between).