Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jazz-playing JTV owners: share your clean Archtop model Super400 patches and tricks/tips for great arch top jazz tone with JTV+HELIX

d0stenning

Getting a JTV59  Archtop model  to sound like a mellow warm  woody flat-wound guitar going through something like a Polytone, like a Jim hall or Russell Malone type tone  is not easy. 

Sure - one can roll off the top... but .... anyway - consider this a competition to find the best simple but authentic sounding "woody"  tone for the JTV when using both the HELIX  AND a JTV  Archtop model set to Super 400. 

I'll accept the 175 model if among for Jim hall ( since i think he used L4 arctops at one time ) 

No heavy effects needed - 

Now... which amp model to use ?   personally - i never liked the Roland JC.   Have been playing around with the Gibson 185  amp - but not there yet..

I've also been wondering if one of the three Acoustic Steel String JTV models "suitably treated"  in the HELIX - might actually get nearer the tones here than the Archtop models. 

Also noted that the 175 model has its uses - its much more middy - which can help - but the Super 400 model of course has the low end and is  more "dark"..... dunno..