Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Video Lessons - Dialing in for bedroom/gig volumes

bzoni

This is a cross post, but Frank R suggested I post here as well. 

A lot of talk about the best way to dial in patches for gigvolume and the problems with dialing in at bedroom then playing live. TI put these two videos together after really digging into all the volume and tone quirks you get dialing in different tones for different volumes, etc.

Video 1 is a really nerdy look at explaining things we experience as guitarists, including ear fatigue, Fletcher Munson effect (the jerky doctors that make my patches sound crap at high volumes) and "cotton ear":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTNhCRjKBec

Video 2 is much shorter and offers an evidence-based approach to building patches at low volumes to sound much more natural at high volumes... A problem we all encounter with modelers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c2723NVwNs

• Upvote 7

Thanks for the interesting lesson (and patch)!

What about recording: I guess I should always use the patch without EQ added, is that correct?

It's likely that you'll have to EQ after the fact in your DAW, regardless of whether or not you're adding any in the patch itself. Once you start adding multiple instruments, the whole ballgame changes anyway.

I found these videos very helpful. I was always boggled as to why one patch would seem so much louder than another even though I had used a dB meter to dial them in.

Which is why those things are almost entirely useless...

Your ears won't fail you, however...unless you're already deaf. ;)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for these very helpful videos! You explained what caused me often to say "how come ? that sounded great at home..."     Good idea to have Hi- and Low-Volume banks. Will be a lot of work to optimize my patches but could be worth it.

Thanks for these very helpful videos! You explained what caused me often to say "how come ? that sounded great at home..." Good idea to have Hi- and Low-Volume banks. Will be a lot of work to optimize my patches but could be worth it.

Look at it this way...you only have to do it once. Beats the hell out of tweaking the same set of patches back and forth between home and gig volume constantly.

Thanks for these very helpful videos! You explained what caused me often to say "how come ? that sounded great at home..."     Good idea to have Hi- and Low-Volume banks. Will be a lot of work to optimize my patches but could be worth it.

I might be missing something here, but the way I have it set is to have one of the EQ blocks at the end of my chain, and assign it to a footswitch; then when I'm playing at home, have it engaged, and then when live, just disengage it.

Of course, I have yet to try this live, but should be fine!