Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hopefully this will help those seeking solution to this same problem, I searched the forum and found nothing.......so hear it is;  Two of the slits on the graphite nut had horrible slippage from day 1, UNbeliveable!!!!  Mostly the high E string, just from picking the string it would POP right off the frigin nut!!  and same for the D string only on bends around 2/3rd fret.  Impatiently I started to hack away on it with a utility razor and still, finally I got the strings to stay put BUT now I have bad string buzz and neck and action/springs everything has been adjusted to various positions but....yes, I messed up and cut too deep.  I have all the setup the way I like it but the high E buzz persist. 

Any one have the correct size info. for replacement NUT, so I can just replace it with a better one?  I rather buy it my self then have to go through the warranty process and wait.  Please HELP, thanx it advance. 

Any one have the correct size info. for replacement NUT, so I can just replace it with a better one?  I rather buy it my self then have to go through the warranty process and wait.  Please HELP, thanx it advance.

I expect you've voided your warranty anyway. I changed my JTV-59 nut to an Earvana nut and it's worked very well. I had the work done by an experienced guitar tech so he took care of the measurements, ordering, and any adjustments on the guitar itself, including post-installation setup. That seemed better to me than trying to install it myself. Based on your recent track record of DIY nut adjustments you might want to consider doing the same.

It takes some skill to modify a nut to play correctly.  I have gone through several nuts doing that myself.  I always buy a few extras.  If you get it wrong, it makes things ugly.  You need proper nut files AND you need to get a good book on guitar setup to see how to properly adjust a nut.  Even then the learning curve will consume a nut or three depending on your basic skill set.

If you want to learn to do this go ahead.  I did and I can do it well now.  If you don't want to learn to do it, find a good guitar tech and pay him to do it.  Should not be all that expensive.

Were the strings under the two string trees on the headstock? If not, that would explain why the strings were popping out of the nut.

The nut may be cut with minimal depth to minimize friction so that the strings return to proper pitch after the bar is used.