Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Possible bug on firmware 2.01 or defect on my Helix rack?

pinoy1

Hey guys,  

I've been experiencing this I what I call a "dead-silence" Helix situation ever since I got rack the unit.   

Basically, while in the middle of playing, the sound will just cutoff.  No sound, just complete silence coming out my monitors or xtone cab.

All buttons in the unit are still functioning and also in the editor.  

The only way I can get the sound back is to change to another preset.  What annoys me the most is that it happens so randomly.  The only consistency that I noticed, and this might just be a coincidence, is that it seem to happen when I'm using an imported preset.  

It's worst right now since I bought the Fremen package last week.  Before, it will only happen maybe once in a while but it's been very frequent since using the Fremen presets.   

Anyone else having a similar experience?  I don't know if this is a software bug or a defect on the unit.  

Any thoughts will be appreciated.   

Thanks.

Does this happen if you build your own patch using only Line 6 suff (no imported IRs)?

I'm wondering if you have picked up some corrupt code somewhere there.

A factory reset (after a full backup) would be worth trying.

Then you could start slowly loading patches  (you probably have a "guestimate" on which ones are the most stable) and see how you go.

There are 2 possibilities here - something wrong with something you have installed - easy to happen given different sources and just bad downloads - or its your Helix.

Lets hope its the first one!

Does this happen if you build your own patch using only Line 6 suff (no imported IRs)?

I'm wondering if you have picked up some corrupt code somewhere there.

A factory reset (after a full backup) would be worth trying.

Then you could start slowly loading patches  (you probably have a "guestimate" on which ones are the most stable) and see how you go.

There are 2 possibilities here - something wrong with something you have installed - easy to happen given different sources and just bad downloads - or its your Helix.

Lets hope its the first one!

"Does this happen if you build your own patch using only Line 6 suff (no imported IRs)?"  -- Not that I could think of.  But it could be a coincidence for now.  Need to do more experimentation.  

"A factory reset (after a full backup) would be worth trying."  -- I'll definitely do this later.  For now, I want to figure out if there's some pattern that I can detect.   

"Lets hope its the first one!" --- I hope so too. :)

I experience the exact same issue as OP. 

I have to check if it also happens with the factory presets, but I especially experienced this problem with the Fremen pack.

At least you are not alone pinoy1 :-)

@timster666

Where you experiencing this before the Fremen presets?  And are you also using a rack unit?  

"At least you are not alone pinoy1 :-)"  -- glad to hear that I'm not alone. :)  

Thanks.

Thanks.

What Helix output(s) does this occur with?

@duncann,  

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, but here are my set up:  

1. Helix rack --> a pair of KRK Rockit 5.  The left channel is through XLR out and 1/4 out for the right channel.  

2. Helix rack --> Matrix GT1000FX (power amp) --> Xitone cab (1 x12 FRFR).  I'm using the Helix right XLR out on this.  

I'm experiencing the issue in both setups.   

Thanks.

@duncann,  

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, but here are my set up:  

1. Helix rack --> a pair of KRK Rockit 5.  The left channel is through XLR out and 1/4 out for the right channel.  

2. Helix rack --> Matrix GT1000FX (power amp) --> Xitone cab (1 x12 FRFR).  I'm using the Helix right XLR out on this.  

I'm experiencing the issue in both setups.   

Thanks.

Mentioned it because I get dropouts from the spdif output on a floor unit, but they are almost always only a fraction of a second in duration, and rarely a dropout occurs with infinite duration, or until I unplug and replug the spdif cable on the back of Helix. Others have complained about this with the spdif output. But since you're using the XLR and 1/4", it's probably something completely unrelated.

I'd probably start with a factory reset, as rvroberts suggests, after backing up any presets/setlists. Not sure what switch/encoder combo is for that on a rack unit, but it is different than the floor unit.

@timster666

Where you experiencing this before the Fremen presets?  And are you also using a rack unit?  

"At least you are not alone pinoy1 :-)"  -- glad to hear that I'm not alone. :)

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am not quite sure, as I got the Fremen pack 2 days after getting the Helix, and have almost exclusively used those presets - but I will try and keep an eye open.

I have the floor model and use 1/4 mono out going to my soundcard/DAW.

Mentioned it because I get dropouts from the spdif output on a floor unit, but they are almost always only a fraction of a second in duration, and rarely a dropout occurs with infinite duration, or until I unplug and replug the spdif cable on the back of Helix. Others have complained about this with the spdif output. But since you're using the XLR and 1/4", it's probably something completely unrelated.

I'd probably start with a factory reset, as rvroberts suggests, after backing up any presets/setlists. Not sure what switch/encoder combo is for that on a rack unit, but it is different than the floor unit.

@ duncann - "I'd probably start with a factory reset, as rvroberts suggests, after backing up any presets/setlists."  

-- I will definitely do that.  Thanks for the response.  

Hi,

I am not quite sure, as I got the Fremen pack 2 days after getting the Helix, and have almost exclusively used those presets - but I will try and keep an eye open.

I have the floor model and use 1/4 mono out going to my soundcard/DAW.

@timster666 -- Thanks for the response.  Please report back if you see any patter or solution.  Thanks.