Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hello everyone

hrroach

Thanks, just happened to find that action figure going through some old boxes. Its from 1974. I like your gif too! 

I chuckled when I saw your thread had spidey in it 'cause the other day I was at a toy store with my 3 yr. old niece and I found a cool 3 inch tall squishy, rubbery spider man and picked it up. She saw me with it and wanted it, lol. She likes rubber, squishy, stretchy things. She even likes slime, lol.

Brazzy, that must have been too cute. Hope you got it for her... and im glad that my thread put a smile on you. One smile makes it worth it and that was the purpose. (to see if someone would smile). The funny thing is i found the spidy dude, and sat him down on my amp. It was over an hour later that i realized what i had actually done, as it hit me, the amp is also named spider... haha thats when i took the photo. I might not have even made the connection except for i left the red sticker on the amp that was on the showroom floor that says SPIDER IV Million guitarists cant be wrong...it covers 1/3rd of the speaker grill.

• Upvote 1

Brazzy, that must have been too cute. Hope you got it for her... and im glad that my thread put a smile on you. One smile makes it worth it and that was the purpose. (to see if someone would smile). The funny thing is i found the spidy dude, and sat him down on my amp. It was over an hour later that i realized what i had actually done, as it hit me, the amp is also named spider... haha thats when i took the photo. I might not have even made the connection except for i left the red sticker on the amp that was on the showroom floor that says SPIDER IV Million guitarists cant be wrong...it covers 1/3rd of the speaker grill.

Thanks for the smile hrroach. She got the rubbery Spider Man and a Barbie, lol. It's funny that you didn't realize exactly what you had done when you put your Spider Man action figure on your Spider IV amp, lol. That's the way I am sometime. Do something and then realize the connection.

Also, I still have my Spider III 15 and it sounds pretty good for a small amp. I've had it for about 8 years now. Works great.

So you found that toy from 1974? That's cool. Around that time I would've really had fun with that action figure. So that one is 8 inches tall? I found the following picture on google.

s-l225.jpg

thats the one

_c4f4ba83d8f45a91346a02bf74109fc8-jpg.jp

I have not seen the spider III but im enjoying the IV 15, just wish i knew how to get the right tone im trying to get... i think it might come down to different pickups. I have a 2015 LP studio with a 57 classic and a 57 plus, and i think the tone i am trying to get is that found with 490/498 pickups. But maybe i just need a better knowledge of the tone settings on the amp, Just started getting serious about guitar again, after being a drummer all my life. Always fiddled with it but now im actually turning into a guitarist.

My problem seems to be multiple issues really... i get one thing close but it causes another, example, I am getting way too much quack, like 70's disco wahka wahka wacka, i turn the tone down on the treble and then i cant hear my high e, or b and g strings over the lower e and a. messed with pole height probably made things worse, tried putting back to factory specs and back to the first problem again. its either too muddy or to tinny like am radio compression.

thats the one

_c4f4ba83d8f45a91346a02bf74109fc8-jpg.jp

I have not seen the spider III but im enjoying the IV 15, just wish i knew how to get the right tone im trying to get... i think it might come down to different pickups. I have a 2015 LP studio with a 57 classic and a 57 plus, and i think the tone i am trying to get is that found with 490/498 pickups. But maybe i just need a better knowledge of the tone settings on the amp, Just started getting serious about guitar again, after being a drummer all my life. Always fiddled with it but now im actually turning into a guitarist.

My problem seems to be multiple issues really... i get one thing close but it causes another, example, I am getting way too much quack, like 70's disco wahka wahka wacka, i turn the tone down on the treble and then i cant hear my high e, or b and g strings over the lower e and a. messed with pole height probably made things worse, tried putting back to factory specs and back to the first problem again. its either too muddy or to tinny like am radio compression.

I have the same problem too. I've got several guitars and some sound better than others. Also, I've found out I can compensate with my attack on the guitar strings sometimes. I've got an Epiphone Special II tuned to open G that sounds great through it.

When ever I try to dial in a tone on one of these kinds of amps I usually pick a model then turn down all the tone stack knobs, no FX, no reverb and turn the master to full. Then with the guitar volume about 30-40% I'll strum the guitar hard to see if any sound passes through the amp. With some models sound passes even with every tone stack knob at 0 so this tells me how sensitive the amp model/channel is. I'll also see what gives when the guitar volume at maxed. Then I start by turning the amp model volume to whatever volume I like. Testing with my attack going along the way. Then I start opening the bass up but leaving the mid and treble cut to see what kind of bass passes and I'll do this with the mid and then the treble to see what passes. Doing it this way you might be surprised with where the knobs actually end up when you find a good setting, lol. Then I add a little drive and turn down the volume and maybe treble. Really it's whatever works for ya. I had to come up with some kind of basis for setting the knobs 'cause it's too easy to get lost with amp modeling, IMO.

I also set my Spider Jam the same way. Took me years to figure this out reading and trying things off and on, lol. Plus my playing wasn't all that great when I started, lol. Give it try unless you already have. One thing I noticed about amp modeling is that the master volume needs to up past 70%. I like 100% but 55% at min. IMO. Hope this helps some YMMV.

Edited by Brazzy

one of the things i like about the spider IV 15 is that it sounds good at low volume. Partly because im terrible still and mostly because i dont want to let my neighbors know i have anything of value in my place. I live in that kind of place... just south of Oakland Ca. And then there is her, the lady of the house, which is the reason i mostly use headphones. opening the amp up at full volume is not an option. My other amp danelectro is too quiet until i go just pat 0.8 then it jumps to too loud. I cannot even use that amp here and it has a unique sound but the distortion is too fuzzy, so it led me to this spider. Thanks for your tips I WILL definitely revisit the settings using your method. Kinda how i set it up too. I am almost positive that my problem has to do with my pickups, i never took the time to compare the 57's to the 490/498's, but if you do that you find they are worlds apart from each other. Getting all the strings to cut through the lows is a difficult challenge . I want the loudest string to be the last one i play and i want my chords to accent all of the strings in it evenly. Think of the beginning to "Rock Candy". I add that much drive and i cannot hear the high e and b strings hardly at all so pick up adjusting has become a pain for me, when i think the real answer is to replace the 57's with the hotter 490/498 combo...

I JUST NOTICED HOW I AM BABBLING SORRY

one of the things i like about the spider IV 15 is that it sounds good at low volume. Partly because im terrible still and mostly because i dont want to let my neighbors know i have anything of value in my place. I live in that kind of place... just south of Oakland Ca. And then there is her, the lady of the house, which is the reason i mostly use headphones. opening the amp up at full volume is not an option. My other amp danelectro is too quiet until i go just pat 0.8 then it jumps to too loud. I cannot even use that amp here and it has a unique sound but the distortion is too fuzzy, so it led me to this spider. Thanks for your tips I WILL definitely revisit the settings using your method. Kinda how i set it up too. I am almost positive that my problem has to do with my pickups, i never took the time to compare the 57's to the 490/498's, but if you do that you find they are worlds apart from each other. Getting all the strings to cut through the lows is a difficult challenge . I want the loudest string to be the last one i play and i want my chords to accent all of the strings in it evenly. Think of the beginning to "Rock Candy". I add that much drive and i cannot hear the high e and b strings hardly at all so pick up adjusting has become a pain for me, when i think the real answer is to replace the 57's with the hotter 490/498 combo...

I JUST NOTICED HOW I AM BABBLING SORRY

I can understand not being able to crank the amp up. Whenever I get the opportunity I'll crank my amps up big time and let them sing, lol, which is not often at all. An EQ between the guitar and amp can be used to help cut the lows but you probably already know that. I don't really know the specifics about pick ups but I know they really affect tone. Picks also change tone, speaking of that I've got to try a heavy nylon Herco pick for some dark tones I'm looking for. As for rambling, I think we all do that, lol.

Yea i adjusted my pickups, experimenting too much, untill i made it worse and worse getting far away from the professional set up that i paid a good amount of cash for. I admit i messed his work up. Im curious what can i say. And i wouldnt have messed with em if i was satisfied with the sound to begin with though, so im not entirely at fault, just mostly guilty. I did set them back to factory heights (the poles and the whole pu), and that is why i think it is just my taste vs those 57 pu's, that dont agree. i know for a fact i love the 490/498 set cause i had those in another lp i own.

Yea i adjusted my pickups, experimenting too much, untill i made it worse and worse getting far away from the professional set up that i paid a good amount of cash for. I admit i messed his work up. Im curious what can i say. And i wouldnt have messed with em if i was satisfied with the sound to begin with though, so im not entirely at fault, just mostly guilty. I did set them back to factory heights (the poles and the whole pu), and that is why i think it is just my taste vs those 57 pu's, that dont agree. i know for a fact i love the 490/498 set cause i had those in another lp i own.

Your not the only one curious about experimenting with pick up heights and stuff, as I point to myself, lol. I've got guitars just so I could try whatever I wanted with them and others I haven't done anything but put strings on. This is how I try to learn, experience. Gotta do it to know what gives, ya know what I mean? lol