Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LCD Scribble Strip Issue

bruceleemani

I've had the Helix for about 3 months now. Totally happy with all the stuff it can do and it's an integral part of my live/studio rig. 

I'm near fanatical about how I maintain my gear (still have an all-plastic Boss ME-8 from 1996 that works perfectly) so I'm a bit miffed by this problem I'm seeing with one of the 'Scribble Strip' LCD screens on my Helix - that vertical line of dead, black pixels on the left, with another one developing as well.

post-146890-0-88647500-1471848336_thumb.jpg

Anyone else having a similar problem? I live in Bangalore, India and seeing how few distributors/retailers around the country even stock the Helix, I'm understandably very unsure of having it fixed (which would simply mean replacing that screen I assume?). From my experience with old PC LCD screens developing this issue, it's also likely that it 'spreads' - i.e. that particular screen is soon going to be covered with these vertical lines of dead pixels.

Line6 - what do you suggest?

Bruce

Hi bruceleemani,

I've got the same problem but more than 6 month after I receive the Helix, I send it back to my seller "Gear4music" that take in charge the fixing with Line6.

I've got my Helix back 2 weeks after with the defect screen replaced. Every thing working perfectly.

I snagged one off eBay that has this problem. I decided not to return it despite the eBay description not mentioning this defect because the price was good. I've been wondering what it would take to get it repaired since the warranty probably doesn't transfer.

If you can get a copy of the original purchase receipt (the receipt from when he bought it) from the seller, the warranty actually does transfer. If you don't have that, then, no, it doesn't.

Oh man, since seeing someone post about this a while ago on the forum almost every time I switch on the Helix I'm inadvertently checking the strips for such a defect. I'd say it will be ubiquitous in time, unless there was just a period in the manufacture process where a batch of components were used that had issue. I mean, anyone who has ever owned a monitor knows it's part and parcel of LCD, pixels die but usually it's after many years. Worrying this early into the life cycle, and worrying that you could potentially go through all the hassle of return\repair only to see one of the other original scribble strips soon follow suit.

DI, is this being discussed in the great tower.

Update - I checked with the local dealer here in Bangalore and he has no qualified technicians who can replace this faulty screen - and getting a replacement could apparently take 'months' (sic).

I do know a really good technician who helps maintain all my gear and I'm sure he'll be able to fix this - but that will clearly void my warranty.

Line6 - what can you do to help?