Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Don't post patches to CT that don't belong to you... alessandro69

chrisjw5

I don't post here, but I'm really active on TGP and in uploading to CustomTone. I was going to put a new one up today and I noticed ome dude - alessandro69 - is uploading his entire patch set and claiming credit for stuff that's not his. He has a ton of mine on there. How do I know, I give mine weird names. Cult of Tears, Mad Season Plexi, Dr. Z Gossard, plus my Kings of Leon, Purple Rain. He's taken others too: RA FriedmanBE100, China Girl, 80's Time Machine.

Jeez. I don't really expect Line 6 to do anything, it IS a sharing site, but if he's on here too, I'm calling him out as a thief. Taking others work and passing it off, without even changing up the names, is bullsh!t.

If comments worked on CT, I'd at least like to be able to add a note. I'm pretty proud of my download count. The last time I checked it was near 80,000 across all of my L6 devices.

People put a lot of time into these and give them away for free.... Roll your own, or give credit.

I'm tempted to upload a blank patch called "Alessandro69 Is A Thief", but I don't want to turn CT into more of a mess.

Sorry for the rant, but that hit a nerve. Perhaps I should just upload mine to my Dropbox and limit access to who gets them. I have a 4SS Jerry Cantrell ready to go, but it's not going on CT right now. 

• Upvote 3

Note to all Helix user s  please don't mess with other people"s patches on Custom Tone....The same thing happened to me with one of my patches a while back...Now that i got my Helix fixed i"m going to be uploading a few patches on custom tone should be fun...   Thanks so much to Line 6 for the excellent service on my Helix..

• Upvote 1

I'm really hoping that it's a 12 year old (with rich parents.... Helix is 'asspensive) that just doesn't get the idea of plagiarism and proper credit. If not, it's one of the dumber moves I've seen. A lot of those patches, not just mine, are pretty specific in their names.

I'm really hoping that it's a 12 year old (with rich parents.... Helix is 'asspensive) that just doesn't get the idea of plagiarism and proper credit. If not, it's one of the dumber moves I've seen. A lot of those patches, not just mine, are pretty specific in their names.

It's not about being a dumb move, it's pathetic.

What's to gain?

Nothing, but I'm trying to be charitable and give the benefit of the doubt of an age or culture barrier.

Sure, benefit of the doubt is always a good thing.

Innocent until proven guilty, right?

The age and accompanying ignorance would be the only acceptable excuse though (IMHO) . :D

A little credit in the notes would be cool. I think it's actually collaborative, flattering to the patch OP and somewhat forwarding for multiple people to tweak and potentially improve a patch. .

Just a direct copy and post is senseless unless say the name or info about it was inaccurate, offensive or just useless. Still then credit should be given.

"Sorry Bob, this is an awesome patch, but a Fender clean patch really shouldnt be named Kitty Massacre".

Consider this...what if we started a sticky thread for list of the top 20 artists/type tones needed. Then posted corresponding patches with say HUG (Helix user group) as a prefix, middle naming stayed constant, and the user handle and version sequence for a suffix when the patch was modded. It would give us a place to post feedback, put up sound clips, images, etc. too since you can't do it on Custom Tone. Maybe we could also agree on a single site, folders, and naming convention for our HUG custom IR library

• Upvote 1

"Plagiarism is not cool" (think I got that from someone else :D ) and I agree with the OP that uploading someone else's presets as your own is intellectual property theft. It would be great if CustomTone allowed uploads to be linked to the original "master" upload of a preset as revisions (1.1, 1.2, etc.). That way the person who makes the original upload retains the credit but others could easily submit improved or modified versions of the uploaded preset that started the chain without ever obscuring who made the original contribution. This would allow you to see all of the revisions as hyperlinks or whatever under the original preset.

It would also be great if CustomTone could automatically reject/remove a preset that is exactly the same as one that had already been submitted. There would eventually be a lot of presets to compare so perhaps this would need to be a comparison routine that runs in the background and removes the preset after it has been submitted rather than delaying the initial upload.

Simple fact of the matter is it's a character issue, no matter what their age it is a character issue, character is what you do when nobody's looking. There is a world full of folks out there that just don't care and want people to think they are something they are not. Sad but true...