Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Froze twice while editing..

twystedriffs

It's happened to me several times with 2.01, and only while editing with the computer editor. Don't know what causes it, but a power cycle fixes it.

The Line 6 people probably know it happens, and it's been around for quite a few firmware versions. It's also one of those things that I imagine has gotta be hard to pinpoint and reproduce. Hopefully they'll have it eradicated one of these days.

My editor will freeze up on my Mac, but what ive found is that its not the software, but Helix itself has frozen and unresponsive to commands either from the editor or from the front panel. So far, a power reboot of Helix has fixed it. Since it doesn't happen often, Im not too concerned yet... (yet)....

My editor will freeze up on my Mac, but what ive found is that its not the software, but Helix itself has frozen and unresponsive to commands either from the editor or from the front panel. So far, a power reboot of Helix has fixed it. Since it doesn't happen often, Im not too concerned yet... (yet)....

Yea. That's exactly the kind of freeze I've experienced as well, Helix itself, not the computer editor. Never actually had the computer software freeze on me, although dragging blocks around sometimes seems to cause momentary freezes.

I've had it 3 times in about 3 weeks. It doesn't seem to matter if it's connected to my Mac with the editor running or not. It also turns out that the Line 6 guys were right - for me, the editor is largely unnecessary except as a librarian. It's easier to edit almost everything from the unit, it's just a pain to put the unit on a (sturdy) music stand. You know, moving cables and whatnot.

It also turns out that the Line 6 guys were right - for me, the editor is largely unnecessary except as a librarian. 

You will have a few that agree with this statement, but I use the "hell" outta my editor. I wish they would add a tuning button so I don't have to move away from the Mac...  :P

It may not be the editor that's directly causing the freeze ups, but the USB connection that somehow gets blocked.  I know there have been several issues come up with the way USB ports are implemented on PC's that have caused problems for the Helix.  Next freeze up you might try disconnecting the USB entirely and see if that helps.

You will have a few that agree with this statement, but I use the "hell" outta my editor. I wish they would add a tuning button so I don't have to move away from the Mac...  :P

You might be surprised how many of us don't use the editor.  It takes me twice as long to do adjustments with the editor as it does directly on the Helix.  Not to mention the lag time between the action taken in the editor and it's reflection on the Helix unit itself.  I've never had a freeze up, but the Helix is only rarely and briefly ever connected to a running PC or editor.  Typically if I'm not storing presets on the PC's hard drive, the PC is turned off, so the USB connection is totally inactive.  That's why I'm thinking these freeze ups may be related to the USB.

Im not surprised. I just have another work flow process that uses the editor more. It takes me twice as long to do adjustments on Helix. As always and I say again, YMMV...  :D

The freeze up may be related to USB, but the Helix and not the Mac on my end freezes. Why are you not using the PC to store patches?

Its nice to have a way to import the patches I like when needed. My Helix does not freeze up ever storing patches, only when I move sliders in the editor.

Then, nothing on Helix seems to work except the power button.

It may not be the editor that's directly causing the freeze ups, but the USB connection that somehow gets blocked.  I know there have been several issues come up with the way USB ports are implemented on PC's that have caused problems for the Helix.  Next freeze up you might try disconnecting the USB entirely and see if that helps.

I think it is more than likely a USB related issue as well. I am probably one of the people you are talking about, as I have reported some issues with the USB. It could be driver related even. IF the driver fails, it could freeze up a unit theoretically. 

You might be surprised how many of us don't use the editor.  It takes me twice as long to do adjustments with the editor as it does directly on the Helix.  Not to mention the lag time between the action taken in the editor and it's reflection on the Helix unit itself.  I've never had a freeze up, but the Helix is only rarely and briefly ever connected to a running PC or editor.  Typically if I'm not storing presets on the PC's hard drive, the PC is turned off, so the USB connection is totally inactive.  That's why I'm thinking these freeze ups may be related to the USB.

Agreed here as well.  I basically use the Editor for a librarian.  I do ALL my editing on the unit itself. But to be fair I have the Rack version and I have it on a table angled up at me where my right hand reaches it very comfortably from my mixing chair. 

I do use the editor to set the tempo to be synced to song/project BPM instead of by milliseconds.. I just can't seem to find that option on the unit itself per preset.  On the editor its right up at the top, and easy to get to. So I just use it there since my Helix is always connected to my pc, as its my audio interface as well. That is unless someone is kind enough to guide me to where this is accessible on the unit itself.  :D

I think it is more than likely a USB related issue as well. I am probably one of the people you are talking about, as I have reported some issues with the USB. It could be driver related even. IF the driver fails, it could freeze up a unit theoretically. 

Agreed here as well.  I basically use the Editor for a librarian.  I do ALL my editing on the unit itself. But to be fair I have the Rack version and I have it on a table angled up at me where my right hand reaches it very comfortably from my mixing chair. 

I do use the editor to set the tempo to be synced to song/project BPM instead of by milliseconds.. I just can't seem to find that option on the unit itself per preset.  On the editor its right up at the top, and easy to get to. So I just use it there since my Helix is always connected to my pc, as its my audio interface as well. That is unless someone is kind enough to guide me to where this is accessible on the unit itself.  :D

Could be USB or driver related, but in the past, before the editor was released, I have experienced these lockups then as well.

For the BPM, a nice shortcut is touching the tap button. Otherwise it's in the global menu->MIDI/Tempo. There's also the option there to set the tempo select (per snapshot, per preset, or global).

Yeah, I felt sure 2.0 or 2.01 would resolve this. Griping moaning ungrateful user moment here and all but...awesome as snapshots etc are...this is something that really needs some dev focus and should have been some degree of priority. Connected to the Editor on a Mac, the freezes were just a regular (audio still processing through whatever tone was in place at time of crash, but you can't change any parameter without a reboot)

Oddly though, while I've still had one or two of these, way more common since the update is the event where connected to the Editor (which I use all the time, who in their right mind would prefer scroll wheels and wear and tearing that joystick mechanism if you can offload the process to a mouse, to each their own) is the editor program just disconnects without warning. You have to restart it (Helix is still fully operational throughout). Was working on a preset last night and this happened six times in the space of 20 minutes. It's mental. Support have gotta be able to reproduce this without much fuss. Happens on two Macs for me, so not computer specific. 

• 4 weeks later...

I updated my Helix to 2.01 & it froze while adjusting wah parameter. First noticed the pinwheel on my MacBook Pro then it froze forcing me to power down the Helix & start over. Also my USB Jack will only work with Helix now! It does not work with my iPhone or my Scarlet 2i2 audio interface. Does anyone know how to get the bank up & down buttons to function as stomp pedals?

The freeze ups that happen in no way tell just how many can do with or without an editor. That's two different topics unrelated to one another. I dislike bills but it doesn't mean I won't get them in the mail...

I've noticed that sometimes on power up, my mission pedals cause Helix to not be able to save a edited marked patch. Once I move the pedal after startup, then all is well. That got me to thinking.. Just grabbing at straws here, but I'm wondering if there is a memory/buffer leak of sorts, causing Helix to randomly freeze? Caused by small things like a mission pedal causing Helix to get data full by a percentage rocking back and forth a jillion times?