Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

the recording tone is different from the tone i heard from headphone

wuslash

i use cubase to record my tone, but the tone is different from the monitor headphone. The tone is not clear, especilly the high gain. The EQ setting has all changed. does anybody know this situation and can figure it out?  The mode is studio and line.

Well, we aren't there, so no one is going to know specifically what is going on... 

But a good first thought is - everything needs to be equal. 

Meaning, tweak your tone using the amp/cab/speaker combination that the final product is coming out of. 

*Sidenote:

I think there may be some issues when going digital to digital. I don't use USB, so I just glance over those conversations without letting them sink in. 

could be that you have the global eq turned on with custom settings?..

if yes, remember that the global eq is applied only on the standard analog outputs (headphones included), and not through the USB..

this could account for the different tone you hear between the USB tone and the analog one (1/4', XLR, headphones)

Oh, that's really a helpful one I hope I'll remember when needed!

if yes, remember that the global eq is applied only on the standard analog outputs (headphones included), and not through the USB..

this could account for the different tone you hear between the USB tone and the analog one (1/4', XLR, headphones)

is global eq on the edit?  or just on the device?

Be sure to monitor your recordings (where you plug in your headphones) from the recording device. If you plug your headphones into the 500X and then expect the recording to sound like that, it will never happen.

i plug my headphone on hd300, since i use computer to recording. i choice the hd300 as  recording device in cubase, which means if i plug the headphone on computer,it will be no sound.

i plug my headphone on hd300, since i use computer to recording. i choice the hd300 as  recording device in cubase, which means if i plug the headphone on computer,it will be no sound.

That's correct. Use your audio interface (in this case the HD300) to monitor your recordings. Your computer's audio card is not used by Cubase, either for recording or playback.

Also check if your track is mono or stereo. Sometimes mono and stereo could sound quite different.

Check that u have no plugins in the entire signal path, which includes the track u recorded onto, the mixer, and all sends/return.

Finally, how are u listening to the recorded track? U mentioned using headphones into Pod, but is that only while tracking, or also for playback? If so, u may wanna unplug your Pod for awhile and test-listen through your pc soundcard.

Make sure you are not applying any processing in Cubase (e.g. VST plug-in) while recording.

Well, we aren't there, so no one is going to know specifically what is going on... 

But a good first thought is - everything needs to be equal. 

Meaning, tweak your tone using the amp/cab/speaker combination that the final product is coming out of. 

*Sidenote:

I think there may be some issues when going digital to digital. I don't use USB, so I just glance over those conversations without letting them sink in. 

Oh, that's really a helpful one I hope I'll remember when needed!

Be sure to monitor your recordings (where you plug in your headphones) from the recording device. If you plug your headphones into the 500X and then expect the recording to sound like that, it will never happen.

That's correct. Use your audio interface (in this case the HD300) to monitor your recordings. Your computer's audio card is not used by Cubase, either for recording or playback.

Global EQ is on the Device btw. ;)

Also check if your track is mono or stereo. Sometimes mono and stereo could sound quite different.

Check that u have no plugins in the entire signal path, which includes the track u recorded onto, the mixer, and all sends/return.

Finally, how are u listening to the recorded track? U mentioned using headphones into Pod, but is that only while tracking, or also for playback? If so, u may wanna unplug your Pod for awhile and test-listen through your pc soundcard.

There's too many variations to ponder this.

If you have a splitter cable can you record from the headphone socket ?

This will check your system accuracy.

I think it was my old Tonelab that the sounds from the headphone socket were better for recording.

This is what i record. could you please listen it and find what's going wrong?  

https://youtu.be/6CvB2XruiVA

This is what i record. could you please listen it and find what's going wrong?

Well its a very scooped tone...hardly any mids at all, a very boomy low end, and a little harsh on top. It will all but disappear in a mix. A low cut filter would be a good place to start 100-120 Hz. Pulling out some highs wouldn't hurt either, then see what you've got. Once you've gotten rid of the boomy low end and some of the brittle highs, the mids should become more prominent.

Man - headphones are not going to sound like monitors, TBH even FRFR monitors will eq things to some extent. Plug the 300 into the monitors and then adjust/eq the patch prior to recording.

Aside from general eq settings, one of the reasons the fellas are telling you to drop some bass and treble is that when you get the rest of the band in the mix you will be cranking the volume to try and be heard. Between the bass and cymbals we can't win. :)

Sounds too boomy.

Some of the guys have posted about tone, read them first, like turn down the bass and the res.

On my recording usually the bass and res are zero.

Which guitar and pick up are you using ?

Epiphone standard pro, a very cheap and bad pick up, too much bass

Is it the neck pick up or bridge ?

if it's the neck  turn the pick up 180 degrees and lower it.

I did this this on my Les Paul tradiitional and it got rid of the useless boom tone

If it's the bridge try adjusting it.

Like hurghnico says if you set up your Epi OK it'll sound good through the Pod.

if the recorded tone is worse and different than the direct live tone you hear with your headphones probably means that your headphones are coloring the tone too much and can't be used as a reference for the final recorded tone..

if so, I suggest to use headphones with a flatter/more neutral response, or even better a couple of decent monitors both to build your tones and to record them..

also, your recording level is very low (the volume level also affects tone perception), I suggest to turn up the amp model channel volume to get a fair recording level

i never thought about the headphone..... yes i just used an normal sony headphone not an monitor headphone. You mean i need to turn up the amp Vol to like 70-80 perhaps?

Well its a very scooped tone...hardly any mids at all, a very boomy low end, and a little harsh on top. It will all but disappear in a mix. A low cut filter would be a good place to start 100-120 Hz. Pulling out some highs wouldn't hurt either, then see what you've got. Once you've gotten rid of the boomy low end and some of the brittle highs, the mids should become more prominent.

You said I need to cut off the low and top of the tone? by the cubase or adjust directly on the pod edit? I think I can't adjust precise on the pod edit since I have aleady use the boost, so the EQ is not available on the hd300.

'

You said I need to cut off the low and top of the tone? by the cubase or adjust directly on the pod edit? I think I can't adjust precise on the pod edit since I have aleady use the boost, so the EQ is not available on the hd300.

'

I'm not familiar with the 300...I've got the 500X, but if you're talking about a mid-boost EQ, you may as well ditch it anyway, because it ain't doing much. There are NO mids in that tone.

Get the tone as close to what you want on the POD, and record your track. Once you start adding other instruments, you'll almost always have to do some EQing in the DAW anyway...there will always be some competition between instruments where frequency ranges overlap, it's a balancing act. The way your tone sounds by itself is not necessarily what the final product will sound like in a mix. Nip,tuck,repeat...