Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Valve HD 100 mais dsp board

prosado

Hello.

My Spider Valve HD 100 suffers from the black bars of death syndrome (8 black bars display on the lcd and no sound).

I'm from Portugal and the authorized repair service told me that Yamaha (line 6 owner) told them that the problem is the dsp / main pcba board, but unfortunately they no longer have this replacement part, so the official repair service is unnable to repair the amp. That sucks big time, and is a big downside on Line 6 the costumer service.

Does anyone know where i can find a dsp/main pcba board for a Spider Valve HD100, or how can I get in touch with Line 6 parts department? 

Or can anyone tell me if this Line 6 50-02-9325-1,Main PCB with DSP for Spider Valve 112 MkII, can do the job on my Spider Valve HD100 (first generation)?? Link: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/209041-Line-6-50-02-9325-1 

Thanks in advance.

PR

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I had it looked at by a very reputable authorized repair depot and they also contacted Line 6 via email and copied me on the chain. Basically no solution. Very disappointing lack of support for what I understand to be a common problem. No replacement parts available. They did say you can try to have a service tech "re-flow" the solder on the DSP board but no one is willing to do it that I can find. I have other Line 6 gear but ths puts a bad taste in my mouth for any future purchases from Line 6. Too bad.

Rick

• Upvote 1

The MkII boards won't work in a MkI unit.

And the combo boards would not be compatible in an amp head.

Re-flowing solder around the DSP might, might help. Also re-flow around

the RAM, Flash and clock circuit.

The MkII Hd-100 is one I like better, mainly because of the Bank-4 models.

Parts for those are still available for those, so I still service those.

MkI (1st gen) are still serviceable, so long as it's not the black box problem.

• 5 months later...

<snip>

Hey my man - my intermittently working MKI HD100 just went black boxed. So........... 

Question: I did find a thread off a different post where the black box of death was fixed on a MKI. (copied the post but didn't BM the page):

"since installing the new 3.3V regulator (TPS70933DBVR), the amp is now working. Not at first though. After replacing the voltage regulator, (major PITA, btw, because of the SMT miniature size) I powered up the amp and saw... eight black boxes in the LCD as was the original condition. Darn it! I checked the 3.3V rail and saw a floating-looking 2.2 or so volts. Turns out that the solder connection on pin2 (GND) of the 3.3V regulator chip I had just replaced wasn't actually touching the solder pad of the PCB. To the eye the solder looked reasonable., with a magnifier it still looked good, but when I measured pin2 with respect to ground - no continuity. The solder was really floating ever-so-slightly above the solder pad. This surface mount stuff is just too small to reliably see, at least for me. Reheated, re-flowed, and got that pin shorted to ground like I wanted. Now all is good and the amp runs at it should."

This is Service Center material and I am looking at options for having the DSP board reflowed/component serviced. Would I 1) take it into my local service spot so they can pull the board and send it too you (if they cannot do the smt soldering themselves) or 2) Pull the board myself and send it to L6 or 3) Have the whole head shipped to the L6 mothership. or 4) I am out of my mind. :P

I don't have a lot of $ tied into it any more and its worth a gamble. The MK Is are pretty toasty in there and I can see where a improper voltage would keep it from initializing. The power amp alone is playing its rent. :D

Not with "Black Box Display". It's more involved than that. That's something that

can only be done here. We have parts and a set-up for that sort of thing.

For outside the USA, check with our service partners in your area, they can consult

with our service people here to see what options there are.

• Upvote 1

From what I have been able to dig up there more than likely a smd part that has been cooked and needs to be replaced. I have a giant box ready and as soon as the taxes are paid and funds set aside it the process of the HD100s trip to the Mothership will start. I'll post progress here when an item of note pops up.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I have been able to dig up there more than likely a smd part that has been cooked and needs to be replaced. I have a giant box ready and as soon as the taxes are paid and funds set aside it the process of the HD100s trip to the Mothership will start. I'll post progress here when an item of note pops up.

Ha quoted myself!

This is going to be a summer project as I picked up another HD100 MKI for pennies (the cab was really really rough but the SV functions perfectly - well the Master Vol pot will get replaced). Just a rebias, chassis swap and its like new.

I'll see if the Line 6 will allow the local Service Center to pull the processing board and ship that to them. Shipping one way for us mere mortals was ~$100 - ouch - so both ways begins to add up to some serious $$.

"I'll see if the Line 6 will allow the local Service Center to pull the processing board and ship that to them"---

Going through the service center and having them deal with it is an option. They can send the PCBA back for

repair, then they can re-install and do the check outs and such. It's a way to do it.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

About 2 years ago I started having intermittent problems (volume fading) with my SV MkII 112.  After reading similar reports here, I concluded that it was the DSP chip overheating.  I opened the cases on both my Mk I and Mk II amps, located the DSP, cut an old aluminum nameplate holder into 1-inch blocks, and used thermal adhesive to attach them as heat sinks.  I have had no problems since, and I gig almost every weekend.  Hope this helps some others!

• 10 months later...

I have one of the original Spider Valve 112 with Bogner and I am having the problem with no sound and the black box read out on it. Can it be fixed ? I took it to a shop and they told me they couldn't get the part {35-00-0250 DSP board } Can Line 6 fix it if I send the board to them ? I would hate to pitch it, it's a great little amp with a big sound that most choose to play through when they come to my studio. 

Register the amp in your account, then log a Support Ticket,

they will let you know what your options are.

If they have you send it in, it should be put into an "anti-static bag" for electronics, 

then shipped as recommended by the support person before sending it in.

I have one of the original Spider Valve 112 with Bogner and I am having the problem with no sound and the black box read out on it. Can it be fixed ? I took it to a shop and they told me they couldn't get the part {35-00-0250 DSP board } Can Line 6 fix it if I send the board to them ? I would hate to pitch it, it's a great little amp with a big sound that most choose to play through when they come to my studio.  Thanks ,will do.

Would have to be evaluated by our tech here. He has a set-up for doing circuit boards on that level.

Black box display is one of his specialties. If it can be fixed, he can do it.

There no more replacement boards for that.

As per my prior post, register the amp in your account, then log a Support Ticket, they will let you know what your options are.

• 4 months later...

Boas. Eu sei que este post tem 3 anos, mas conseguiu resolver o problema? Eu a fazer upload do firmware do meu HD100 deu erro a meio, e o amp Deus brick...mandei a um técnico e ele diz que é preciso uma placa nova. Houve algum resultado consigo?

• 3 years later...

The same thing is happening in all the equipment in the long term. Line 6 does not have responses to the consumer or spare parts or technical service. The digital amplifiers stop working after 5 or 8 years. A disappointment for Line 6. I am going to switch to the more expensive analog one, but repairable. a disappointment spider valve hd 100 changed all the valves and then it broke for the digital board. there are no spare parts there is no technical service nor do they answer on line 6. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 4:20 AM, yellowfin said:

Guess I'll just throw mine in the trash.  Looks like a dead end.  

The problem is the DSP in all the equipment. It is a pity that it cannot be repaired or that there are no spare parts on the market. Line 6 disappointed me with their digital devices.

• 8 months later...
On 10/20/2016 at 4:04 PM, psarkissian said:

The MkII boards won't work in a MkI unit.

And the combo boards would not be compatible in an amp head.

Re-flowing solder around the DSP might, might help. Also re-flow around

the RAM, Flash and clock circuit.

The MkII Hd-100 is one I like better, mainly because of the Bank-4 models.

Parts for those are still available for those, so I still service those.

Do you still have parts for the mkii? I bricked my head due to a failed firmware update