Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just for fun: What do you think is coming in the next update?

Bangha

Variax workbench integration

New press-the-same-snapshot-twice feature doing ...something

New versions of pitch shifting algos, hopefully one to stay

One or two new FX models - I'd guess a filter and a modulation

• Upvote 1

I doubt you'd ever see a Strymon Timeline, there's just so many parameters and delay types in that thing that building a block to mimic it would be a beyond massive undertaking. Now an El Capitan, that's a different matter.

I know this seems like an odd request, and it will absolutely not be in the next release if ever as no doubt it's low on the scale, but I would love a text note page. I play in two covers bands and remembering all those chords and parts and changes we make to structures is a struggle. So I have a sort of short hand version of certain songs I bring on stage in a paper notebook. Hard to see though with bad light and when not easily placed, and when we change order of tracks I'm fumbling in between songs to prep the page. I'd love if per Preset you could write some notes (undoubtedly with the editor) then if needs be call that up as a separate page. God knows that I rarely if ever look at the screen\device chain when playing a song as at that point the scribble strips are my go to so would be a much better use of the real estate for me.

I doubt you'd ever see a Strymon Timeline, there's just so many parameters and delay types in that thing that building a block to mimic it would be a beyond massive undertaking. Now an El Capitan, that's a different matter.

I know this seems like an odd request, and it will absolutely not be in the next release if ever as no doubt it's low on the scale, but I would love a text note page. I play in two covers bands and remembering all those chords and parts and changes we make to structures is a struggle. So I have a sort of short hand version of certain songs I bring on stage in a paper notebook. Hard to see though with bad light and when not easily placed, and when we change order of tracks I'm fumbling in between songs to prep the page. I'd love if per Preset you could write some notes (undoubtedly with the editor) then if needs be call that up as a separate page. God knows that I rarely if ever look at the screen\device chain when playing a song as at that point the scribble strips are my go to so would be a much better use of the real estate for me.

My friend, even if the Helix could do your request, it wouldn't be able to do it efficiently, and you still be able to see your signal chain at the same time.

However I think I know of a few things that could help you.  You can get a cheap tablet. (check amazon.com, or monoprice.com) it doesn't have to be a fancy Ipad. Load you up an auto-scrolling text app, that you can control the speed of the rolling text, (or pages).  You can buy an inexpensive microphone stand, and a tablet holder for a mic stand. (IK Multimedia makes one) 

This is what I do for lyrics when I record vocals in my studio, as I keep it dark enough to where text just isn't readable from paper. (I like ambient lighting for moods you know) its probably not all that different than being on a stage as far as that aspect goes.  The tablet I can set size of text, and brightness, and it can auto-scroll so no hands needed, and its all literally right under the mic.  The things are getting much cheaper these days.  Hell, if you have a smart phone it could probably work too, although I would go with tablet simply cause of the larger screen size. 

Edit, hell I doubt you would even need a mic stand. Something that you can set on the floor and it angles up at you so you can see it easy, and set it right beside your Helix floor controller, or Helix floor processor. 

Hopefully not just more amp models or effects but changes that improve the general workflow and usability of the HELIX. 

Something to manage widely differing output levels between patches obtained from all over the place, something to help explore effects better like the ability to save and load presets for ANY effect , amp or cabinet model. 

Also presets for global EQ would be extremely useful.  Going from PA to guitar cabinets to studio monitors  changes the way patches sound and presets for this would ease the use of presets for all these situations. 

... and Variax workbench integration

Many say that much better reverb effects are needed too. But i'd rather like to see non-effect or model specific changes as above take place first. 

• Upvote 1

Based on what I hear commented about on here and other boards my guess would be:

Some additional or possibly re-tooled reverbs.

Some type of IR management system worked into the Helix Editor.

Possibly some metering facility for measuring output signal strength.

I would expect maybe of few additional amps and effects, but they've got most of the big bases kind of covered so I'm not sure what amps they might choose.  I wouldn't mind seeing something like a LabSeries L5 for BB King type tones, possibly a Dumble, maybe a Two Rock.  I can't think of many others that might be worthy additions other than some of the more arcane Fender models like the Showman.

Helix needs

Reverbs.

today I watched a demo of Keeley Hooke spring reverb great! That is a spring reverb simulation!

At least one more phaser

there is only one phaser.

But I hope not the small stone.

I hope mutron phasor II

Improvement of electric mistress block.

No hope for fuzzes and Leslies.

Polyphonic pitch shifting for drop tuning would be great.

I would also love something like the EHX freeze.

Models of the Pete Cornish SS3 and G2 would also be wonderful.

Tremolo with ability to scroll up and down subdivisions with foot switches.

A couple of solid acoustic simulations.

Sitar/banjo emulations, although I'm sure they rather I purchase JTV ( which I just might)

• Upvote 1

Also presets for global EQ would be extremely useful.  Going from PA to guitar cabinets to studio monitors  changes the way patches sound and presets for this would ease the use of presets for all these situations. 

Yes please and thank you.

• Upvote 2

Hopefully not just more amp models or effects but changes that improve the general workflow and usability of the HELIX.

Something to manage widely differing output levels between patches obtained from all over the place, something to help explore effects better like the ability to save and load presets for ANY effect , amp or cabinet model.

Also presets for global EQ would be extremely useful. Going from PA to guitar cabinets to studio monitors changes the way patches sound and presets for this would ease the use of presets for all these situations.

Many say that much better reverb effects are needed too. But i'd rather like to see non-effect or model specific changes as above take place first.

Yes indeed!!

My friend, even if the Helix could do your request, it wouldn't be able to do it efficiently, and you still be able to see your signal chain at the same time.

Thank you for taking the time to offer the tablet suggestion. It has crossed my mind, and may be the solution, but there's still a separation between tracks and whats on the screen. There is never a separation between the preset I call up and the track we are playing, so tethering a notes page to that would be a single solution.

And to your point above, I agree entirely. My suggestion was not to have it included in the blocks\chain page as no way that wouldn't be a cluster. I more meant, just as when you click the 'Preset' button the chain disappears and is replaced by one formatted for list, the notes page would take over the whole display and just be a limited character notepad.

Variax Work Bench and Firmware updates are key for full functionality. I don't have the DT amps, but think they should also implement their L6 Link for those loyal users.

Dave

Still hoping that the Variax workbench interface will be needless soon - so that Variaxes can be used with Workbench HD directly...

• Upvote 1

Variax Work Bench and Firmware updates are key for full functionality. I don't have the DT amps, but think they should also implement their L6 Link for those loyal users.

Dave

Still hoping that the Variax workbench interface will be needless soon - so that Variaxes can be used with Workbench HD directly...

Real* DT Amp integration that works seamlessly with L6 would be my top pick - even if the amps modeled when connected to a DT amp would be limited in number.

*(ie where no work-around or under the hood setup is required)

Thank you for taking the time to offer the tablet suggestion. It has crossed my mind, and may be the solution, but there's still a separation between tracks and whats on the screen. There is never a separation between the preset I call up and the track we are playing, so tethering a notes page to that would be a single solution.

And to your point above, I agree entirely. My suggestion was not to have it included in the blocks\chain page as no way that wouldn't be a cluster. I more meant, just as when you click the 'Preset' button the chain disappears and is replaced by one formatted for list, the notes page would take over the whole display and just be a limited character notepad.

Oh not a problem, I like to offer advice when it helps lol. ;)

Yeah, I see what you mean about the separation. Perhaps, a midi foot controller plugged into the tablet to change pages would be an alternative.  This way you could manually sync the tablet, and Helix each song. However, this would be a cluster if you change your track listings up often during shows from one night to the next.

I am not opposed to your idea, as an option, and as long as it is out of the way, and something we don't have to go through (or purposefully go around) during normal Helix uses. 

• 4 weeks later...

I got my Helix specifically to use in a Pink Floyd tribute band (www.thefloydeffect.com). So I would love to see a Fuzz Face and Big Muff that actually sound like Gilmour if that is possible.

Oh and to have the Tap Tempo work with the delays in both time based and sync options.

Other than that I think the Helix is pretty perfect.

Oh and to have the Tap Tempo work with the delays in both time based and sync options.

You can actually have delays be set to a certain tempo now and still have them change with the tap tempo. You just have to do it in kind a reverse way. Rather than set a specific millisecond value, just set the preset BPM to whatever it needs to be and save the preset. That way your delay time will be what you set it at when you called up the preset, and change when you tap in a new tempo.

Whatever awaits in the next updates, Line 6's Helix (& Editor) related release intervals have not seemed to be much longer than about every 2 months, or so. As Fall begins tomorrow, and the last release was late July, hopefully there's something to be released soon. It may just prompt me to buy in....