Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just for fun: What do you think is coming in the next update?

Bangha

I say the opposite dont know what you are doing wrong with IR since they sound way better than stock cabs which sound harsh and digital and very sterile as soon as i load my favourtite IR Helix comes to life. To my ears there are very few good sound you can get out of stock cabs.

I like the stock cabs, and I also like using IR's. I have heard excellent examples of both, from a wide variety of sources! If you take the time to work with the stock cabs, dialing in good settings on them, they can easily hold their own - and even surpass - any IR out there. The one *really* cool thing you can do with IR's that you cannot do with stock cabs, is change them using Snapshots. I must say, that is a cool feature.. You assign the numeric choice of IR to be controlled by Snapshots, and then you can change the IR cab with every Snapshot; all kinds of cool stuff there.

Anyway, as for a "few good sounds" to be found from using stock cabs + IR's, definitely check out the newest stuff Glenn DeLaune is doing, overlaying IR's on top of stock cabs! Way cool stuff. These links below are all using stock cabs PLUS adding Glenn's special sauce IR process. The stock Helix cab is the core of the cab sound, and the IR modifies and overlays on top of, but does not replace the stock cab:

... The one *really* cool thing you can do with IR's that you cannot do with stock cabs, is change them using Snapshots. I must say, that is a cool feature.. You assign the numeric choice of IR to be controlled by Snapshots, and then you can change the IR cab with every Snapshot; all kinds of cool stuff there.

While you can't change cabs using snapshots with the built-in cabs, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to change any or all of the built-in cab parameters with snapshots such as what mic/distance, hi/lo cuts, etc.  Those would just be treated like any other block parameter that can be changed with snapshots, just like the IR slot with IRs.

While you can't change cabs using snapshots with the built-in cabs, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to change any or all of the built-in cab parameters with snapshots such as what mic/distance, hi/lo cuts, etc. Those would just be treated like any other block parameter that can be changed with snapshots, just like the IR slot with IRs.

Yes, Exactly! You said it perfectly. I think ultimately you have more options and control with the stock Helix cabs, just have to spend more effort working the settings. To me, any givem set of stock cab and mic choice and settings basically equals any one IR. They both sound great; sometimes I just pop in a few IR's to play with ideas, knowing they are plug and play; as opposed to sculpting and dialing in comparable tones using the stock cabs.

I for one am really stoked to check out Glenn's new patches where he overlays custom tone print style IR files with stock HX cabs.

Well said. Can't add much to that. The reason I play guitar is because of what a guitar is and sounds like. Experiment all you want but if you want to make music that sounds like a synth rather than a guitar, then play a synth.

A tremolo picked guitar with reverb and delay sounds a lot like a string synth, but is so much more dynamic from a playing perspective than a keyboard.

I love vintage tones, but vintage riffs aren't for me. Which is fine. I'm not claiming superiority. For all I know, I'll be playing 2001 sounds in 2040.

Sooo, is there any real clue as to when we might see another update for the Helix????

Can't be 100 percent sure but DI said they were aiming for "tail end of October". So maybe we'll see a little something in the end of October/ beginning of November. But only time will tell. I rather they take their time and bring something awesome to the table, just like they did with 2.0.:)

If I had my druthers I would prefer to see more frequent small interim releases with less features (bugfixes, new amps/cabs and effects, etc.) and a periodic large release (e.g. snapshots) with major new features. What concerns me about spacing releases out too far and lumping everything into them at once is that it means waiting months for bug fixes. It is difficult to do a major release that does not introduce some kind of bug(s) and it is a shame to see them take months to get resolved. However, too many interim releases can also cause bugs and they require additional regression testing and Line6 resources. There is also the issue that every time there is an update there are a certain percentage of users who have difficulty with the update process. Users also don't want changes that cause them to frequently have to modify their presets. It is a fine line for Line6 to walk. Anyway, my preferences regarding this have pretty much zero impact so I will just be happy dancing to the piper's tune and looking forward to what comes out next.

If I had my druthers I would prefer to see more frequent small interim releases with less features (bugfixes, new amps/cabs and effects, etc.) and a periodic large release (e.g. snapshots) with major new features. What concerns me about spacing releases out too far and lumping everything into them at once is that it means waiting months for bug fixes. It is difficult to do a major release that does not introduce some kind of bug(s) and it is a shame to see them take months to get resolved. However, too many interim releases can also cause bugs and they require additional regression testing and Line6 resources. There is also the issue that every time there is an update there are a certain percentage of users who have difficulty with the update process. Users also don't want changes that cause them to frequently have to modify their presets. It is a fine line for Line6 to walk. Anyway, my preferences regarding this have pretty much zero impact so I will just be happy dancing to the piper's tune and looking forward to what comes out next.

I think that those kind of updates should be divede into two categories a content and features and b bug fixes.

Not that a) can't contain a bit of b, but if something really needs a bug fix it needs to come fast. But that's what I felt they did with with 2.1. It came quickly after 2.0. The same with 1.6.5 (? I think) it came quickly after the 1.6.

Another thing is I think that three or four months are quick enough for content related updates. Others want one every month, but in the end Line 6 will choose their strategy, and I'll be content (see what I did there) with the updates – as long as they have what I personally want ;) JK

I say the opposite dont know what you are doing wrong with IR since they sound way better than stock cabs which sound harsh and digital and very sterile as soon as i load my favourtite IR Helix comes to life and all my friends say the same even drummers keyboard players etc etc.

And that goes for most of the videos where they use stock cabs aswell as soon as the user then is using IR it sounds way better to my and many many others ears aswell.

Its so funny that almost everyone praise fremens presets and he is not using any stock cabs at all and since he is consider to be a master tweaker why cant he dial in presets with stock cabs then?.

Even his free presets is using IR

To my ears there are very few good sound you can get out of stock cabs.

I could dial presets with the onboard cabs if I wanted too... I even uploaded a video where I'm comparing one of my IRs and the stock cabs, but it's on Facebook only :

https://www.facebook.com/fremen.mu/videos/vb.707502244/10153554081432245/

In short, I wasn't very impressed by the stock cabs. It's like they don't have the same "definition", and they sound more boxy too. Instead I used IRs custom personal that I already knew for specific type of sounds, but which I tweaked to make them fatter as the Helix was thinner sounding than other platforms I used these IRs with. I always feel limited with stock cabs, whatever the platform, because they always represent what an engineer think, say, a 4x12 with V30 should sound like. We each have different ideas about that. And unlike with an amp model, you can change them much. Yes I've tried different microphones, positions, distances etc but I'm still not impressed. For that reason I would never buy/use a guitar processor which doesn't feature the ability to load third party IRs

• 1 month later...

I thought I was getting a pretty good tone using the stock hybrid cabs in particular some of the 4x12s with the 4028 Coles Ribbon which I like for its more warmer less harsh rendering.

Everything was going along, I tried about a hundred free IRs and just did not care for them.

After trying some of Jim Roseberry's IRs (here on site) and buying some Ownhammer IRs for the Ribbon mics, the difference was pretty amazing.

Of the 128 I now have loaded from Roseberry and Ownhammer none are bad, they are all good just a matter of minute changes in tone. Getting some better IRs made me keep the Helix, matters now where they go with the next update.

Regarding IRs while I know many tend to love the 57 stuff, I really do not like that mic, for one thing it is a vocal engineered mic with a mid range bump right where I find the sound to be thin and high ended mid rangy. I much prefer the larger condenser mics like the CV4 and the Ownhammer Ribbon mics. Nice to be able to move the mic across the speaker surface and distance away using the series of IRs. Makes all the difference in the world for me. Ownhammer was only $15 and Roseberry gave a bunch of his out for free to beta them. Great stuff. I can get a decent sound using the internal cabs but the wrong mic and they sound terrible. 

ummm, bump from another post....just say'n...add the option to assign the aux in or effects loop output to headphones monitor out only. This would allow for personal monitoring without sending aviom mix back to house from helix. Why?....It would give allow a guitar mix in stereo for a fuller overall mix. Super serial can accomplish this but I'm a little lite on DSP with my ambient blocks and Ir's.  :) 

I agree I should have put it there a few months ago. I even called L6 about it and had a great conversation about the serial approach. The Kemper boys got this feature in September 4.2.012 release: separate controls for Aux In into headphone output, monitor output, and main out.

This makes complete sense and I think we will see it in Helix very soon. ;)

I quietly spoke about programming my boss exp pedals backwards and then boom! I think DI added the inversion feature just for me :D    

The Miku Hatsune pedal, obviously :lol:

But seriously, the one thing I'd really, really like to see is a gain reduction meter for the comps, and possibly the gates. Using your ear to get a comp dialed in is definitely the right way to go, but knowing exactly how much is being shaved off with each hit would be really nice. With the gates it could be useful because it'd be a good visual representation of exactly when and how fast the gate is acting, as it can sometimes be a little hard to tell where the "sweet spot" is with very high gain tones.

All I want is a TZF, a Reverse reverb, and a glitch delay like the CSIDMAN.  Then i can dump the rest of my stand alone pedals off my board (beyond maybe the pitchfactor, but i don't see L6 ever doing shifting as good as eventide).  FM4 models and the such would be awesome.

Well, since we're all guessing, here's what I'm thinking for a .1 update ...

1. reintroduction of the pitch shift algorithm that was pulled from 2.0 resulting in 2.01 - now fixed
  2. fix for the wah pedal snapshot thing
  3. a new amp, maybe two - can't fathom to guess what those might be
  4. other miscellaneous bug fixes that I probably haven't noticed or experienced :)

What I'd LOVE to see but doubt it since these sound like major update stuff:

1. the IR management stuff that I now can't seem to find on ideascale
  2. more IR space - just give us like a thousand and be done :)
  3. some kind of really cool realistic feedbacker effect

Sure! :)

It was actually because Yamaha expression pedals are inverted from ours and Mission's.

Dang, thought I was special,..lol.

Just the fact that U answered me directly awesome! Now, I really need that aviom routing for this weekend! Pleeeeezee!

The Miku Hatsune pedal, obviously :lol:

But seriously, the one thing I'd really, really like to see is a gain reduction meter for the comps, and possibly the gates. Using your ear to get a comp dialed in is definitely the right way to go, but knowing exactly how much is being shaved off with each hit would be really nice. With the gates it could be useful because it'd be a good visual representation of exactly when and how fast the gate is acting, as it can sometimes be a little hard to tell where the "sweet spot" is with very high gain tones.

Still, Im not sure "visual confirmation" is necessary in your case. You should be able to do all of that with your ears pretty easily.

I agree with the need for GR meters. They are essential actually, but more because there are times when the compressor should trigger subtly or be completely transparent.  I may only want the compressor to fire in the choruses or even 2 or 3 times thru - out the song. I may want it on the entire time but not be heard. Both of which are impossible to do without metering.

• 1 month later...

As the title says, what do you guys think is up next?

I'd imagine a Dumble model

Touch enabled wah/expression

King of Tone model

Helix replying to my work emails while I'm busy playing

What's your best guess?

Was just revisiting this thread I started back in August and props to Line 6 they've really been delivering!

I haven't read the whole thread but can't you just use that? I'm guessing you're thinking it would be integrated into the Helix itself but I'm going to guess the processing power required wouldn't allow you to do a whole lot more in the Helix. And it's on sale!

I haven't read the whole thread but can't you just use that? I'm guessing you're thinking it would be integrated into the Helix itself but I'm going to guess the processing power required wouldn't allow you to do a whole lot more in the Helix. And it's on sale!

Actually yes you can. It installs as either a vst or AU type of plugin, so all you gotta do is record Helix (or Axe FX or Kemper) and the add Cab-Lab as an effect. Then just load up a few IR's and mix and match as you like. I tried a few OwnHammer IR's and it loaded ok. The last Cab-Lab I used I only loaded the Fractal based (Axe FX II) IR's and it was not a VST or AU plugin yet. So yea thanks for getting me to re try this as it opens up a whole new Mix and Match of IR's !!!

Actually yes you can. It installs as either a vst or AU type of plugin, so all you gotta do is record Helix (or Axe FX or Kemper) and the add Cab-Lab as an effect. Then just load up a few IR's and mix and match as you like. I tried a few OwnHammer IR's and it loaded ok. The last Cab-Lab I used I only loaded the Fractal based (Axe FX II) IR's and it was not a VST or AU plugin yet. So yea thanks for getting me to re try this as it opens up a whole new Mix and Match of IR's !!!

How many IRs can you mix at a time spikey? MixIR will do 6......and have you tried the standalone version of Cab-Lab yet?

This is really what Helix needs. A tool for the ultimate in cab control.

How many IRs can you mix at a time spikey? MixIR will do 6......and have you tried the standalone version of Cab-Lab yet?

This is really what Helix needs. A tool for the ultimate in cab control.

On the VST plugin inside of Cubase 9 I am seeing 8 slots available, with a volume slider, mute and a solo button per each slot. On the AU/VST CabLab plugins I did a quick test adding OwnHammer cabs to a softsynth and it worked well. So this looks like it will work with Helix if you record inside a host that uses VST and AU type plugins. But the stand alone version requires a connect with the Axe FX or AX8 the way it looks. You can load up your IR's into the stand alone version of CabLab 3, but I don't see a way to have Helix then use/connect with the mixed IR's. Looks like It needs to be a Fractal unit to do this, which makes sense because CabLab is a Fractal product.

• Upvote 1

On the VST plugin inside of Cubase 9 I am seeing 8 slots available, with a volume slider, mute and a solo button per each slot. On the AU/VST CabLab plugins I did a quick test adding OwnHammer cabs to a softsynth and it worked well. So this looks like it will work with Helix if you record inside a host that uses VST and AU type plugins. But the stand alone version requires a connect with the Axe FX or AX8 the way it looks. You can load up your IR's into the stand alone version of CabLab 3, but I don't see a way to have Helix then use/connect with the mixed IR's. Looks like It needs to be a Fractal unit to do this, which makes sense because CabLab is a Fractal product.

Hey Spikey, can you export WAV files from Cab Lab 3?

I think thats the thing right there. Im pretty sure it only does sysx files.

Okay thanks.  I see you can import wav to sysex, but not export sysex to wav.  Makes sense.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/cab-lab/Cab-Lab-3-Manual.pdf

I've heard some good things about the ML Audio IR's, but cannot find them in wav format, just Fractal cab packs.

Oh well, I'm about IR'd out for now anyway.