Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshot + IR = Down The Rabbit Hole

ColonelForbin

Ha, I just put one of my lo-fi telephone mic guitar cab IRs in a snapshot. It going to make for a really cool song break or intro.

I was using it in a different preset, but gave it up after snapshots. Now its back in play!

Thanks for the tip CF!!!

Doesn't have to be a snapshot I think, can be any controller, so footswitches can do the same. (IR select pedal, anyone?!? Haven't tried it, but I doubt very much they'd load fast enough to be useful.)

For the internal cabs, you can also control which mic is used the same ways.

All very cool.

Doesn't have to be a snapshot I think, can be any controller, so footswitches can do the same. (IR select pedal, anyone?!? Haven't tried it, but I doubt very much they'd load fast enough to be useful.)

For the internal cabs, you can also control which mic is used the same ways.

All very cool.

I need to do some more critical recording/listening to be sure, but it *seems* they switch instantly and seemlessly. There is no discernable audio dropout.

It's worth noting it appears you can only control one parameter of the IR using snapshots; though I may be wrong. I tried to set both the IR select and the IR volume, seems to be a one or the other kind of thing. Which does limit your combinations of IR's to a certain extent; they would need to be within the same realm of volume and low / hi cut.

EDIT: I WAS WRONG! YAY!!! :)

That was getting me stuck, since each IR might need slight tweaks from others to get it sitting just right.

I can see how changing up the mic setting on the L6cabs would in essence give you a similar experience to changing IR's. Though using the IR select, you can use four snapshots to change between four totally different cabinet, speaker and mic combinations, which can be quite useful for setting up a patch with a clean amp sound plus three crunch/gain/lead type sounds on snapshots.

I am working today; caffeinated and distracted by thoughts of IR's and snapshots! 

Cheers ya'all!

Yeah, I put 2 and 2 together on this a while back when I had 4 identical presets with the only difference being the pair of IRs I used on a split path after the amp resulting in 4 very different tone characters that were all great but mostly identical but separate presets. I've now consolidated into one preset and switch between them using snapshots.

Regarding the slot numbers - that is really what enables this - it's just another parameter that can be changed by a controller. I never tried to change the hi/lo cuts on them though, so I'm kind of surprised that doesn't work - I would think that would be just another parameter that could be changed, too, but I didn't have the need to try it.

Note that as this relates to the recent discussion on IR management and possibly mapping slot number to an IR name instead, this IR switching functionality/feature of with snapshots does not need to be removed if referenced by name instead. So that discussion of a possible future IR specification change does not have to impact the ability to do this.

Just wanted to call that out and clarify since I think referencing by name in the patch and have the Helix internals go find the slot number that IR is in, it still all resolves to a slot number and should be switchable by a controller just the same. And still enable all the benefits of referencing IR's by name instead of slot number.

Still a very cool feature / capability involving snapshots. And like someone else said, it was doable before as a binary option of using a single controller footswitch where you could using the pre-2.0 release to switch between two IRs in the same way. But snapshots expand on that capability quite a bit.

• Upvote 1

Note that as this relates to the recent discussion on IR management and possibly mapping slot number to an IR name instead, this IR switching functionality/feature of with snapshots does not need to be removed if referenced by name instead. So that discussion of a possible future IR specification change does not have to impact the ability to do this.

Just wanted to call that out and clarify since I think referencing by name in the patch and have the Helix internals go find the slot number that IR is in, it still all resolves to a slot number and should be switchable by a controller just the same. And still enable all the benefits of referencing IR's by name instead of slot number.

I brought up this very thing in that IR Management thread a couple of days ago, having just discovered this functionality myself at that time. If going to a file-name-reference instead of slot-reference sacrificed the ability to switch them like this, then it makes me completely re-think my position on that matter. Hopefully there is a way to satisfy both demands, but for me, if I had to choose, I'd rather deal with the slot-reference headache in order to keep the IR switching. Totally worth it.

I brought up this very thing in that IR Management thread a couple of days ago, having just discovered this functionality myself at that time. If going to a file-name-reference instead of slot-reference sacrificed the ability to switch them like this, then it makes me completely re-think my position on that matter. Hopefully there is a way to satisfy both demands, but for me, if I had to choose, I'd rather deal with the slot-reference headache in order to keep the IR switching. Totally worth it.

As a professional software developer with 35+ years of experience including firmware and control systems that parallel this kind of product, I don't see the proposed IR management proposal being incompatible with this feature at all.  I could go into details, but it'd be a lot of geek-speak. :)

• Upvote 1

SWEET! Very glad to hear that; I was hoping it was just user error on my part. I had been at it for about 10 hours at that point and was crosseyed and helix :)

thanks!

Colonel,

I going down the rabbit hole.  Hope there is tea when I get to the bottom.  More to come

Dennis

Colonel,

I going down the rabbit hole.  Hope there is tea when I get to the bottom.  More to come

Dennis

Right on! Yeah, some really cool possibilities there. Spiraling into infinity, like a - what's that thing called? Oh yeah! A Helix.... :)

Tea is served at noon! 

down_the_rabbit_hole_by_jenna_rose.jpg

This is another reason I love this forum... it gives me so many ideas to work with. I recently found out since I have a Variax now that I can change guitar models per/snapshot as well so I can be playing through a marshall with a Les Paul hit the snapshot button and be playing a strat through a Fender Twin.. also figured out recently I could use my expression pedal to control the volume on the output selector thus being able to remove the volume pedal blocks and save DSP for other things. It's near Limitless....