Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Settings for using Jazz Chorus amp

dannepop

I´m using a Jazz Chorus 120 in rehearsals.

Can´t figure out what settings to use!

Not even if to choose line or instrument out.

Anyone with experience with this?

I´m thinking of buying a SoundSource FRFR from line 6.

What would be the right choice just using my Helix with it?

D

I use the Jazz Chorus (Jazz Rivet) quite often on various styles of songs..mostly Steely Dan type jazz/rock and some BB King blues stuff.  Most often it's with my Gretsch Silver Falcon.  My most common setup has drive and bass in the mid 3's, and Mid and Bass right around the halfway point.  I use the standard 2x12 Jazz Rivet cabinet with a 212 condenser mic at about 4".  Bear in mind the Gretsch is a hollow body so you may need to make some adjustments as it has a pretty full bodied sound relative to a solid body.

I can't help you with the SoundSource though...never had any experience with it.

I´m using a Jazz Chours 120 in rehearsals.

Can´t figure out what settings to use!

Not even if to choose line or instrument out.

Anyone with experience with this?

I´m thinking of buying a SoundSource FRFR from line 6.

What would be the right choice just using my Helix with it?

D

The front of the amp is expecting an instrument level signal. If you're going into the FX return (which is generally the better option for numerous reasons, imho), then you'd want line level.

Thanks! I´ll try the FX return!

Are you using a Jazz chorus as well?

D

No, I'm using an L2T...no complaints.

But using the FX return (on any amp) frees you from worrying about where the amp's tone controls are set, because you're bypassing them...dimed out, or at zero makes no difference. The tone is coming from Helix, and you're only using the amp for power. In my experience, you get far better results this way. Why spend all that time tweaking your patches, only to have it all unraveled by another amp's tone controls?

Concerning which Stagesource speaker to buy, it depends on your personal needs and intended practical use.  Do you want to play both electric and acoustic guitar? - Get either but with the on-board mixer option.  Is it for live play and going to be moved around a lot and just for replacing the need for an amp? - save some money and get the L2 cause it's much lighter and sounds awesome for that purpose.  Are you mainly going to be home/studio playing, you have the space, and it won't be moved that often? - get an L3 (preferably 2 of them cause the stereo using the L6 LINK system is unbelievable).  Both speakers are very well designed and compacted.  Not bad at all for moving around really - especially if you get one of their cases w/rollers and handle.   The L3 is just taller and heavier.  The extra speaker in the L3 cab makes it a better choice for things other than just guitar playing such as music playback or using with special effects like a Roland GR-55 guitar synth.

Concerning which Stagesource speaker to buy, it depends on your personal needs and intended practical use.  Do you want to play both electric and acoustic guitar? - Get either but with the on-board mixer option.  Is it for live play and going to be moved around a lot and just for replacing the need for an amp? - save some money and get the L2 cause it's much lighter and sounds awesome for that purpose.  Are you mainly going to be home/studio playing, you have the space, and it won't be moved that often? - get an L3 (preferably 2 of them cause the stereo using the L6 LINK system is unbelievable).  Both speakers are very well designed and compacted.  Not bad at all for moving around really - especially if you get one of their cases w/rollers and handle.   The L3 is just taller and heavier.  The extra speaker in the L3 cab makes it a better choice for things other than just guitar playing such as music playback or using with special effects like a Roland GR-55 guitar synth.

Agree with this, I have both the L2s and L3s and if I were looking just for Helix monitoring the only way I would consider getting the L3 instead of the L2 is if I had a distinct preference for a much bigger sound for my on stage monitoring, or if as JLondon stated you have no intention of moving it around. For me, the only justification for the additional height, weight, and bulk of the L3 on stage is if you want them as an option to use as mains in the PA or you want it to double as a single main/monitor for a singer songwriter type gig (the L2 also works just fine for these purposes for small to small-medium venues). The L2 is just much more portable, less top-heavy (the L3 is a tall thin speaker), the L2s take up less space on the floor, and are easier to haul in and out, particularly if you are going to use two of them for stereo monitoring of your Helix.  With that said, ultimately it a preference thing, L6 does make great rolling speaker bags, and either the L2 or L3 will do the trick, the L3 definitely has a meatier fuller sound but I find the L2 more than adequate as a monitor for the Helix or even lighter duty mains and they are much more compact, lighter, and easier to manage.