Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can you still do pinch hamonics with the Variax?

I've also found that with the Variax's, it depends alot on where up or down a string you do them. I remember on my old Varaix 500, If I pinched over where the edge of the pickguard was, I was a lot more successful. So experiment with different positions up and down the string,

Pinch harmonics honestly has nothing to really do with anything other than technique of knowing where the divisions are on the string to make a harmonic ring.

In order to do pinch harmonics well, you must have a general concept of what you're even doing in the first place.

Basically a pinch harmonic is a division of the normal note that would play if you didn't pinch the string. Your thumb hits the string on a hot spot which is divisible on the string. If you did a pinch harmonic at the 12th fret on an open string, it would play the same note as the 12th fret even though you didn't fret down on it, because it's an octave higher, or 1/2 the string length.

The only factor you can really say about magnetic vs piezo, is that the magnetic pickups might be a bit more audible in pinch harmonics because of where the pickups sit, but ultimately you can still do pinch harmonics fine on the Variax.

• Upvote 1