Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.0 Bricked Guitar Update From Chuckewheat

Just heard from PSarkissian at Line 6 and it was a faulty interface box that fried my guitar.

I have no further comments or opinions

They have replaced the box and cables

Line 6 Support was most OUTSTANDING and I thank them here again.

The trouble is you have no way of knowing if you have a bad box until it's too late if you are doing upgrades

There doesn't seem to be any risk if used for Workbench  

Signing out here...Chuckewheat

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the update Chuckle.

My JTV is in Australia so it's good to know what the cause of your bricking was. That being said, I will be a little nervous when I do go to do the update (athough I've used the interface before and it was fine, so I don't expect any problems).

Chucklewheat,

Glad you are up and running. I had a similar issue with the first two JTV 59's. I got them at Guitar Center. The first unit shipped with two interfaces. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong one and it got bricked. The second one failed as well. It alao came with two interfaces. So, after returning two Cherrybursts, I now have a functioning Black one running 2.0.

Line 6 support was willing to do a return and repair them, but swapping them at Guitar Center was far quicker.

I marked the working interface after I read your comment!

Any way to tell a "working" interface from one that isn't?  I just got my JTV-69 from Sweetwater.  I had them flash it to 2.0 before checking it out so I have not had to do that.  I connected to Monkey with my interface that it came with and verified that I had 2.0.  I also have the old workbench USB interface that I use with my old 500.  I assume it will also work with the JTV but I have not tried it.  The old interface is much different physically than the new one - many times larger but I bet it is the same functionally.  I never had any trouble flashing my 500 - had to do it a couple different times.

Any way to tell a "working" interface from one that isn't? 

Here's how I can tell -

WORKING JTV INTERFACE:

line-6-pod-hd500-454098.jpg

NON-WORKING JTV INTERFACE:

VARIAX-WORKBENCH-2.jpg?1360400568

Some USB Dongle testimonials from satisfied users:

Just heard from PSarkissian at Line 6 and it was a faulty interface box that fried my guitar.

I had a similar issue with the first two JTV 59's.  The first unit shipped with two interfaces. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong one and it got bricked. The second one failed as well. It alao came with two interfaces.

POD HD500 as interface for JTV firmware update...GOOOOOOD! :) Workbench USB Dongle as interface for JTV firmware update... BAAAAAAAAAAAD!!! :angry:  GRRRRRRRR!!!

Hint: Don't use the USB interface for updating the JTV firmware if you have other options.

Also, find other options.

• Upvote 1