Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What does the input pad actually DO?

Verne-Bunsen

Not "What is the input pad FOR", I get that, but "What does it actually DO?" I only want to use it on a couple of patches, but since it's a Global parameter I have to go and manually turn it on when I want it and off when I don't. Which is to say I have to remember to do that. I would like to just build it in to those patches and call it a day. From looking at my raw signal at the input meter on my DAW, it looks like the pad drops the input signal by about 6db. Is there more to it than that or will an eq/gain block set to -6db at the beginning of the chain accomplish the same thing?

Thanks!

VB

Even though all of the guitars I am using lately are passive, I am using the input pad. I find I am able to drive the amps distortion farther without it sounding "unnatural". To my ears it gives me a more 'Creamy" "Smoothed out" overdrive sound. Kind of like compression but without the squash and added noise!! If that's makes any sense.

• Upvote 3

I think the question might work like this - does the input pad happen before the AtoD conversion?

Then there would be a difference between you doing in in globals and you doing it as a first step in a patch.

If not then they would have to be the same.

Again, if by using the input pad, you are only reducing gain at the start of an effects chain - it would not matter. But if you are actually getting a better Analog to Digital conversion by using or not using the pad, you would want to know which produces the best result.  (Probably relates to conversations about some form of metering in Helix.)

If you are recording into a DAW, maybe do both and see if you can hear a difference?  Probably hearing is the best way to judge.

I think using an overdrive or distortion might help uncover any difference?

Let us know your results.

Even though all of the guitars I am using lately are passive, I am using the input pad. I find I am able to drive the amps distortion farther without it sounding "unnatural". To my ears it gives me a more 'Creamy" "Smoothed out" overdrive sound. Kind of like compression but without the squash and added noise!! If that's makes any sense.

Interesting... and intriguing... I'm using all passives myself, but I have two guitars sporting humbuckers and, while the humbuckers aren't "hot" by my standards (Gibson Classic 57s and 498T/490R), I have a very difficult time controlling them in Helix. They play nicely with the pad. Maybe that will be something to try: turn the pad on and leave it on, see if I like how my single coils play with it?

I think the question might work like this - does the input pad happen before the AtoD conversion?

Then there would be a difference between you doing in in globals and you doing it as a first step in a patch.

If not then they would have to be the same.

Again, if by using the input pad, you are only reducing gain at the start of an effects chain - it would not matter. But if you are actually getting a better Analog to Digital conversion by using or not using the pad, you would want to know which produces the best result.  (Probably relates to conversations about some form of metering in Helix.)

If you are recording into a DAW, maybe do both and see if you can hear a difference?  Probably hearing is the best way to judge.

I think using an overdrive or distortion might help uncover any difference?

Let us know your results.

Good observation. Perhaps a Line 6 insider will chime in on where the pad is applied? I'll do some listening/recording and see what I can hear...

I turn pad on, for reasons that Glenn articulated rather well in his above post. Also, my guitar uses passive humbuckers, dimarzio evolutions, and are maybe a bit hotter than other pickups. Depending on how close they are to the strings, I can pretty easily get the input signal (usb7) to clip when using a DAW as the meter.

Not "What is the input pad FOR", I get that, but "What does it actually DO?" I only want to use it on a couple of patches, but since it's a Global parameter I have to go and manually turn it on when I want it and off when I don't. Which is to say I have to remember to do that. I would like to just build it in to those patches and call it a day. From looking at my raw signal at the input meter on my DAW, it looks like the pad drops the input signal by about 6db. Is there more to it than that or will an eq/gain block set to -6db at the beginning of the chain accomplish the same thing?

Thanks!

VB

It does the same think but you save a block slot and it's a global parameter so if you use always the same guitar you'll set it only one time for all.

Thanks for all of the input (no pun intended... Maybe a little...), much appreciated. I think I'm going to try applying the pad and working with it across the board. I've been putting compressors up front on even my single coil clean tones, this might just be a good thing all around!

Interesting... and intriguing... I'm using all passives myself, but I have two guitars sporting humbuckers and, while the humbuckers aren't "hot" by my standards (Gibson Classic 57s and 498T/490R), I have a very difficult time controlling them in Helix. They play nicely with the pad. Maybe that will be something to try: turn the pad on and leave it on, see if I like how my single coils play with it?

I have pretty much the same Pickups in my second guitar. My main guitar is a Strat with vintage style pickups (lower output). I noticed that with the humbucker guitar works better when the Pad is on. Strat works better with Pad off.

Therefore I'd love to have the Pad in the Patch in addition to the global setting.

There's already an Idea to vote on Ideascale:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Guitar-in-Impedance-and-input-pad-per-patch/800290-23508

I have pretty much the same Pickups in my second guitar. My main guitar is a Strat with vintage style pickups (lower output). I noticed that with the humbucker guitar works better when the Pad is on. Strat works better with Pad off.

Therefore I'd love to have the Pad in the Patch in addition to the global setting.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Guitar-in-Impedance-and-input-pad-per-patch/800290-23508

Voted!

Helix's Guitar Input has a digitally-controlled analog pad before A/D conversion. FWIW, the impedance circuit is the same.

Thanks for that DI, good to know that definitively.

• 1 year later...

From my experience. If you are using a real world amp and using Helix as effects only then switch the pad off. It sounds as though there is a blanket on my Deluxe Reverb with it on.....so much so I was considering a speaker swap. Other factors to consider are cable lengths / capacitance /pickups used. In the case of real world amps what strength signal the amp is expecting. I would suggest that the Pad is for active Pickups. 

On 9/1/2016 at 8:04 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

Helix's Guitar Input has a digitally-controlled analog pad before A/D conversion. FWIW, the impedance circuit is the same.

Hey DI. I have a JTV Variax. Does the input pad work if I select the JTV Variax mag pickups instead of the JTV Variax modelling? I'm guessing not but I am curious.

2 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

Hey DI. I have a JTV Variax. Does the input pad work if I select the JTV Variax mag pickups instead of the JTV Variax modelling? I'm guessing not but I am curious.

No... The input pad only affects the 1/4" Guitar In.

On 8/29/2016 at 2:56 AM, GlennDeLaune said:

This is interesting. I'll have to check if I'm using the input pad, I think I do (passive humbucker bass). Electrically, there should be a bit of noise added if impedance stays the same and you're turning the (amp) gain up higher, but maybe the Helix has a high enough signal to noise ratio that it doesn't matter in practice.

On 9/1/2016 at 2:55 PM, Dshow said:

For input pad per patch, just add a volume block at the front, set to however much to pad, and you can toggle on and off.

For me, like you, I use the pad for humbuckers and turn it off for single coils. It reduces the gain difference, but still not enough to be able to use the same patch on both guitars.

Perhaps an option to change the amount of padding will help? E.g -3db, -6db, -9db, -12db

• Upvote 1