mapix

Blackface Fender amps: low output volume in Helix

Hi All,

I found the output volume of undistorted (preamp volume around 3-4) blackface Fender amps ultra low compared to those of all the other amps. This is particularly true for the Twin Reverb amp and slighlty less for the Deluxe Reverb.

I have to add a post amp gain of +10dB in order to have a reasonable volume setting on the amp "output volume".

Not such a big deal, but I am worried of missing something...

Is it the same for you?

• Upvote 1

Yep, same here.  Kind of a pain.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I did it post cab. Maybe Line6 could easily fix this in a next software update...

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not, I have the same problem with the Plexi amp.   Even on 10, very weak.   How did you add the 10db boost????

• Upvote 1

On my side I'm fine with the Plexi output level, but I never used it with low preamp gain so there could be the same issue. I will try!

In order to add the +10db just add a gain block after the cab (cf page 25 of the helix manual, light blue table)

• Upvote 1

I did not find a big difference in the output volume of the plexi bright channel going from 10 to 3 on the preamp (or vice versa)

Yeah some amps have rather low volume, especially if you dial back the master.

I find that the Helix has so much signal at its output that you can bring down the volume of the louder presets/amp models and still have a healthy signal to send out to a mixer or amp.