Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A Zero Snapshot

hideout

I just put this in Ideascale.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea?templateId=0

My idea is that when a preset is recalled, no Snapshot is selected. The current settings of the preset will act as Snapshot Zero. Stepping on a footswitch selects the Snapshot assigned to that footswitch. Stepping on it again re-selects Snapshot Zero - the initial settings for that preset.  Furthermore, stepping on the Preset footswitch should not recall the preset again as that would cause an interruption in the audio signal.  Instead, it would simply act as another Snapshot selector - until another preset is selected.  This idea would expand things for users who use "Snap/Preset"  setup.  It would give us effectively 5 Snapshots instead of 4.

Whaddayathink?

Cheers,

H

• Upvote 1

I agree that we need more than 4 of each, but I don't really care for this implementation. For one thing, I think it's important that recalling a preset DOES reset it to the way it's saved, so people with Snapshot Edits set to Recall have a quick and reliable way back to zero.

Did you by any chance see my navigation idea post from a while back? I think the reason we don't have 10 snapshots is to allow Bank buttons. My idea is that the Mode switch shouldn't be just be a two-state toggle. Instead it could cycle through a configurable set of choices, out of all Presets, Snapshots, or Stomps, plus whatever mixed configuration you've selected with the Preset mode switches setting. Take a look, there's a web page demo of it you can play with.

I can't see why we can't just have a mode where we can freely choose to put Stomps or Snapshots on any Footswitch we choose - like 10 Stomps mode but with the ability to add Snapshots to that if we so desire.

I guess it would be too confusing?  Those MASSIVE camera icons wouldn't be clear enough to tell us it was a Snapshot right?

While I agree that it'd be great to be able to mix and match stomp and snapshot switches, that's still only 10 switches total. I'd rather be able to have, for example, 10 presets, hit Mode and get 10 snapshots, hit Mode again and get 10 stomps, or the mixed mode you set up with the Preset Mode Switches setting. I'd also like to be able to set what to show after recalling a preset, and after recalling a snapshot, like an enhanced version of Snapshot Mode Footswitches > Auto Return.

That's what that post talks about and demos.

I can't see why we can't just have a mode where we can freely choose to put Stomps or Snapshots on any Footswitch we choose - like 10 Stomps mode but with the ability to add Snapshots to that if we so desire.

I guess it would be too confusing?  Those MASSIVE camera icons wouldn't be clear enough to tell us it was a Snapshot right?

I think that sounds pretty swell too! Vote it on up!

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Option-to-assign-Snapshots-to-switches-in-10-Switch-Stomp-Mode/833058-23508

I agree that we need more than 4 of each, but I don't really care for this implementation. For one thing, I think it's important that recalling a preset DOES reset it to the way it's saved, so people with Snapshot Edits set to Recall have a quick and reliable way back to zero.

I think you misunderstand what I'm proposing.  I just want to change the way the snapshots operate in one simple way.  When a preset is called up, it would load the settings and amp models for that preset but although  the Snapshots will appear in either the top or bottom row (whichever you've chosen), none of them will be selected. Each Snapshot will be used as a 'modifier' for the preset. Now, as to stepping on the preset footswitch again, this would in effect deactivate the selected Snapshot and would be as you say, "a quick and reliable way back to zero." - All without having to reload the preset from scratch and causing a signal interruption.  Only if you choose a different preset would the settings be loaded from scratch.

If something like this were to be considered, I think a cleaner implementation might be stepping on the footswitch for the selected snapshot again, in essence turning it "off" and returning to some default set of parameters. For what it's worth, I personally think there are a lot of other things that could use attention before something like this gets to the top of the priority list.

Stepping on the active snapshot switch again to return to the zero snap I like better than if reselecting the current preset didn't discard all snapshot changes like it does today, which I thought was the original proposal. I think snapshot zero should be modifiable and recallableon the fly like the others are with Snapshot Edits set to Recall, so there needs to be an action that activates it without discarding its on-the-fly edits (reselecting the current snap), and one that DOES discard all on the fly changes (reselecting the current preset).

Make sense?

I really would love 5 (or 9) snapshots, and this is a fairly simple way to get there with the existing set of physical switches, much simpler than my mode-switch-cycling proposal. (Which for the record I still think would be cool.)

If something like this were to be considered, I think a cleaner implementation might be stepping on the footswitch for the selected snapshot again, in essence turning it "off" and returning to some default set of parameters. For what it's worth, I personally think there are a lot of other things that could use attention before something like this gets to the top of the priority list.

Yes. I neglected to mention that stepping on the active Snapshot footswitch or the Preset footswitch should indeed deactivate that snapshot and return the preset to its original settings in the preset - which is what I'm calling "Snapshot Zero".

Wait... I just re-read my original post and in fact, I did mention all this.

So you did, my bad! The part about changing how the Preset button behaved is what jumped out at me and it's what stuck. Sorry for any confusion.

Yeah. It's a complex idea. Not a problem, man.

If I do say so myself, I do think this is a very useful idea and I hope it gets implemented.

Please upvote on idea scale.