Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rotary dial no longer working!

FarleyUK

Hi all,

Anyone else have any issues with the rotary dial? I've noticed that it's stopped working - I can no longer use it to dial / twist through the settings, presets etc. The standard movement works fine still, just the dial action seems to no longer have any effect!

I haven't had any trouble with mine yet, but every time I have to make my way through a bunch of stuff with it I wonder how many "clicks" I have left before it starts acting up. I've actually started doing more of my programming on the computer in large part to spare that switch/dial some wear. Sorry to hear you are having trouble and I'll be following to see how it turns out for you!

Yup @Verne I'm there with you. On any of my synths\samplers etc if there was a computer editor that's what I'd do the lions share of preset building and editing on, spare the rotaries and buttons on the hardware unit for live performance or when I had no choice but to edit that way. Every click, turn, press etc is wear and tear, and even if it's ;have to press a certain button harder to engage' or the likes it always frustrates me. Your choice is usually live with it, or go through the painful shipping to support route...so longterm worth it. Have to say, the lifetime of the components on units that I use software editors for is far longer than the ones where I have to make all tweaks on the units themselves. To me, even naming presets\strips\playlists etc on the helix is a lot of scrolling if you are cycling through the onboard text selection tool...editor is way to go.

Sorry to hear your woe, Helix shouldn't have a component completely stopping this soon so no doubt an unfortunate one from the factory

While I prefer to edit on the unit itself, you guys bring up a very valid point of component life.  

The main reason why I prefer to do it on the unit, is screen real estate.  I use only 2 screens, and the editor can take up a decent portion on one of these screens.  Its why I have built a stand that has the unit at an angle for me for quick/easy access with my right hand.  

I want my Helix to last me for many years. So I think It may be a good idea for me to use the Editor as a supplement, especially if building presets from scratch, or bouncing between many presets.

I guess I have the opposite opinion when it comes to turning knobs, pressing buttons and whatnot. The duty cycle on these items should be in the hundreds of thousands, so even under the heaviest use, they shouldn't be expected to break. So if there is a defect in a component, you'd want it to show up early on. So that means you want to use it in the way it was designed to be used. You shouldn't be expected to treat it with kid gloves.

Yeah, I agree with Phil. These things are certainly not cheap, so I would expect all components to be very robust - not break after minimal usage 3 months into ownership.

I've been told there's a 4 to 6 week turnaround - I really can't do without it for that long due to studio work etc., so will have a word with Andertons and see if I can do anything :(

Anyone else have any issues with the rotary dial? 

Yeah, it's because of the digital phone systems.  Most house lines you can still use a pulse phone (rotary dial) but many digital or voip you need a converter...

Oh.... what....  you mean the dial on the Helix...   nevermind.

I had the same issue but my Helix was purchased from the USA and not under warranty in Australia. Luckily I know a technician who took the unit apart and found that the wires that connect the rotary switch had broken. He repaired it and stated that the wires used were too fine to cope with wear and tear. He replaced the wires with a higher guage and all is good. No doubt Line 6 will upgrade future Helix as a result of ever increasing failures that seem to be reported. I now have a scribble strip with a line through it, I suspect again through using cheap chinese parts. Good luck with yours.