Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69s Gold sparkle USA

Hello, 

I just bought a JTV Variax online from GC.

I had not read anything about them other than Youtube demos, the only thing I knew was the models 69,89,59,

I also knew there was a Korean and US model of the 59 and the US was expensive. 

so when I got online and perused the used section of guitars I came across a JTV -69s with updated pups for a little over $600, I jumped on it thinking it was a great price for the Korean made guitar. When I received the guitar it was in excellent condition (listed as good) not a scratch or worn fret, upon further look, I noticed it said USA on the front next to the Variax. On the back it says handcrafted in USA. Did I just get a deal? I can't find a price for these anywhere.

is GC that Guitarded? or am I? So far I am enjoying the sounds and feel of a good guitar. ONE PROBLEM I have not found an answer to is how to intonate, is it a set neck? no truss rod? what tool is used for the saddles?

any help is greatly appreciated, I would rather be playing than writing and researching.

Hello,

I just bought a JTV Variax online from GC.

I had not read anything about them other than Youtube demos, the only thing I knew was the models 69,89,59,

I also knew there was a Korean and US model of the 59 and the US was expensive.

so when I got online and perused the used section of guitars I came across a JTV -69s with updated pups for a little over $600, I jumped on it thinking it was a great price for the Korean made guitar. When I received the guitar it was in excellent condition (listed as good) not a scratch or worn fret, upon further look, I noticed it said USA on the front next to the Variax. On the back it says handcrafted in USA. Did I just get a deal? I can't find a price for these anywhere.

is GC that Guitarded? or am I? So far I am enjoying the sounds and feel of a good guitar. ONE PROBLEM I have not found an answer to is how to intonate, is it a set neck? no truss rod? what tool is used for the saddles?

any help is greatly appreciated, I would rather be playing than writing and researching.

Is GC "guitarded"? You ever set foot in one? I've had more intelligent conversations with the residents of the primate habitat at the Bronx Zoo...

Well you said it's used...I see one of two possible scenarios here:

1)The Rhodes Scholar who took it in and/or priced it before it went out on the floor didn't know what he was looking at, probably doesn't know that the made-to-order US versions even exist, much less that new ones sell for nearly $4K (which is wildly absurd for what you're actually getting, but that's another discussion entirely).

Or

2) Whomever sold it to GC that day had stolen it, also didn't know what he had in his hands, and all parties concerned were assuming it to be the Korean version.

In short, if it actually is US version, then yes...it's a steal as far as the price is concerned. Personally though, I'm skeptical that the US ones are actually worth more than 4x the cost of the Korean versions.

Bassboy, consider yourself lucky. If it says Handcrafted in the USA, you've got a USA custom shop model. The Koreans say "Crafted in Korea."

Another FAST way to tell is via the serial number. The Korean's all start with a W (Line 6 outsourced the builds to World Musical Instruments in Seoul - same place makes PRS SE and lots of other high quality instruments). The USA models just start with a number. I have both a JTV 59 Korean and a USA. Both great axes.

That, BTW, is by FAR the best deal I have ever heard on anyone getting into a USA JTV Variax.

Congrats!

Bradley GT

Right, the US ones have a locking version of those tuners.

The ones in the photo look like the ones that go in the US 59's.

" serial 141002",... 2014, nice.

Right, normally comes with the hard-shell case, company that

does vintage style like cases.

Right, the US ones have a locking version of those tuners.

The ones in the photo look like the ones that go in the US 59's.

" serial 141002",... 2014, nice.

Right, normally comes with the hard-shell case, company that

does vintage style like cases.

My first Quality guitar so please excuse the dumb question, how do you adjust the truss rod? do you have to remove the neck? or the pick quard?

My first Quality guitar so please excuse the dumb question, how do you adjust the truss rod? do you have to remove the neck? or the pick quard?

Depends on where the access is...some have it at the headstock, others at the heel, which may or may not require removing the neck...some designs, such as Warmoth's "modern construction" necks have the screw at the heel, but on the side of the neck so removal isn't required. If there's no access hole at the headstock, you'll probably be removing the neck. Tread cautiously if you're unfamiliar with truss rod adjustments...

Depends on where the access is...some have it at the headstock, others at the heel, which may or may not require removing the neck...some designs, such as Warmoth's "modern construction" necks have the screw at the heel, but on the side of the neck so removal isn't required. If there's no access hole at the headstock, you'll probably be removing the neck. Tread cautiously if you're unfamiliar with truss rod adjustments...

Thanks, I have never had a guitar or bass that you remove the neck. a bit of a pain, but considering how easy it is to string up...

Thanks, I have never had a guitar or bass that you remove the neck. a bit of a pain, but considering how easy it is to string up...

I will never understand designs that require removing the neck to adjust the truss rod. It's just plain stupid...and it turns a 1.4 second adjustment into a ten minute odyssey. Plus, you might end up having to do it several times over a couple of days, as you make adjustments and the neck settles into it's new position(s). Over time, repeatedly taking the neck on and off is gonna strip the threads in one or more of those holes. I've been there...then it's gotta be doweled and re-drilled. Doesn't do the neck or the strings themselves any favors either, having tension go back and forth from zero to 100+lbs (depending on the guage) repeatedly. And it's sll wildly unnecessary, if they'd just put the damn screw at the headstock, or the side adjustment screw at the heel.

Should be a crescent shaped cut-out on the pick-guard to

access the rod nut on the US 69 models.

Should never have to unbolt the neck to adjust a rod. Aside

from the afore mentioned things that "cruisinon2" points out,

pulling off the neck and back on again to adjust a rod,...

... is a great way to warp the neck over time.

Should be a crescent shaped cut-out on the pick-guard to

access the rod nut on the US 69 models.

Should never have to unbolt the neck to adjust a rod. Aside

from the afore mentioned things that "cruisinon2" points out,

pulling off the neck and back on again to adjust a rod,...

... is a great way to warp the neck over time.

Which makes you wonder why those designs exist...makes no sense

I know. It's probably a nostalgic. retro kind of thing.

I prefer rod nuts at the head-stock myself. But still,

those US version JTV's are pretty good.

i do not have a cut out on the pickquard, but I see the nut, looks like I'll have a pro set it up for me.

It seems That I also have the 6th string E that is very close to falling off the edgenear the body. I heard this was a problem on Korean models. Did US models have this, or is it just a set up issue, or nut issue? It does not affect my playing as I do not shred, but it seems string spacing is off.

Have a photo? 

Of that and the rest of the guitar.

It was Hi-E slip, due to an old fret spec. It didn't involve the US versions.

If it's the low-E, then something else is going on here,... maybe neck wasn't

aligned during whatever work was done on this.

Odd,... a US guitar with a Korean cut version pick-guard? And custom pick-ups?

A series of photos would be good for me to better evaluate this.

Odd,... a US guitar with a Korean cut version pick-guard? And custom pick-ups?

A series of photos would be good for me to better evaluate this.

Given the price and the apparent inconsistencies in the description vs. what a US version should be, this smells like a heavily discounted hatchet job. Only question is, was it butchered by the clowns at GC, or by the guy who sold it to them?

Not certain,... hence the reason to want to see photos.

I've done a couple of customized 69's for a couple of my

colleagues here at Line 6. But this wouldn't be one of mine,

... isn't using Duncan single coils.

Sounds like a good deal on a nice guitar, that can use a tweak or two.

Not certain,... hence the reason to want to see photos.

I've done a couple of customized 69's for a couple of my

colleagues here at Line 6. But this wouldn't be one of mine,

... isn't using Duncan single coils.

Sounds like a good deal on a nice guitar, that can use a tweak or two.

Not able to post pics for some reason. My email is 2clean1103@att.net. Email me and I will gladly send pics.

Could be the original owner changed the pickguard like I did on my Korean gold JTV 69S, and got one from fullcompass. I put the white pearloid one on - it looks great to me. No cut out at the neck...

Sounds like the OP lucked out. Another advantage to the US version is the neck is quarter sawn, so would be a somewhat denser wood less likely to warp than the normal necks.

Dave

Is GC "guitarded"? You ever set foot in one?

Yah, staffing is pretty hit-and-miss at GC's - there ARE some decent folks here and there but the bell curve sits a lot closer to the low end. 

And yeah, they can absolutely be muttonheads as regards what they've got on the shelf - walked into my local some years back and saw a DrumKat sitting behind the counter.  Inquired, and was told it was a trade in - they were asking $50.

Bought it immediately - those puppies retail for $1500.  Had Alternate Mode send me a new power supply, been working fine ever since....   SCORE!