Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there a way to route the AUX input directly to the output?

mileskb

Excuse the rudimentary ask, but I seem to have gone brain dead....

For some reason, I thought there was a way to route the AUX input directly to the output for "playing along" with tracks, or is that just USB?

I don't want to use ANY "path" or "blocks" to do this.   

What I'm trying to do, is A/B devices and effects with the Helix without using an 2nd/external mixer.

Excuse the rudimentary ask, but I seem to have gone brain dead....

For some reason, I thought there was a way to route the AUX input directly to the output for "playing along" with tracks, or is that just USB?

I don't want to use ANY "path" or "blocks" to do this.   

What I'm trying to do, is A/B devices and effects with the Helix without using an 2nd/external mixer.

You can just select "Multi" for your input block, this will allow the Guitar and Aux inputs to work simultaneously, then just select "Multi" or whatever you prefer (e.g. 1/4 or XLR) for your output block and both your music and guitar will be routed to the same destination. If you want to get more complicated (which you indicated you did not) you can use separate output blocks to route the music and guitar to different destinations.

I guess I should have been clearer...  Setting is to multi certainly does allow the Aux and Guitar inputs to work simultaneously, but the AUX is run through paths too.

I am looking for a way to bring one signal in on the AUX (or some other way) and straight out the output stage unprocessed... 

Another scenario would be...  backing tracks..  I don't want to affect the backing tracks..  I just want to play along with them.   I could have sworn there was a way to do this.

I too wanted to play backing tracks and recordings of songs I was learning through Helix without processing them. AFAIK, the only way to do that is to set up a parallel path, which consumes DSP and complicates your patch(es) in ways you probably don't want for normal use.

There's no built in way to simply route an input to an output and mix it with processed signal. My understanding is that market research told them that Helix was a pro product, and pros don't need or want "MP3 playback" through their guitar rigs, even if they're probably plugged into pretty much full-fidelity speakers. Personally, I would have though they might like to listen to a demo of the keyboard player's new song, etc, but I guess the idea is that they'll use their awesome studio console and monitors, or the PA, or something.

I ended up plugging a player (my phone actually, short-term quick and dirty solution) directly into the second inputs of my Alesis Alpha 112s. Kind of clunky, but it worked ok.

Plug external source into a pair of FX Loop In sockets.

Add an stereo FX Loop Return block that brings those inputs at the end of the paths just before the Helix Output and set mix to 50%.

You should get the input mixed with the guitar processed signal.  Only a single very low DSP block is required.

Yes. You need to do that on every preset where you want that input, and it drops out when you change presets. The dropping out of your guitar you can maybe manage by switching in short spots where you don't play, but it's pretty annoying to have your backing track drop out too.

You probably also don't want that change in real presets you use live or in the studio, though I guess it's ok, assuming your levels are still where you want them after adding the 50% (or whatever) split.

Short version: There are things you can do, they're not ideal, and the Helix design spec says that's ok. In reality, it's ok w me too, though not ideal.

Where are your backing tracks coming from? If its from a computer, iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Android device with class-compliant audio drivers, connect it via USB. Then from Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Knob 5 (USB In 1/2 Destination), choose the desired output (Multi, 1/4", or XLR). This feature was specifically designed for routing backing tracks to outputs while bypassing any of Helix's processing. You can also set the level from Knob 6 (USB In 1/2 Trim).

Aux is mono anyway. If you have a CD player, minidisc player, DAT machine, standalone HDR, or something else, I'd recommend using a pair of the FX Returns and routing it through an unused stereo path. (Helix has four of 'em.)

• 7 years later...
On 9/1/2016 at 3:02 PM, Rewolf48 said:

Plug external source into a pair of FX Loop In sockets.

Add an stereo FX Loop Return block that brings those inputs at the end of the paths just before the Helix Output and set mix to 50%.

You should get the input mixed with the guitar processed signal.  Only a single very low DSP block is required.

Great, thanks it works