Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

WAH ...... " OFF " at Heel -or- " OFF " at Toe ..... can this be done with FW 2.0.1 ?

benifin

Hi all

As I understand it, FW  2.0.1  does not allow  for  Auto-Engage /  Auto Dis-Engage  of the WAH on its movement and stoppage ..... however .... I was wondering,  can  the WAH in   FW 2.0.1  be configured so that it is   Auto-OFF  @ Heel   /  Toe  ?

For example ..... the  usual WAH Pedal CC Calibration Range  is   0  <->  127 ..... so instead of this ....

=>  with FW 2.0.1  can the  WAH Pedal Active Calibration range be set to  [say]   05  <->  122  so that   WAH  CC  0 <-> 04  is WAH OFF at Heel  -and-  CC 123 <-> 127 is WAH OFF at TOE  ?

Hoping the above makes sense.

Ben

• Upvote 1

Here are my old settings for "heel down wah off". Im using a Mission Helix SP1-L6 pedal, but that shouldnt matter as these settings should work with any good foot controller. Feel free to adjust your own settings. I have since adjusted the Maximum value (toe down) on the high freq to 1.3 Khz, and to my ears its better now. The point is, at heel down the percentage of the wah go's to zero, and its now shut off, (tone go's back to original without wah on) and the moment you rock it forward the Wah is back on.

Wah settings

• Upvote 1

Here are my old settings for "heel down wah off". Im using a Mission Helix SP1-L6 pedal, but that shouldnt matter as these settings should work with any good foot controller. Feel free to adjust your own settings. I have since adjusted the Maximum value (toe down) on the high freq to 1.3 Khz, and to my ears its better now. The point is, at heel down the percentage of the wah go's to zero, and its now shut off, (tone go's back to original without wah on) and the moment you rock it forward the Wah is back on.

Wah settings

Many thanks - so just to be clear  [ from my end - Im a bit slow at these sorts of things :) ]  ..... the above can be done with the current FW 2.0.1  ?

Ben

Wah settings

what ? how have you done this without the mix being very low when the EXP is near the heal position ?

what ? how have you done this without the mix being very low when the EXP is near the heal position ?

I literally just tried this out on a Helix patch one minute ago, and this wah trick is super sweet, thanks Spikey!!  

And yes, it does 'fade out' the mix of the wah effect as the pedal travels towards the heel, so you can lose some of that weird low end lwo mid frequency muddy flutter that the wah would normally do in that position. For me, I never like that low end of the wah travel anyway, so this is perfect; since I prefer it for high and upper/central mid effect; and it sure makes using the wah easier on the fly!

I think the way to go would be test these setting with a few of your 'go to' wah models, and see how it impacts them, as opposed to without. Make a duplicate wah block, and set one to just use the 'regular' settings, and the other to use these settings.

I've got this on the Chrome custom, sounds fantastic!

Thanks Colonel for the kind words ! For me the loss on the low end "wah" tone is so minimal because kinda it fades back to normal.  I don't know how else to describe it, but this works well for me until we get a real "heel-down wah-off" fix/setting like Fractal has in the Axe FX II.

• 1 year later...

I literally just tried this out on a Helix patch one minute ago, and this wah trick is super sweet, thanks Spikey!!  

And yes, it does 'fade out' the mix of the wah effect as the pedal travels towards the heel, so you can lose some of that weird low end lwo mid frequency muddy flutter that the wah would normally do in that position. For me, I never like that low end of the wah travel anyway, so this is perfect; since I prefer it for high and upper/central mid effect; and it sure makes using the wah easier on the fly!

I think the way to go would be test these setting with a few of your 'go to' wah models, and see how it impacts them, as opposed to without. Make a duplicate wah block, and set one to just use the 'regular' settings, and the other to use these settings.

I've got this on the Chrome custom, sounds fantastic!

Can you guys post on customtone? I am trying to accomplish the heel down thing right now and it doesn't come easy to me.