Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Startup Noise

musicimpossible

Agreed that speakers should common on last however, this never happened before until I performed the update. Very digital in sound - horrible "crackling" noise is the best I can explain it. I could turn the speakers on last yes, but the issue is still there which make me concerned about whether this effects anything else or is a hardware / software issue? 

Did the update to my Helix Rack. All was well until yesterday - as I was in the Helix boot up stage, I heard an intense "crackling" noise which went away after about 15 seconds. Happened again today? Anyone else? 

I also agree with powering up speakers last but this should not be happening. I would definitely try swapping out every cable in my signal chain from the guitar cord to whatever you have plugged into the PA or your monitors from the Helix. I would also try an isolated electrical outlet for the Helix. This has not been my experience with starting the Helix. Does it happen on every preset? Does it happen in multiple locations (different rooms or buildings)?

Solved: USB Connection was ever so loose. Don't think that is the tightest system I have seen but all USB "B" plugs never go in all the way anyway. They all seem to not fit quite right.

Glad you found it, interesting it was the USB connection. I have actually found the USB connection on my Helix to not be as snug as many other devices I own. Has anyone else noticed a loose USB connection when they plug into the Helix? I have tried it with multiple USB cables so I believe it is the jack and not the cable end. It has not caused me any issues so far but it is a little "unsettling".

Haven't noticed it being particularly loose, but I don't leave it plugged in. Only use it updates and backups, and the occasional use of the editor. I had the 500(X), and heard many reports of breaking usb jacks, so became very careful with it. Carried over to my Helix. I got in the habit of editing directly on my 500(X), and find the Helix so easy in that respect.

Luckily, have not heard reports of usb jack breakage on the Helix, so far, and that's a good thing. Old habits die hard.

I also get a ground loop when hooked up usb with my amp (on a different circuit) , so i built a little 1:1 isolation transformer between the Helix and the amp for when I do use the editor. So most of the time, I just avoid hooking up to my pc...

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I have this crackling noise intermittently and it even makes other speaker sources crackle when not plugged in to the Helix. It has driven me mad. Changed cables and kettle leads. It sounds like Helix is causing electronic interference. This isn't ideal as I play at a lot of high end gigs and locations. Any solutions. Is it as simple as the USB being loose? Did you have to re solder it?

I have this crackling noise intermittently and it even makes other speaker sources crackle when not plugged in to the Helix. It has driven me mad. Changed cables and kettle leads. It sounds like Helix is causing electronic interference. This isn't ideal as I play at a lot of high end gigs and locations. Any solutions. Is it as simple as the USB being loose? Did you have to re solder it?