Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using my Helix as a Page turner for my Android Tablet ?

petessier

Hello guys !

I'm wondering if there is a way to use the Helix as a midi controller for an Android/iPad tablet in order to turn pages on PDF files.

The aim is to turn the pages of my lyrics files stored on the tablet.

This would be great, and would let me avoid the buying of a specific pedal for this.

• Upvote 1

Yes ! 

You can assign any pedal to a MIDI control message. 

For example theres already many people using Loopy HD and using HELIX t send MIDI control message to it to launch loops etc - and your page turning task would be a cinch compared to this. So ..... YES ! 

see here: 

• Upvote 1

Hello guys !

I'm wondering if there is a way to use the Helix as a midi controller for an Android/iPad tablet in order to turn pages on PDF files.

The aim is to turn the pages of my lyrics files stored on the tablet.

This would be great, and would let me avoid the buying of a specific pedal for this.

Yes ! 

You can assign any pedal to a MIDI control message. 

For example theres already many people using Loopy HD and using HELIX t send MIDI control message to it to launch loops etc - and your page turning task would be a cinch compared to this. So ..... YES ! 

see here: 

Great idea Petessier! If anyone gets this going I hope they post the specifics here on what hardware (the camera kit?) and what the midi programming steps are for the iPad. This would make a great backup or even replacement for my PageFlip Firefly.

Seems you'd lose 1 switch for stomp/snapshot use, or 2 if you'd set it up for forward/back use. Most people are requesting more foot switches...

Just something to consider....

Dave

True, losing available footswitches was my first thought but at the very least I would have the Helix as a backup for my PageFlip if it failed. You could also always use a small external midi switch pedal if you don't want to lose any pedals but that kind of defeats the purpose of using the Helix for page switching. Too bad the Helix doesn't have Bluetooth like my PageFlip, wireless can be a beautiful thing.

I'd like to do this with tab pro on my iPad.

I want to program a helix button to scroll down.

In tab pro under midi command is the scroll down section.

When I choose this it says waiting for command.

This is where I don't know what to do next on the helix.

Do I just go to command center and assign a bottom to any midi command. Or would there be a specific midi command I would have to select?

I'm using the camera connection kit to hook up my helix to the iPad.

Wahou !

I didn't expect so much quick answers and interest !

So, this seems possible to achieve. That's a good point.

I think I'll need a USB/Midi converter in order to connect the Helix with my tablet.

My presets do not use all of the stomps, so I assume that it won't be a problem to "lose" one or two of them.

Let's continue ! :)

OK, so I borrowed a USB/Midi device from my brother in law, and plugged it to my tablet through a USB OTG device.

With Midi monitor on my tablet, I can see that a signal is well sent from the Helix to the tablet.

My question is now to know how can I discover the good midi signal I have to send to turn a page in Adobe Reader...

OK, so I borrowed a USB/Midi device from my brother in law, and plugged it to my tablet through a USB OTG device.

With Midi monitor on my tablet, I can see that a signal is well sent from the Helix to the tablet.

My question is now to know how can I discover the good midi signal I have to send to turn a page in Adobe Reader...

I'm curious to see if I can get it working with the OnSong application on the iPad.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...