Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Practicing without the POD ( VDI cable and Guitar Rig? )

I'm trying to find a way to extend my practice time by connecting my JTV ( or strat ) to a laptop and leaving the HD500x for final pre-gig setup and practice.  Although I upgraded to a much better VDI cable I suppose I could use the original one to get a JTV - USB - laptop connection, but not sure how that would work with software like Guitar Rig.  Or I could get something like the guitar link.

Ideally I'd have something better than a bare guitar signal ( a few effects ) which could mix with a slowed down mp3 or youtube video for practice out through headphones.

Behringer Guitar Link

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-5-player/

The VDI/USB connection to a computer only works with Line 6 software products like Workbench and Monkey. It uses a proprietary protocol that other manufacturer's products cannot make use of.

You can, however, use the JTV analog output (1/4") and the battery to use the JTV just like any other guitar with the products you mention.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that.  I guess another option is running Apple's Garageband in a Windows MAC OS virtual machine.  I'm just basically trying to get a more comfortable arrangement for practice since where the POD is set up, I have to stand.  Reducing wear and tear on the POD is on my mind, although probably irrelevant.

To be honest, I leave my POD on... a lot, I'm one to believe that modern electronics are better off getting a constant current through them, rather then being switched on and off constantly!

But of course as stated you can use any setup that takes the standard 1/4" jack! :)

I use Rocksmith sometimes to practice and come out of the 1/4 socket on the 59. I mostly use the mags to save bothering with the battery and if you arnt to worried about tone/model you can always use mags when connecting to a computer.

Don't want to spend your money for you but I recently invested in an Amplifi 30 for practice and it is amazing! You still have to use battery/mags through 1/4 but the sound you can get plus being able to play along to any track at any volume as made me get the guitar out more often than usual! And it doesn't take up much more space than a tablet and you can use it as a hi-fi speaker too!

Thanks for that. I guess another option is running Apple's Garageband in a Windows MAC OS virtual machine. I'm just basically trying to get a more comfortable arrangement for practice since where the POD is set up, I have to stand. Reducing wear and tear on the POD is on my mind, although probably irrelevant.

Despite appearing a bit "toy-ish", Garageband is surprisingly functional. Even some of its built-in amp sims aren't horrible. You will need an interface however, and while I have no experience with that Behringer unit, for $20, I wouldn't expect miracles. You may find you end up with latency issues. Check out the Focusrite 2i Scarlett...it's ideal for using amp-sim software, whatever you choose. Very low latency, I've had no problems at all. Also comes with a quite a few FX plug-ins, compressors, reverbs, an "all-in-one" mastering tool for polishing a final mix (of which I was initially skeptical, but I can't argue with the results). ~$179 if memory serves.