Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

harmoniser

pete1975

ok,ive tried and tried and i just cant get anything resembling a harmony out of this things,its like a garbled mess!!!.

yes im in tune,yes its the first block in the chain,any ideas?

i had been using a boss gt-10 and it did it perfectly!!! and had user scales!!!

cheers

It might help if you gave us a bit more info about what you're trying to accomplish with the harmonizer and which one you're using.

If you're trying to accomplish dual or triple guitar leads and are using the Twin Harmony (Eventide H3000), the first problem might be that you have it first in the chain.  I get much cleaner results if I position it after the amp and cab, particularly if you're using any kind of overdriven signal.  Also, if you only want dual harmonies and not triple harmonies, set the second harmony on the twin harmony to 0 as the offset for the harmony (which will be the same as the lead line you're playing).  Personally, I start with a single harmony and expand it if necessary, because once I have the settings for one harmony correct, any additional harmony will be correct as well.

You need to know a couple of things about the key of the song (and lead scale being used) in order to set it correctly such as major key or minor key, as that determines the scale being used for the harmonies in most cases.  Beyond that you just set the harmony offset for the traditional harmonic triad.  In other words, the first harmony would be the third (+3), second harmony would be the fifth (+5) in most cases.  It's hard to give you exact settings because the selection for key, scale, and harmony offset is really dependent upon the song, but those are the basics.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

The harmonizers and pitch shifters arent polyphonic so thats probably the warbling. Which is a shame because the only reason I use the digitech whammy pedal into my Helix is because the model Line6 made just isnt as good.

Poly models would use lots of DSP though but saving a space for a pedal on stage would be easier and could just change preset for it when needed Id be happy in just doing that. But it is what it is, no idea if they will update it

The harmonizers and pitch shifters arent polyphonic so thats probably the warbling. Which is a shame because the only reason I use the digitech whammy pedal into my Helix is because the model Line6 made just isnt as good.

Poly models would use lots of DSP though but saving a space for a pedal on stage would be easier and could just change preset for it when needed Id be happy in just doing that. But it is what it is, no idea if they will update it

I use the dual harmony effect quite often in my performances to produce harmony leads from Brian May, The Eagles, and Charlie Daniels Band with no problem at all.  It absolutely is a polyphonic effect given that polyphonic means capable of producing more than one note at a time.  I generally only use a single harmony part, but I have used three part harmonies on occasion when doing Brian May leads.  From what I can see it operates no differently from my Digitech Harmony Man which I used for years.  In fact the dual harmony effect has several more scale and mode options than did my Harmony Man which increases the accuracy of the harmonies it produces.

Of course, the dual harmony is dependent on the person using it to understand and input the correct parameters in order to produce the correct harmonies.  It also matters greatly where you place it in the signal chain.  I've found it to be the cleanest when it's placed after the amp and cab, given that any overdrive pedal is placed before the amp and cab.

I use the dual harmony effect quite often in my performances to produce harmony leads from Brian May, The Eagles, and Charlie Daniels Band with no problem at all.  It absolutely is a polyphonic effect given that polyphonic means capable of producing more than one note at a time.  I generally only use a single harmony part, but I have used three part harmonies on occasion when doing Brian May leads.  From what I can see it operates no differently from my Digitech Harmony Man which I used for years.  In fact the dual harmony effect has several more scale and mode options than did my Harmony Man which increases the accuracy of the harmonies it produces.

Of course, the dual harmony is dependent on the person using it to understand and input the correct parameters in order to produce the correct harmonies.  It also matters greatly where you place it in the signal chain.  I've found it to be the cleanest when it's placed after the amp and cab, given that any overdrive pedal is placed before the amp and cab.

Sorry my bad, i meant to say the tracking isnt polyphonic which is why when playing chords with a harmony over it can warble heaps compared to the actualy Whammy pedal itself. I've always found in front of the amp works best but all comes to personal preference since I prefer to give the harmonizer direct guitar signal before it gets touched before anything else

Sorry my bad, i meant to say the tracking isnt polyphonic which is why when playing chords with a harmony over it can warble heaps compared to the actualy Whammy pedal itself. I've always found in front of the amp works best but all comes to personal preference since I prefer to give the harmonizer direct guitar signal before it gets touched before anything else

What I've found, at least in the case of the dual harmony, is it takes whatever signal it receives and creates a duplicated harmony signal.  What mushes things up is when you send a clean harmonized signal to something that overdrives it.  That creates a lot of noise artifacts so the harmonies aren't clean.  Placing it after the amp and drive pedals ensures the dual harmony will duplicate the exact signal it's receiving but at the harmonized level making it a much cleaner and articulated harmony.

I've got the HD400 and tried dialing in a harmony from the smart harmony option. It's loaded with tons of major/minor/pentatonic...I finally found the harmony that works for the Robert Palmer tune "Bad case of loving you/Doctor Doctor" I chose the mel/minor for the key of E - and it was working perfectly - then when I saved it to my unit - it went into psycho land harmony and I couldn't replicate it. Has any one had success with that effect?

I've never used a harmonizer before, but it would be cool to do something like the Sweet song Fox on the run (2:27 @

). Do you have to have different presets for each chord, and stomp through the song? Sorry - haven't had a chance to dig into it yet..

I've never used a harmonizer before, but it would be cool to do something like the Sweet song Fox on the run (2:27 @

). Do you have to have different presets for each chord, and stomp through the song? Sorry - haven't had a chance to dig into it yet..

This is exactly what the Dual Harmony is for and would do this quite well.  You don't have different chords you stomp in for each chord, you simply enter the key of the song and the type of scale you want to use for the lead, and the relative placement of the harmony lead part (3rd, 5th, etc.) and that's it.  Turn it on for the harmony lead part, turn it off when it's over.  Nothing to it.