Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into Firehawk compression problem

Leavon

Hi, I've just got a helix and Firehawk to replace my Hd500 dt25 rig. I'm running stereo xlrs out of the helix into the monitor ins on the FH and my signal is coming through with a crazy amount of compression (I'm not using any compressors). If I hit a note on a lead sound it starts off quiet and then volume swells. I've tried toggling pad on the input, input gate and fiddled with impedance and it's still squashing the sound. Has anyone else experienced this?

Im using the FH1500 amp and hooked up to Helix as yours is, and no Im not having that problem. How does your FH1500 amp sound by itself, with the internal patches it has? If they are still very compressed at that point, then its not Helix. Try Helix into a set of headphones, or studio monitors. Is is still compressed? If so, then its not the FH1500. Break it apart and troubleshoot. Hope that helps.

I've just tried the Helix through headphones and it's fine so deffo something at the Firehawk end, just read a thread in the Firehawk section with someone having the same problem, seems to be fine running in mono but it's like there is too much level in Stereo and it's limiting it really hard. 

• 3 months later...

I'm having this exact same problem. If I plug my Helix into the Firehawk with left and right XLR cables, the sound varies between muffled and normal across all volumes. Additionally, it is not very loud at all. If I run in mono, the problem disappears completely. The amp sounds as if it's possibly attenuating the signal due to clipping, but I have adjusted everything from the gain on the Firehawk to the volume of the Helix to the output level of the cab I'm using. The problem occurs no matter what unless I run it in mono.